PDA

View Full Version : MLPA A.O.s/aka: Trench Warfair

Nipple Twister
10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Since it appears that we will losing some of our prime A.O.s come Jan 1 I have decided to hit as many of those spots before I can no longer wet a line there. :Crying:(how the heck did people who don't even fish, and I'm willing to bet don't even enter the water, get this passed? I know: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Are you paying attention children? You can have anything you want, right or wrong, so long as you got the money to pay for it! Just ask OJ:Evil:) This makes as much sense as say.........making an Hollywood actor president or governer.....oh, wait, thats been done, NM. On with the report......

Date: Sat Oct 29, 2011
Time: 0500 hrs
A.O: Classified
Terrain: Rocky cove beach
Weather: Clear, calm, mild, no moon last night
Surf: Small, 1ft and less
Tide: Negitive and incoming
Water clarity: Excellent, minimum salad
Water temp: 48 degrees F (hard to believe but I double checked the gauge)
Bait: LCs, KMs, Gulp sandcrabs

Upon arrival it appeared as though I was the only one there :Surprised: sweet. Still dark I decided not to start at one end of the beach but to go directly to a known hole and work from there. Casting in the dark with LC Flashminnow Metallic Sardine with a very low tide I could feel it hit bottom now and then but nothing major, keep at it fanning my way back and forth. Getting what seemed like a bump now and then but nothing sticks. As the sun gets brighter I could clearly see what looked to be an epic day, calm condisions and I'm the only one here. Watching my lure sail thru the air and landing nicely on glassy water, "glump", and feeling it vibrate and wiggle on the retieve makes the morning so far very worth it. Keeping at it I get that feeling, you know, when your sure it's gonna hit and go El Bendo any second now.....come on now, take it.....wait for it.......hers it comes and ................. nothing, hmm. Ok, no worries .... cast, glump, wiggle wiggle, bump.......nothing. Feeling too good about the morning I start talking aloud, to myself of course. Singing and casting/retrieving, being very patient cause I know today it HAS to happen, all indicators are green.."Huston we have a go".
With no wind and the low tide I was able to reach just about anywhere I wanted without wading in too deep but hmm, not getting anything to take. :Shocked:
Hmm, what am I missing? Just as I had that thought I had to pull some debris from the hooks of the lure and bent down to rinse my hand off......Aha! Brrrrrrr....very cold water.
OK, let's switch things up....C-rig and Gulp SCs.........cast and drag, cast and drag, castand drag.............nadda, for almost 2 hrs. Clearly, this ain't the trick :Confused:
Three hours into it, switched up again to KM and begin to work my way up the beach.
Sure like how much distance you can get with KMs........zingggggggggggg, glump!
Well, just over 4 hours invested and nothing....nadda.....zilch......zippo......no joy :mad:
Here endth the lesson. :Angry:

OK, that pretty much ends my attempt at that A.O. Nice knowing ya, I'll never be back.

Fast forward to today (took Sun off for me and momma)

Time: 0600 hrs
A.O: Local home front
Terrain: Large sandy beach
Weather: Foggy, cool, windless and again minimum moon last night.
Surf: 1-2 ft at best
Tide: Even and incoming
Water clarity: Good to Excellent, some patches of salad
Water temp: 56 degrees F
Bait: LC Flash Minnow Metallic Sardine

Ahh, my favorite spot THE TRENCHES:Big Grin:, and again nobody here but me but as if it mattered, once you got to the water you couldn't see back to the houses. I start at it in the dark, with no wind the LC carries far. I could feel something bumping.......must be Perch. The sun rising I get a better look at the water, very clear and the tide has the trenches filling up nicely. Again I go with my usual fan cast, retieve, move (just like the shampoo bottle says: wet, lather, rinse, repeat). :ROFL: cast, retieve, move, repeat.
The birds are hitting the water diving for bait fish, good sign. I watch as I work my way south I get hit....BAM and it pulls......and it wants to go down the beach, ok, go with it. Had the hit of a Perch but this pulling up the beach thing, this is new, to me anyway. Still kinda dark I get a glimse, white???? Hali????? time it with the wave and slide it up the beach:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach103111a.jpg
Fat little sucker and the hardest pulling Perch I have had to date, nice.....released.
:Finger: the :Skunk:
Ok, I'll take more please.......cast, retrieve, move, repeat........notice a trend here?
Less then 30 mins more and I get a hard hit again, with the drag set light it didn't wanna come to me, keeping the line tight, more drag ables me to pull in some and since it was right there at my feet I had it beached in short order:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach103111b.jpg
OK, a fat Perch on LC kinda day, I'm down with it.......bring it!
The only folks I saw on the beach was a couple which stopped to see what I was catching. Nice people, visiting from Texas. We chatted a bit and then they walked on and just about that time I get another hit.....this one harder then the last two and a LOT more tug....not taking drag but man was a wet blanket. Took me a few to get this in and seeing the rod El Bendo the Texas couple came back over to see what it was. Had a hard time with this one, did not wanna come out of the trench but a steady pull/retieve finally got it beached:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach103111c.jpg
After a pic and releasing I talked some with the Texans about what it was, good morning so far. They moved on as did I, worked more of the beach and began to head back north. At one point, wish I got a pic of this, I saw something move in the corner of my eye on the wet sand and I looked, it was a Thornbacked Ray. It had beached itself and was floppin on the sand. Wow :Shocked: how strange! Never seen that and just as I was able to get the camera out another wave washed up the beach and it was gone.....huh, how weird?
Keep at it for about another hour with not much else, total time about 4 hours. Fog was starting to lift and was getting hungry so I called it.....good fish, good morning, good times..........

Tight lines everyone, thanks for listening.....'til next time, keep 'em wet!

smokehound
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Check out those perch, Spawning time!

I should hit the surf a few times before My license expires!

PONTOON
10-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Okay, there I was at work working like a madman to save the city from ruin, needless to say we were a man down because it was somebodys day off, and I get this text message that says "Report up".:Sad: then I see it was NT who instead of hitting the trenches was, well, hitting the trenches!:Evil::LOL:

Nt, great report man1 I really liked how you described the cast, retrieve and the anticipation of a hit. That is what does it for me every time. It's that anticipation that keeps me going all day. Even on those notorious skunk days it just keeps me coming back for more.
I'm glad to see that you beat the dreaded skunk and I'm sure that in the very near future on one of those casts and retrieves ther'll be another pb to be recorded. Keep it up dude!

I'll se you tomorrow to share some war stories from the beach and from the dark nights chasing Mr. wiskers.:Thumbs Up:

bones
10-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Great report John....You had me rollin with the comments about California Politics in general.
True......Very True!
Great two outing report as always my friend. Very well written! I felt the experience just like I was right by your side. Good to see that the perch are starting to show up in larger sizes. HG III should see some larger models as well.
Keep up the Trench work and thanks for sharing your time on the sand with us.

SP Dan
10-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Hey NT!

What a great report! Like Bones said "I felt like I was right there with you, right by your side with my rod in hand"! Cast, retrieve, move, repeat. :Head Bang: Been there and have done that! I'm still practicing fishing! :ROFL:
I really enjoy reading your postings! Keep them coming!

I'm looking forward to hooking up with you my friend on the 19th! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Cool report John,
Funny about the Thornback, I saw the same thing yesterday at San Onofre..:Surprised:
Wonder what that was about?!
Good looking perchies!
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

DockRat
11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Good job on the Preggo. Had to be OC ?
I just never see the Butterfly Ray in the S Santa Monica Bay even in my diving days ?

Don't get me started on MLPA.:Head Bang::Head Bang::Head Bang::Head Bang:
DR

CaliButts
11-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Need to try some of the "Soon to be off limits" beaches myself before they're taken from us...

Good job shaking off the skunk at the local A.O. with those nice perch!:Cool:

Wingnut
11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Perch spawning season is just getting started... :Wink:
See ya on the 19th John. :Cool:

jerryG
11-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks for sharing your adventures NP. You are on point in regards to The Manipulative Land PRIVATIZATION Act aka MLPA. Looking forward to meeting you at the event. See you then.

JerryG