PDA

View Full Version : What do i need for a float tube ??

Mr T-rex
10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
I want to buy my dad a float tube for his birthday and i was wondering what brand is good,where can i purchase one and what items do i need to buy ?? :Envious:

1HR2BBL
10-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Overcast brand is good. You'll need waders and fins as a minimum. Bass Pro shops is good for purchasing it.

the killa fish taco
10-31-2011, 02:24 PM
i think you mean Outcast.

Float tube
Rod Holders: $20 Bass Pro Shop
Waders: Depending what you get $49-$150
Fins: Force Fins or Hotspot $49-$149

kingfish2
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I just bought a classic accessories togiak not to expensive and it works great. You'll need waders and fins jade a rod holder out of PVC cost wleaa than 20 and works great. I'm new to tubing and its a lot of fun. Great gift to give.

vortec_cruiser
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Personal Flotation Device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr T-rex
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
thanks for the help. I need to get out there with my dad and slay some trout :)

See Chris Fish
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
By law, you must have a PDF, within reach, and a noise maker (whistle).

Enjoy! I have a FishCat 4 and love it!!!

Mr T-rex
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
By law, you must have a PDF, within reach, and a noise maker (whistle).

Enjoy! I have a FishCat 4 and love it!!! a PDF ?? and how do you fish from a float tube for trout

fishinone
11-02-2011, 03:16 PM
a PDF ?? and how do you fish from a float tube for trout

He means PFD, Personal Floatation Device, Life Jacket.

The Coast Guard requires them.

Mr T-rex
11-02-2011, 04:01 PM
He means PFD, Personal Floatation Device, Life Jacket.

The Coast Guard requires them. yeah i was like pdf?? oh no problem i have plenty of those :) thanks by the way

IncredibleHuck
11-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I thought PDF's were only required in boats.

As far as I know it is required at some lakes and not at others.

IncredibleHuck
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Not finding anything.... http://www.boat-ed.com/ca/course/p4-7_pfds.htm

I know I have tubed Perris & Silverwood and never been asked or cited for not wearing a PFD. Maybe I was just lucky...

stocker
11-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Fish Cat 4 by OUTCAST. It's 200$ and worth every penny. I was careless and punctured the bladders but a couple of patch jobs later and I'm still in business. You can go with the 130$ Caddis or other brands in that price range and you'll be sorry that you didn't just spend a coupla extra bucks. Hope this helps.

FishinElectrician
04-01-2012, 11:42 AM
So is a PFD required for float tubing in the salt?

vortec_cruiser
04-01-2012, 12:22 PM

If you think it would be safe to tube (saltwater or freshwater) without a PFD, then you better stay on dry land.
Yes, it is required.

HBAR
04-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Unless your a world class swimmer, I wouldn't risk it especially in saltwater!.

FishinElectrician
04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I should have asked a more thorough question. What I meant to ask was, am I required to wear it at all times, or not. I saw someone mention that you only had to have it within reach. Is that the case? I ask because my PFD is one of those BPS vests, and Im sure id be very uncomfortable wearin it while I fish...

And yeah, Im a pretty good swimmer, just so you know...

HBAR
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Not trying to start anything but how well do you think you can swim with water logged waders, 60 degree water, there's just a whole bunch of "WHAT IF'S" that I wouldn't want to risk. Not everywhere requires you to wear it but if you are going to be tubin saltwater I'd rather just play it safe and wear it, I'd rather not read a report of fisherman drowns while float tubing in the ocean wasn't wearing a flotation vest.

FishinElectrician
04-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Not trying to start anything but how well do you think you can swim with water logged waders, 60 degree water, there's just a whole bunch of "WHAT IF'S" that I wouldn't want to risk. Not everywhere requires you to wear it but if you are going to be tubin saltwater I'd rather just play it safe and wear it, I'd rather not read a report of fisherman drowns while float tubing in the ocean wasn't wearing a flotation vest.Well, I dont plan on tubing the boilers off Catalina or anything, so I think Ill be alright... Like I said, Im a pretty good swimmer...

One thing that is of concern is careless boaters moving through the harbors and marinas I plan to fish... Its gonna be hard to swim anywhere when my brains are comin out of my head from an injury inflicted by a boat.

evosamurai
04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
gotta stay out of the boating lanes, your fair game out there, its like pedestrians crossing a street but the boats have the right away.

Cartman
04-22-2012, 08:04 AM
If you think it would be safe to tube (saltwater or freshwater) without a PFD, then you better stay on dry land.
Yes, it is required.

After only one float tube outing I can definitely second that! You're not exactly nekkid out there in that tube. If it starts going down around you, you have a lot of encumberances to deal with. You wouldn't stand a chance without the PFD.

ushone
04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, I dont plan on tubing the boilers off Catalina or anything, so I think Ill be alright... Like I said, Im a pretty good swimmer...

One thing that is of concern is careless boaters moving through the harbors and marinas I plan to fish... Its gonna be hard to swim anywhere when my brains are comin out of my head from an injury inflicted by a boat.

if you have ur PFD at least you will still have a chance instead of sinking and drowning with ur head split :Big Grin:

LBSea
04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Great deal right here on FNN in the classified section. It is all you need at a very reasonable price.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?63522-Fish-Cat-4-and-Force-Fins