PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Sometimes you gotta put your work in!!

murrieta angler
10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Howdy All!
I hit up a couple of spots on Friday and Sunday.

Friday I decided to hit the negative low tide and see why conditions have changed so dramatically down South here.
I had a meeting at 11:00, was done by 12:00 and headed over to Anglers, in Oceanside, to see if Peter had any LC’s in anchovy.
He was out but I stayed a bit and talked with rebel monk about, what else, fishing.
After words I headed up the coast to check things out.
The wind was light, the tide was already at 0 feet, the waves were almost non existent and the water was right around 62-63 degrees,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-79.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-78.jpg

I started working the area and it was almost an hour before I got anything;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-75.jpg

It looked to be around 13-14 inches.

After that it would be about half an hour before my next bite and the only species for the rest of the evening.
I reeled in a butterfly ray, let it go, got another, stepped on a few, caught another and so, and so on…etc.
I ended up catching 11 butterfly rays and probably stepped on 30-40 of them.
Here is one that I took a picture of because of the special trick it did;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-76.jpg

I kinda felt sorry for it but gave me a chuckle none the less.

I stayed till 4:00, know where all the structure has moved to and left with this parting shot;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-77.jpg

Fast forward to Sunday.
I arrived at Carlsbad at 6:40, the start of gray light, and it was quite chilly.
The temperature was 49 degrees but dry, the wind was blowing off shore, the water temp maybe 60-61 degrees, swells at 1-2 feet and waves were supposed to be 2-3 feet.
I started at an area (that last Saturday was black with weeds) where I could see down 4 feet easy, minimal salad and ideal conditions. Worked this area for an hour with no luck.
I got hit four times, stuck one, farmed it, then decided to head farther down the beach.
Everything looked good except for the lack of trenches and structure.
I finally got a BSP and another and another.
I ended up with 8 or 9 BSP, biggest maybe 9 inches and the smallest, well here it is;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-74.jpg

They sure can be aggressive! I did also get one YFC.

After 5 hours of fishing that area I drove North to the area I checked out on Friday.
Not 5 minutes into it I get hit and reel in a 15 inch YFC. But alas, it would be slow for the next half hour.
I decided to check out a new spot and see if anything was home. I was into my 3rd cast when I got a nice little bend in my rod;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-73.jpg

It taped out at 14”, would be my smallest croaker of the day, but my 18th WSB from the surf this year.
I continued working this area, but nothing else produced.
I started working my way back to the truck and arrived at a spot where there are usually some perch but after a couple of casts I got hit pretty good and got this nice YFC;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-72.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-71.jpg

It was a hair under 17”, which is my PB.
I threw him back into the water and started working the area again.
Two casts later I get hit real hard in 18” of water, it took a little line and at first I thought it was a flatty, but it turned out to be another YFC;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-70.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-69.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-68.jpg

Just over 18” and a new PB for me.

It was getting near quitting time and I was right at my trail. I threw one more for the road and got hit, it felt like another butterfly ray, which I had 2 for the day, but was my 5th species of the day;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-67.jpg

Well hello little buddy!
It was my first halibut in over a week.
What a great way to end the day!!

Since this crazy high tide stuff is leaving us, maybe things will get back to normal.

Have A Good Week,

Robert
<><

n1ckxlam
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Tough day, but like you said, gotta put that time in. Great job Robert

Which Way Out
10-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Crazy amounts of fish all in one day. Not to mention what looks like the same LC all day.
Good fun Robert, see ya soon.

PONTOON
10-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Robert,

Congrats on the pb croaker!:Cool:

I've had the pleasure of fishing with you a couple of times and I know how well you can cover the territory. With all that time in the water you had to cover a few miles My Friend.
I was checking out the pictures and that water looks very inviting. I may have to make a run down that way to toss a few LC's and see what happens.

Thanks for the report and I'll be seeing you soon.:Thumbs Up:

bones
10-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Rock and Roll Roberto !!

You killed me with both Envy and Laughter! That special trick the ray did made me chuckle too!
One time Arthur and I got into a huge YFC bite at an area adjacent to "Pea Soup" that rocked our world for about two hours.
Those huge YFC's can really pull and that PB of yours must have done just that! Good job putting her on the beach!

Great report as always my friend and quite a mixed bag as well. Your sheer determination is why you are at the top of the SWAT ranks.I'm going to make a special attempt to hit up my local spot this week before I go nuts with stress. Thanks for the motivation brotha!
See ya soon......

Mike

iLLest
10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Whats up Roberto!

Not a bad bag of fish you got there, after all you are human. :LOL:
Those YFC are pretty nice!
Hopefully things do in fact calm down this weekend, Im itching for some bendooooo action. WSB #18! u got 2 months to get 30 of em! MAKE IT HAPPEN! hahaha. See you soon bro.

Nipple Twister
11-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Nice Robert, very nice. Great report and multi species......sweet. You are an animal dude, love the day (read the whole day...sun up to sun down) you spend working it and the multi locations! I am sorry that our last time fishing I cut it short and bailed, next time I will have the entire day cleared, yup, SWAT for a good reason no doubt.....thx for sharing.......

PS, that is one worn lookin LC........I think you need to bring him in for questioning, leave it with me for 24 hrs and I'll return it right away..........

SP Dan
11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Robert!

WTG on your 18th WSB! :UDaMan:

Robert...you've definitely put in the time and effort for the :BFish: counts you've achieved, and it shows!
That was quite a variety pack of fish! I would personally consider that to be a very good session!

I'm normally happy with what I can get! :LOL:

Great report and session!

See you soon at the "HG III Surf Fishing Event" my friend, :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

CaliButts
11-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Those YFC's are Toads! Congrats on a new PB!!:Cool: Way to put in work!

Newfishsmell
11-01-2011, 09:42 PM
You are the hardest working man in the surf Robert !
And your catches this year prove it , nice work.

I mite be down in Oceanside this weekend , hopefully I get
the chance to drop a line while down there.

PS - Is that some new S.W.A.T submission hold on that ray ... lol

NooB SaBass
11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Sick Catch's... I like the Butterfly Ray Grabber hahahaha
Oh LC's you slay me...
"Thats what fish said"...

TUNAVIC
11-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Very nice Robert,nice mix of species,the way that ray got himself in that position,it was kinda of humorous,hey he got to swim away win win. Thanks for the report and great pics!

Sharkbait
11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey I know that area!?
:Secret:

murrieta angler
11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Tough day, but like you said, gotta put that time in. Great job Robert

Thanks Nick,
How was the trip up North?
Robert
<><

Crazy amounts of fish all in one day. Not to mention what looks like the same LC all day.
Good fun Robert, see ya soon.

Hey Bill,
Yeah, that LC is pretty tore up and about ready for retirement.
C-Ya on the 19th,
Robert
<><

Robert,

Congrats on the pb croaker!:Cool:

I've had the pleasure of fishing with you a couple of times and I know how well you can cover the territory. With all that time in the water you had to cover a few miles My Friend.
I was checking out the pictures and that water looks very inviting. I may have to make a run down that way to toss a few LC's and see what happens.

Thanks for the report and I'll be seeing you soon.:Thumbs Up:

Hey Terry,
There is always next week. Let me know if you take a fishing!?
Robert
<><

Rock and Roll Roberto !!

You killed me with both Envy and Laughter! That special trick the ray did made me chuckle too!
One time Arthur and I got into a huge YFC bite at an area adjacent to "Pea Soup" that rocked our world for about two hours.
Those huge YFC's can really pull and that PB of yours must have done just that! Good job putting her on the beach!

Great report as always my friend and quite a mixed bag as well. Your sheer determination is why you are at the top of the SWAT ranks.I'm going to make a special attempt to hit up my local spot this week before I go nuts with stress. Thanks for the motivation brotha!
See ya soon......

Mike

Hey Mike,
I just discovered yesterday that I had a 1/2" barb go through the top of my wader boot..:Surprised:
It's been good but no big flatties..:Sad:
I'll see you on the 19th,
Robert
<><

Whats up Roberto!

Not a bad bag of fish you got there, after all you are human. :LOL:
Those YFC are pretty nice!
Hopefully things do in fact calm down this weekend, Im itching for some bendooooo action. WSB #18! u got 2 months to get 30 of em! MAKE IT HAPPEN! hahaha. See you soon bro.

30!!!
I'll be happy with 19..:Cool:
Let me know what you are doing this weekend?
Robert
<><

Nice Robert, very nice. Great report and multi species......sweet. You are an animal dude, love the day (read the whole day...sun up to sun down) you spend working it and the multi locations! I am sorry that our last time fishing I cut it short and bailed, next time I will have the entire day cleared, yup, SWAT for a good reason no doubt.....thx for sharing.......

PS, that is one worn lookin LC........I think you need to bring him in for questioning, leave it with me for 24 hrs and I'll return it right away..........

Hey John,
Thanks for the kind words.
That LC is about to be retired.
I'm hoping this weekend changes from the forecasted one.
Take Care,
Robert
<><

Hey Robert!

WTG on your 18th WSB! :UDaMan:

Robert...you've definitely put in the time and effort for the :BFish: counts you've achieved, and it shows!
That was quite a variety pack of fish! I would personally consider that to be a very good session!

I'm normally happy with what I can get! :LOL:

Great report and session!

See you soon at the "HG III Surf Fishing Event" my friend, :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Hello Dan,
It was a good day in the surf, I guess I am getting spoiled and it's going to come back to haunt me.
Take Care and I'll see you at the event,
Robert
<><

Those YFC's are Toads! Congrats on a new PB!!:Cool: Way to put in work!

Hey Cali,
I noticed you didn't put down the beach where you got those 2 nice flatties, any reason for that...:Wink:
Take Care,
Robert
<><

You are the hardest working man in the surf Robert !
And your catches this year prove it , nice work.

I mite be down in Oceanside this weekend , hopefully I get
the chance to drop a line while down there.

PS - Is that some new S.W.A.T submission hold on that ray ... lol

Hey Chuck,
If you do head down shoot me a PM and I might head out this weekend.
Tide is supposed to be up as well as the waves...:Sad:
Take Care,
Robert
<><

Sick Catch's... I like the Butterfly Ray Grabber hahahaha
Oh LC's you slay me...
"Thats what fish said"...

Where the heck have you been!!!
Hope everything is going well for you.
Robert
<><

Very nice Robert,nice mix of species,the way that ray got himself in that position,it was kinda of humorous,hey he got to swim away win win. Thanks for the report and great pics!

Hey TunaVic,
Thanks for the kind words.
Robert
<><

Hey I know that area!?
:Secret:

There have been some nice grade WSB roaming around.
The squid are just off shore and bringing em close to shore..:Cool:
Robert
<><

Wingnut
11-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I agree, Roberto is the hardest working man in the surf... and hard work pays off! :Big Grin:
Wish I could join ya out there Robert, I'm in full lockdown mode for the Holiday season. :Neutral:
See you all on the 19th! :Cool:

TroutOnly
11-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Croakers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

iLLest
11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Roberto,

Fixing up some LC's as I write this :Guns: ...I'll give you a call in a bit. :Wink:

jerryG
11-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Putting in work.. Sorry to hear about that seabass loss. I know the feeling all too well. At least you have had a number of victories with those fish from the sand this year... I'm 0 and 3 myself hopefully.. I will make those fish pay eventually. Thanks for coming out to fish with me the other day. I will let you know when I head back out. In the mean time maybe we can hit the surf.. I want another shot at those sea bass.

JerryG

CrownTown
11-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice job man! Didn't know you could surf fish at low tide but you did pretty well. When working those sardine LC's, do you do a straight retrieve or is it a jerk bait? I just bought one but have no idea how or where to fish it.

murrieta angler
11-08-2011, 06:39 AM
I agree, Roberto is the hardest working man in the surf... and hard work pays off! :Big Grin:
Wish I could join ya out there Robert, I'm in full lockdown mode for the Holiday season. :Neutral:
See you all on the 19th! :Cool:

I know you are busy Bro,
I will try and get some legal flatties while you are hard at work..:Big Grin:

See You the 19th!

Robert
<><

Croakers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hey Bob,
What's a guy to do...:Smile:
C-Ya on the 19th,
Robert
<><

Roberto,

Fixing up some LC's as I write this :Guns: ...I'll give you a call in a bit. :Wink:

Francisco,
You never said how you did last weekend?!?
Did you even get out?
I'm going to try and get out tomorrow or Thursday,
whatcha doing? :Wink:
Robert
<><

Putting in work.. Sorry to hear about that seabass loss. I know the feeling all too well. At least you have had a number of victories with those fish from the sand this year... I'm 0 and 3 myself hopefully.. I will make those fish pay eventually. Thanks for coming out to fish with me the other day. I will let you know when I head back out. In the mean time maybe we can hit the surf.. I want another shot at those sea bass.

JerryG

Hey Jerry,
Dude, it's about the friendship, not the fishing.
It was cool hanging out with you Bro.
I took the boys out on Saturday and manged 1 nice trout at the area we were at..:Cool:
See Ya the 19th,
Robert
<><

Nice job man! Didn't know you could surf fish at low tide but you did pretty well. When working those sardine LC's, do you do a straight retrieve or is it a jerk bait? I just bought one but have no idea how or where to fish it.

Hello CrownTown,
It is a straight, slow to medium, retrieve.
Low tide is not always the best conditions but I have found a couple of spots that do produce at low tide.
As far as where to fish em, any beach will do. Try to work an area next to some structure at first, then try fishing into it when you feel comfortable with the LC.
Take Care,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey Bill,
C-Ya on the 19th,
Robert
<><

Time to see how you do with a customized one my friend :Wink:
Well unless you already have.. I can't keep up with you............................:Razz:

murrieta angler
11-11-2011, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=Which Way Out;591813]Hey Bill,
C-Ya on the 19th,
Robert
<>

Time to see how you do with a customized one my friend :Wink:
Well unless you already have.. I can't keep up with you............................:Razz:[/QUOTE

Senor Bill,
I have a custom that Arthur gave me and I used it yesterday.
I caught 2 fat, double digit perch, 1 flatty @ 19" and 1 WSB @ 23" ( My 19th from the surf ).
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-80.jpg

Life is good!
Robert
<><

sidified
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I love how you carve out the time to tromp the troughs, El Robert...and be 'richly rewarded'...
Not putting in nearly enough time strategizing or implementing, I am more generally 'wretchedly rewarded':Big Grin:

Which Way Out
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
:UDaMan: Robert the Ghost Hunter. :Thumbs Up: