PDA

View Full Version : algae

Matt_Magnone
10-28-2011, 09:17 PM
i was gonna just comment in a thread but thought i would make this a post.

the algae you're seeing is soft cover. fish will relate to it at times if balled up in the backs of coves or on windy shorelines. treat it like a dock, bouy or the floating bathrooms. algae and vegetation = shade. fish that are in the upper half of the water column or shallower fish will sometimes use it as an ambush point. somewhere they can trap a bait. how many times have you been bit as you've barely lifted the bait out of the water near the boat. the fish saw you're bait as a meal trying to escape. the high perentage kill zone for the bass was at your boat. except the fish didnt know a boat was a boat. the fish thought it was a hard piece of structure or cover that he knew he could pin a bait against. imagine you were running from some thuggish beast (:LOL:) down and alley way and there was a dead end at the end of it. basically you'd have nowhere to go and whatever was chasing you would tear you to shreds. same goes for the little silver shad or that tasty looking trout. they dont have a chance!

a lot of this fish are deeper in the water column but always remember, bass will stay shallow all year. sometimes the big ones will ambush shallow often!

i wouldnt try and get away from the algae, but rather try to find it.

i'll probably get shot for saying this. but id rather help you guys! :Neener Neener:

Bassnman Mike
10-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Matt, shhhhh, your not supposed to let that secret out of the bag. HA!

While I really dont like cleaning the algae off of the Champion I know that I have had some great days on the water at my home lake when the algae bloom is going off by throwing rip baits and shallow running crankbaits just under it, but like I said, shhh, its a secret.

itsagooddaytofish
10-29-2011, 08:21 AM
diamond looks like its covered in green attic insulation .
wow
thanks for a diffrent perspective on what looks like a fishing nightmare
later

HawgZWylde
10-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Exactly Matt. I let the cat out of the bag talking about the "pea soup" in another thread last week. Silversides were being slaughtered by LMB's in areas you just described. I simply threw a senko, as soon as it hit the water, it got slammed, time after time. And as you said, a couple of times the act of just lifting it out of the water got it inhaled right next to the boat. This has happened the last two Tuesdays we went out. We were pulling numbers equal to spring spawn. I love the pea soup, so do the LMB's. Just clean your gear real good afterwords...

Stormcrow
10-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I was punching a beaver through the algae as it stacked up in a cove...caught 4 fish in 15 mins. All dinks though but it was fun as hell.

bassnet
10-30-2011, 07:28 PM
How did you manage to punch that beaver through the algae?

Stormcrow
10-30-2011, 10:48 PM
How did you manage to punch that beaver through the algae?

Pegged a half ounce flipping bomb on an oxblood sweet beaver.

DarkShadow
11-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I was punching a beaver ....

I love punching beavers with a Trouser Trout swimbait.

Dr. MindBendo
11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I love punching beavers with a Trouser Trout swimbait.

LOL

Pegged a half ounce flipping bomb on an oxblood sweet beaver.

and I like flipping bombs on sweet beavers also.

Stormcrow
11-01-2011, 12:43 PM
LOL

and I like flipping bombs on sweet beavers also.

Youre all DISGUSTING...How dare you violate my virgin eyes like that...

30lber
11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
The algae was so thick at the marina, we couldnt see the water.
We managed about 60lbs of stripers out in the open.
Use fresh dines though.