PDA

View Full Version : Well.....At least I didn't get shunk!! 10-29-11

SP Dan
10-30-2011, 03:26 PM
:LOL: Sunday morning,
I'm writing this report from work... post some pic's on Monday morn.. Only a few pic's.
Saturday morning fishing report,
Air= 56 to 70 degrees as the day progressed.
water= 63-64 degrees, unusually clear for me, no weed until tide shifted later in morn. The water never warmed up.
In coming high low tide. Maxed out over 6 ft.
Assault tatics: 9'-6" St. Croix 8-17lb, 30lb 8-carrier braided Samuri on a Shimano Stradic CI4 3000F reel using a store bought LC 110 (not customized).

After a 51 mile trek (one way), I arrived at the planned Nov. 19th AO to conduct a little RECON of the new area (to me). It was pitch dark and I was waiting at the gate for the park Ranger to arrive and open it. He arrived at 6:30 am.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=33668&d=1320075654

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=33669&d=1320076238

While I was standing there in the surf all by myself; for some strange reason for which I can not explain, I had Dana57 in my thoughts. Understand, I have never had the pleasure to meet Dana but I was given a site from Wingnut to view, only because I had Arthur what the meaning of 57 was. I had seen a photo of Dana standing in his waders; rod in hand, smiling while standing there in the surf and so I was wondering if this AO was one of his favorite spots to fish and or could this have been the same exact spot were his photo was taken. I'll never know.

I fished up and down the beach at this location from 7:00 am until 10:00 am. The BS perch were biting right at first light. I met up with five other anglers that favored the c-rig with crack and or sc's. They said they had a good early bite. They had also said that they were members of the SCSF family. Good group of people. The bite at this time had already turned off for them. I was going to bust out my c-rig gear and join them but had decided to relocate to different and hopefully better hunting grounds. My attitude remained sparked for capturing my first legal. I could feel it was my time!

My fish count at this AO: (7) BSP, largest being just over 12" and (1) new species to me and now PB= Smelt at 16 1/2". Sorry, no Hali's to report. Darn!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=33670&d=1320076535

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=33671&d=1320076800

At 10:00 am I moved northward approx 4 miles (approx 6.439 clicks) to another new beach (to me). High tide at this time.... still over 6 ft. So there's really no beach to be seen but I had what beach there was...... all to my self!
Second cast...bam...another perch. Darn! At this point I am sooooooo hungry to hook up with a legal Halibut!
I hunted at this AO until 11:30am.I was supposed to leave by 11:00 am. I kept telling myself.....just five more minutes and then...just another five minutes....then just one more cast....I really feel like it's going to happen.....it didn't happen! Well, all of you know where that leads! :LOL: lol. I ended up staying longer than I should have, but it was so beautiful there. All I can say is "The devil made me do it!" :Twisted:
I met up with a local angler and we chatted for a while. I received a lot of good INTEL from him. He wasn't fishing this particular day, he said that he was just there to enjoy the beautiful day at this location with his wife and child. I did let him cast my set up one time.

My fish count at this AO: (2) BSP, again largest being just over 12" hooked up on my last cast there. Sorry, again no Hali's to report.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=33672&d=1320076991

Well...That's it for my session! All fish were CPR.

Thanx for reading my report, :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

PONTOON
10-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Dan,

There's a lot of us who will have Dana pop into our thoughts. No matter where it is it's a good feeling to have such a great guy pop into our thoughts.:Cool:

Thanks for the great report and I hope you will stay focused on your goal to catch the elusive first halibut. It will take time and perserverence and I know it will come to the beach on the end of your line soon.

Keep at it and keep the reports coming!:Thumbs Up:

Which Way Out
10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Like yourself I never met Dana but I feel like someone is watching now and then when standing in the water alone.

Could it be my Dad. He started me fishing when I was only 2 years old. Have pic's. Cane pole sitting on his knee.

Could it be my best friend Kurt. We fished almost every weekend in waters between LA Bay in Baja to the Klamath river up north and everywhere in between.

Dana sometimes. When I know I have a Team 57 hat on. I know some of what he did and what he left behind. Because of him and many others I have more fishing buddies than ever.
Will you guys ever replace any of them, NO. But we will all have new stories and memoirs to experience. That's good.
Thanks Dan for letting me say this on your Post.

One of these days your gonna get that hit that says you have a Halibut, stick to it..

Wingnut
10-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Your report brought a smile to my face Dan... :Big Grin:
Dana (Fisherman 57) introduced me to surf fishing.
He touched so many lives as he walked through this world, and continues to do so through the friends he left behind... :Cool:

Long live the spirit of 57...

See you at the HG III surf event... I know Dana will be there. :Wink:

SP Dan
10-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Dan,

There's a lot of us who will have Dana pop into our thoughts. No matter where it is it's a good feeling to have such a great guy pop into our thoughts.:Cool:

Thanks for the great report and I hope you will stay focused on your goal to catch the elusive first halibut. It will take time and perserverence and I know it will come to the beach on the end of your line soon.

Keep at it and keep the reports coming!:Thumbs Up:

Thanks friend,
When work slows down for me, I'll definitely be hitting it more often.
I appreciate your continuous support during my pursuit of my first legal.
I'm looking forward to hooking up with you on the 19th.
Dan

SP Dan
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Like yourself I never met Dana but I feel like someone is watching now and then when standing in the water alone.

Could it be my Dad. He started me fishing when I was only 2 years old. Have pic's. Cane pole sitting on his knee.

Could it be my best friend Kurt. We fished almost every weekend in waters between LA Bay in Baja to the Klamath river up north and everywhere in between.

Dana sometimes. When I know I have a Team 57 hat on. I know some of what he did and what he left behind. Because of him and many others I have more fishing buddies than ever.
Will you guys ever replace any of them, NO. But we will all have new stories and memoirs to experience. That's good.
Thanks Dan for letting me say this on your Post.

One of these days your gonna get that hit that says you have a Halibut, stick to it..

Hey Bill,
How are you doing my friend,

Strange as it sounds, I really felt a strong presence there. It was kinda weird! This doesn't normally happen to me. I would normally think of my parents, who I miss so much. But this time it wasn't my parents.

But by what I've read (and am still reading), thru his close friends, his joy of the surf continues to live on thru his friends and has reached out beyond his friends, inspiring so many people like myself.

I'm looking forward to hooking with you on the 19th. :Cool:

Dan aka SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Your report brought a smile to my face Dan... :Big Grin:
Dana (Fisherman 57) introduced me to surf fishing.
He touched so many lives as he walked through this world, and continues to do so through the friends he left behind... :Cool:

Long live the spirit of 57...

See you at the HG III surf event... I know Dana will be there. :Wink:

Hey Arthur,

Thank you for all your support and guidance Arthur!

I'm looking forward to hooking up with you and the others on the 19th! :Cool:

Dan

bones
10-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Dan.....

I've been thinking alot about our Godfather himself too. Dana and I had our differences but I will always remember the way he said "Mr Bones" everytime I met up with him at events in the past. Dana was a leader.....It came naturally to him and he left a lasting impression on everyone who had the pleasure of meeting him. Some folks have drifted away from the Spirit of "57" since his passing and others like yourself are just barely embracing his legacy.
Great job out there at that AO Dan.......Dana LOVED perch fishing and that 12 incher would have impressed him to say the least.
As a matter of fact he probably would have got more excited over that perch than a legal Halibut :ROFL:

Thanks for the report....I'm planning on a little pre fishing at that AO myself a few days prior to Hunting Giants III.

Good job once again my friend!

Mike-------<><

SP Dan
10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Dan.....

I've been thinking alot about our Godfather himself too. Dana and I had our differences but I will always remember the way he said "Mr Bones" everytime I met up with him at events in the past. Dana was a leader.....It came naturally to him and he left a lasting impression on everyone who had the pleasure of meeting him. Some folks have drifted away from the Spirit of "57" since his passing and others like yourself are just barely embracing his legacy.
Great job out there at that AO Dan.......Dana LOVED perch fishing and that 12 incher would have impressed him to say the least.
As a matter of fact he probably would have got more excited over that perch than a legal Halibut :ROFL:

Thanks for the report....I'm planning on a little pre fishing at that AO myself a few days prior to Hunting Giants III.

Good job once again my friend!

Mike-------<><

Thank you Mr. Bones,

Your words truly mean a lot to me Mike,

At first all that I could think of when arriving at this particular AO was to get a jump start on all you experienced SWAT members and FNN members. To get the edge on every one else for the Derby on the 19th. What can I say, it's my competitive nature to win!

But once I arrived at the edge of the surf and stood then there in the surf......the importance seemed to quickly dissipate.
I thought of his picture; but in my mind, I envisioned him fishing next to me and my determined desire for my first legal just seemed to evaporate. I just liked being there.

What a special place Mr. Bones.

PS ....just between you and I..........I've never caught so many BSP in one session! It was a bit hilarious when I stop to think about it! lol :LOL: And what was with that smelt!! ha ha

I'm looking forward to hooking up with you Mike on the 19th.
Good luck at the AO. Have a great time! Catch lots of BSP! :ROFL:

Thank you my friend for reading my post. When I read some of your posts....you really "bust... me... up"!
You have a good since of humor! Never lose it!

Dan aka SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
10-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey Dan,
Those are some nice words about that man...:Smile:
I only met Dana, briefly, and he brought a smile to my face, not alot of people like that out there.
Good to see you getting out and getting your share of the fish.
The halibuts will come, but in the mean time enjoy all the others.
Look forward to seeing you again at " HG III ".
Robert
<><

SP Dan
10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey Dan,
Those are some nice words about that man...:Smile:
I only met Dana, briefly, and he brought a smile to my face, not alot of people like that out there.
Good to see you getting out and getting your share of the fish.
The halibuts will come, but in the mean time enjoy all the others.
Look forward to seeing you again at " HG III ".
Robert
<><

Hey Robert!

Thank you for your kind words!
I really believe that it's the photo that Arthur posted of Dana for the HG III Derby that sticks in my thoughts! When I look at it, I feel as though I should have known him. Go figure!

"Happy Halloween"! BOO! :EyePop:
That smelt I caught is still haunting me! :ROFL:

I'm really looking forward to hooking up with you my friend and the others on the 19th at the derby!
It's going to be a good time! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Nipple Twister
11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Dan, excellent write up ....... i'm sure many here will echo those very thoughts, well done and thx for sharing. Looking forward to finally shakin your hand at HG III ........

Side note: won't that area be a "No Fly" (fish) zone after Jan 1 due to MLPA? sorry, had to ask.......

SP Dan
11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Dan, excellent write up ....... i'm sure many here will echo those very thoughts, well done and thx for sharing. Looking forward to finally shakin your hand at HG III ........

Side note: won't that area be a "No Fly" (fish) zone after Jan 1 due to MLPA? sorry, had to ask.......

Hey NT

I think it would be a great idea if SWAT would select a beach (or beaches) that is (are) being closed and muster up as many FNN members as possible to man up in force at all the AO's for one final time in a protest on Dec 31!

Also, the news media should be alerted of our protest! I believe that this would make a silent but huge statement! You can count me in! I would be there!!

I'm angry about this!! :Angry:

I'm looking forward to shaking hands with you also my friend!

SP Dan <"))><