PDA

View Full Version : My First Trip to Canyon Lake 10/28

Natural Lefty
10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Okay, here's what happened on my long anticipated first trip to Canyon Lake. Juan, whom I met at Sail Cove Pier at Perris, and with whom I have been fishing, was telling me about the excellent fishing going on at Canyon Lake for Crappies, Bluegills and Bass, so we arranged to go yesterday afternoon.

We were to meet at 2:30, but due to a mixup, we didn't meet until after 3:30. Juan brought one of his cousins, Julio, along too and off we went in my luxury Honda Fit. Juan has a friend and a cousin who both give him passes to fish at Canyon Lake. However, he was unable to get ahold of either one, so when we got there, we were turned back. I had an alternate plan to fish at the launch ramp at Perris, so I was dissappointed but okay with it. As we were driving back, a few minutes later, Juan's cousin answered him and got him a pass. Apparently, the people at Canyon Lake are pretty generous about giving visitors' passes, so we turned back and were waved right on in. The fishing spot where Juan has been fishing is just a short distance from the gate we went in. I think it's the spot where the gated community begins, at the bridge separately the gated part of the lake, from the north end of the lake which is undeveloped.

There are 3 pipes there which let water flow under the bridge, and the second and third were occupied, so we headed to the first one. It was probably about 4:15 p.m. by this time. Juan started fishing with his mealworms with a Crappie Nibble attached, and I started using a jig on one pole, and a worm on the other. Frankly, the fishing turned out to be disappointing, although I think the cool weather this week was largely to blame for turning the bite off. It was a while before either of us had a bite. Julio caught a small Bluegill quicky which he put back, but didn't catch anything else after that. Finally, Juan caught a Bluegill. Eventually, I found a 1/80 ounce microjig and tried that. I really wanted to catch the Crappies I had heard about inhabiting Canyon Lake, but nothing bit the straight Crappie jig under a bobber, so I put on Juan's Crappie Nibbles, and that triggered some bites from the Bluegills. I caught 2 average size Bluegills that way, and lost a fish that I hooked farther out, which might have been a small Crappie but I never saw it. After that, the sun went down, and the fish pretty much just stopped biting.

Meanwhile, Juan caught a couple more Bluegills. The last one was a good size, male Bluegill. I brought my camera so I went to the car, got the camera and took a picture of it. Juan said it was probably his personal best Bluegill so far although I think he will catch some bigger ones in the future. He wanted to keep it for dinner so he put it in his bucket with some water. As we were getting ready to leave, around 7 p.m., he tried to empty the water from his bucket, but he did too good a job of emptying the bucket, and the Bluegill went right back into the lake. :Confused: Oh well!

Aside from us, I saw 3 other people fishing, and all of them seemed to be regulars there. One of them, Juan told me was the local Crappie fishing expert. All he managed were 2 small Crappies of about 7 inches, maybe 8 inches max, but I wasn't getting hits from the Crappies at all on my jigs, even with the Crappie nibbles, except for that one possible small Crappie I lost, and I usually do pretty well on Crappies if they are biting much at all. Maybe I was in the wrong spot, or had the wrong type of jig. Another guy caught one bass of about 15 inches, on a crayfish I think, and put it in a basket. The other guy also caught a bass of about 15 inches on a crayfish which went into the basket -- apparently there is nothing his aunt likes better than a basket full of bass to eat. He also caught several average size (like 1/4 pound, the same as mine) Bluegills on crickets. He offered us some crickets to use but I was far more interested in catching Crappies. After all, I catch Bluegills almost every week.

The fishing was far from the quality I had heard about Canyon Lake, but all the locals had the same type of comment. I guess it was the weather and approaching winter. It was quite a dissapointment after hearing people rave about the fishing there, including all the locals we saw. I had very few bites on worms. It's strange how the fish there didn't care much for worms, but even the Bluegills were really going after the Crappie Nibbles. I was promised an evening surface feeding show too, which never took off, just a few scattered surfacings from Bluegills perhaps, and sometimes there were schools of shad dimpling the surface nearby. If the fish had been very active surface feeding, I would have tried the bobber and fly technique.

The totals for us were:

3 Bluegills for Juan on mealworms with Crappie Nibbles, 2 kept but the bigger one accidentally escaped back into the lake;
2 average size Bluegills for me on the microjig with a Crappie Nibble, both kept;
and 1 small Bluegill for Julio on a mealworm with a Crappie Nibble (I think), released.

I am attaching the photo of Juan with his larger Bluegill.

It was an interesting fishing spot, though, and I am sure the fishing must be quite good there much of the time.

Natural Lefty
10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
I believe the Bluegill in the photo was about 1/2 pound and over 8 inches, about twice the size of most of the Bluegills there.

By the way, I hope you like those Apples, Juan. (I gave Juan some Apples from the neighbors' Fuji Apple tree.) Anyway, without Juan's Crappie Nibbles, I probably would have been skunked.

Troutman65
10-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I have worked on homes out there many times over the years and never fished there . Always wanted to wet a line there . To bad the fishing was not better for you. Thanks for the report

Natural Lefty
10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Troutman, are you Patrick from Facebook? Forgive my sometimes faulty memory. I know you told me.

Canyon Lake seems like a good fishing lake. I think we just went on the wrong day. We could also use some more experience at fishing it in order to get better at fishing there. I am sure you know as well as I that every fishing place is different. Sometimes, techniques I use to catch fish other places work great at a new place, and it seems like nobody has ever tried them before, and sometimes, my techniques don't work well at a new place but the locals may have a better idea of how to fish there. I am pretty sure Canyon Lake doesn't have any trout, though, just conventional (for this region) warmwater fish.

We had a good time anyway. Juan and I always have fun when we fish together. I wish Evie had come too but I think she was with her grandmother. I forget but Juan told me.

TUNAVIC
10-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I used to fish that lake alot a few years ago,mostly from a float tube,it was great back then on crappie,and Bass
they started getting stricter and stricter on getting in,because alot of people were abusing the lake,leaving trash ect,so we quit going glad to hear there loosening up a little,I sure hope people don't start messing up the privilege again,theres some nice fishing there.

Natural Lefty
10-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Tunavic, as I mentioned, there were several other people fishing there. Despite the popularity of this fishing spot, we found only one piece of trash, an empty beer can which was floating in the water by shore. Juan picked it up to throw away later. (He was closer to it.) The place is very clean, so it is a nice place to fish. I didn't see any float tubers, though.

Troutman65
10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Natural Lefty;588248]Troutman, are you Patrick from Facebook? Forgive my sometimes faulty memory. I know you told me.

Yes I am Robert .

Natural Lefty
10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Okay, I got it, Patrick. I thought that was you. Perhaps you will show up when I go fishing one of these times, or I will show up when you do.

It's funny -- we were just discussing politics on Facebook the other day.

I plan to go to the store pretty soon to buy some more microjigs and maybe some Crappie Nibbles so I will be better prepared next time.

carpanglerdude
10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice report, very thorough. The sunfish I have caught in that area have been fairly small, but I did manage a few 8-10 inch fish recently (bluegill) and a few smaller crappie. The crappie bite seems to be best right at dusk.

I wonder if the fish kill several years ago had something to do with the poor conditions you experienced? Here's a pic and a report on it, back in 2009.
Link (http://www.thefridayflyer.com/story_print_friendly.php?storyid=13071&storypath=./FF-2009-11-6/stories&imagepath=./FF-2009-11-6/images&edition=November%206,%202009&writer=By%20Sharon%20Rice&title=The%20Friday%20Flyer%20Editor&emailaddress=news@goldingpublications.com)

http://www.thefridayflyer.com/admin/uploads/A1-photo3-11.6.jpg

Natural Lefty
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the information, Carpanglerdude. I didn't even know about the die-off. I read the article, and I do think it might be responsible for the lack of larger fish right now.

The article said that Canyon Lake has regular die-offs, but that one was worse than before. The fact that it has die-offs means most likely that it is overloaded with nutrients. The only other lakes I have gone fishing at that have die-offs are Elsinore and the Salton Sea, both of which are also loaded with nutrients. In fact, Elsinore is downstream from Canyon Lake. I think all those nutrients explains the murky water at Canyon Lake, but at least it's not as murky as Elsinore or the Salton Sea. I prefer cleaner looking water myself, but it was still a nice place.

By the way, the two Crappies the Crappie fishing expert caught were just as it was getting dark, not long before we left, so I have the same impression that the Crappies bite mostly just as it is getting dark there. On the other hand, all the other fish seemed to stop biting right at sundown.

smokehound
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Dang, next time you guys go panfishing, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!

I would love to hit canyon lake with a kastmaster!

Natural Lefty
10-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Smokehound, you live in Anaheim, huh? You might need some transportation to get to the IE. I would like fishing with you too if feasible.

Juan was telling me that the Bass at Canyon Lake like a Bass-colored swimbait he showed me. Sounds cannibalistic to me. Juan didn't try his swimbait that day, though. A guy who was in the parking lot as we were leaving showed us a picture of a 13 pound plus Bass (no lie) he caught at another part of the lake and talked about he and his friends catching a bunch of big ones there, large Blue and Channel Catfish too.

Since the Crappie Nibbles worked better than worms at Canyon Lake, even for Bluegills there, I actually bought some yesterday. (I usually never use those but I think I will start trying them more.) I bought some more microjigs too.

headcase881
10-31-2011, 04:14 PM
The lake is a great lake to fish you just need a tube the fish are holding deeper this time of year. I fished canyon alot this summer and they do have some big bass and cats

crappiemike
10-31-2011, 07:43 PM
dam the lake is really low right now!!!

try deeper, they spawn in the spring... lol,,,

cm

juanmore951
10-31-2011, 07:58 PM
only if we would of had the other Crappie Nibbles bait the red one maybe would of had better luck
thank you for the apples

Natural Lefty
10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
I thought the lake looked low, which surprised me with all the rain this year, but it is fall. This time of year, the fish go deeper and deeper every week. I have actually seen that in lakes with clear water, where the fish are 2-3 feet deeper every week until they can no longer be seen but they are usually still there a little deeper. They keep going deeper until at least the beginning of winter.

October
11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I have been hitting this lake pretty hard weekly now. There are still a ton of fish in it, the problem is, knowing what to use. The are all so well fed from the enormous schools of shad that they sometimes wont hit something bouncing off their head. I have caught MONSTER crappie (which are all over anywhere near a dock) and decent cats and lots of bass. I just found the ticket to catching the average size bass for the lake (3lbs) but I aint gonna give it away! Just think shad.

As for craps, small white grubs are the ticket. and ya, close to dark. Then again, the 2lbers I caught were at 11am so who knows.

Yesterday, I caught tons of blue gill in the 1-1.5lb range drop shotting live worm on the bottom around some docks.

Overall this lake has an enormous fish population, its just sometimes hard to know what they want. And the clarity really puts a damper on things. They have installed a ton of those filtration systems, not sure if it is helping at all though...

Natural Lefty
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Juan, I bought some red Crappie Nibbles since you said they work better, some white ones to go with the white jigs I bought, and some green ones just because it said they glow in the dark. Thanks for reminding me that Perris is closed today. I was just getting ready to go there, but now I have to change my plans. I was thinking of Silverwood, but I just found out that it is closed on Wednesday and Thursday now. Did you get the p.m. I just sent you?

Maybe I will go to Puddingstone but it sounds like the shorefishing might be tough there. I would like to go back to Canyon Lake but don't know if that is feasible.

October, thanks for the information. It is consistent with my observations, too. I think there are a lot of fish there, lots of food for them, and poor visibility so it's not always easy to get them to bite.