PDA

View Full Version : Another barbless question

vortec_cruiser
10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
When fishing a barbless stretch of water, does every lure in your possession have to be barbless? Although my son and I typically fish the lower Owens River (below the Wild Trout Section, where it doesn't require fishing barbless), but we still fish barbless. However, we only bend down the barbs on the lures we think we will be using. If we decide to use some of the barbed lures we're carrying, we just bend them down on the spot. This year we will probably be fishing some barbless-required areas, and I don't want to be carrying barbed lures if all the lures I'm carrying must be barbless.

I need some facts here, not opinion. :Wink:

John Harper
10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I would call DFG if you want facts.

John

sierraslam
10-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I might just buy barbless hooks so there's no questions asked. Maybe even go as far as to have 2 sets of gear, 1 for special regs., the other not. I'd think you could carry around what you want, but as soon as there is any reason, DFG will probably get out the rubber gloves. I wouldn't chance it. Just another opinion though.

vortec_cruiser
10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
I would call DFG if you want facts.

John

I just gave them a call and am awaiting a return call from the game warden, since I had to leave a message.

The lady at the DFG who answered the phone fielded my question, stating that she thought only the lure on your line had to be barbless. That's kind of like calling the IRS with a tax question. The answer they give you may sound good, but come tax audit time, it may not be the right answer.

RiverWalker
10-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Hey Vortec Cruiser.

Sorry to offer another opinion but I'm pretty sure you could carry around other gear as long as you don't use them. Not sure if you read my post on Ultralight's thread from yesterday but I had a run in with 2 DFG wardens while fishing on the East Walker River and they only checked the hooks that were tied directly on our Rods. I was carrying my fishing backpack at the time and it was full of barbed hooks, Flies, jigs, and lures. Shoot, I might even had a jar of salmons eggs in there too. I was basically crimping and grinding down my barbs as I was deciding what to use next along the banks. The DFG guys never once asked what was inside any of our tackle bags or cases. One of the wardens was a complete a hole and was looking high and dry to find something to write us up on so I'm pretty sure if carrying illegal gear wasn't allowed, he would of asked to check our bags and had a field day.

vortec_cruiser
10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Hey Vortec Cruiser.

Sorry to offer another opinion but I'm pretty sure you could carry around other gear as long as you don't use them. Not sure if you read my post on Ultralight's thread from yesterday but I had a run in with 2 DFG wardens while fishing on the East Walker River and they only checked the hooks that were tied directly on our Rods. I was carrying my fishing backpack at the time and it was full of barbed hooks, Flies, jigs, and lures. Shoot, I might even had a jar of salmons eggs in there too. I was basically crimping and grinding down my barbs as I was deciding what to use next along the banks. The DFG guys never once asked what was inside any of our tackle bags or cases. One of the wardens was a complete a hole and was looking high and dry to find something to write us up on so I'm pretty sure if carrying illegal gear wasn't allowed, he would of asked to check our bags and had a field day.

I was under the impression that he was checking all your lures, even in your tackle bag. Okay, that answers my question - thanks.

Big Country
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
I've had dfg come to me numerous times in barbless areas and I have only had them check the lure on my pole. If you are walking with 2 poles (as I typically do) make sure they are both barbless otherwise you're SOL. I typically have my backpack on and some of my boxes are all barbless and others are just regular. Also be aware that stuff like powerworms are considered bait even if you are fishing them with a barbless hook.

sierraslam
10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Worm dirt on your fingers might give you away.