PDA

View Full Version : silverwood 10/31

kingfish2
10-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Got to the lake around 8:40(had to take my wife to work). The water level is way way down at silverwood made it hard to launch my tube in the mud I should have went to the boat ramp. I don't know if the water was the cause but fishing was slow. I caught one small bass and a catfish that was around 10lbs. It was a hell of a fight pulled me around on my tube for quite a while and pulled some drag. Caught it on 6lb test while dropshotting with morning dawn robo worm. For a slow day I had fun that catfish made my morning. Is catfish a good fish to eat? I let it go didn't want it dragging me around all day. Got a couple pics hard to take on a tube I will post them tomorrow

headcase881
10-31-2011, 04:05 PM
yeah cat fish is good the one you caught is about as big as you wanna go if your gonna eat it in my opinion the meat gets fatty and gross

bassgrabber1
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
WTG! I caught a 15-10 cat on a swim bait yesterday....what the heck is going on with all these cats!

kingfish2
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
I know I thought I had a new pb bass but turned out to be a fat cat. First time I caught a cat on a fake worm.

bassgrabber1
10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
hahahaha....I was already claiming the Perris record but then I saw what it was....lol

stocker
10-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Cats are great eats 3-10 lbs, especially beer battered and deep fried--ask any southern boy and he'll tell ya the same!!! Try going big at the Wood unless you're already doing that. You might be pleasantly surprised with your efforts.

smokehound
11-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Alot of people assume channel catfish are scavengers, but the vast majority of their diet in the wild is insects, crayfish, and wounded baitfish, and even fruit from trees.

seal
11-01-2011, 06:59 AM
I've gotten into a topwater cat bite out at Silverwood before on Zara Puppies by the swimbeach in Cleghorn. They target those Silversides that are everywhere in the lake.

That must have been a fun ride in the tube! It is a little funky right now with the water level way down, especially on the LMB's, nice effort.

reservoir dog
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Catfish is good eating but once you hit a DD you definitely want to release it. Would never eat anything over 10lbs.

BTW, that must of been a fun ride getting pulled around by a catfish on a float tube...good times!!!

kingfish2
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
hell yeah it was a blast. its only my second time using the tube and ive heard people say theve been pulled around on a tube, but i didnt really belive it would happen to me. it was great i wanna try to get some striper out there on the tube but im new to fishing silverwood, and with the depth change in the water im extremly lost.

Natural Lefty
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Smokehound is correct. As I found out in September, Channel Catfish sometimes bite on artificial flies, even.

I once caught a 6 1/2 pound Catfish that I ate and it tasted good, but it was surprisingly oily.