PDA

View Full Version : Poke Pole

olefrog
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Poke Pole
( what the heck is a Poke Pole frog ?
I sure hope it aint pool asking how much bread you have in your poke as I am flat out empty.)

It is a very old form of fishing,ole frog fished the breakwaters Southern California when he was a kid, useing this method.

When we spent our summers after retirement up the coast, Crecent City California and Brookings Oregon I fished this way many times.
One will catch the very Shallow Rockfish ,the Brown Rockfish,the Grass Rockfish , Perch ,the prize and the target in the nothern waters is the Momkey-faced Eel.
Ole frog loves Eel , smoked spread on German sourdough Rye bread,of course one has to wash this down with a ice cold Beer.

Other fish one will catch is some of the Scullpins ,the Cabezon being the biggest ,many fish in this family .
You will catch a Lingcod at times ,Crabs Red-Rock as well as the Dungeness.

Poke poling is easy and it can be combined with clamming up north.

Ya got to pick the tide when one can wade upon and around the tidal rocks.
The lower the tide the better.When the tide gets to high switch to conventional tackle.

Poke poles are, as their name suggests, poles you poke into cracks in rocky reefs, undercuts in sandy bottom tide pools or kelp beds. A 10 to 18 foot long bamboo or fiberglass pole lets you put bait in front of lurking eels, cod, perch and other rock fish.

Try inexpensive one-piece bamboo poles from your nursery to start; pros use collapsible Fiberglass. Tip these with a short two to three foot long wire (cyclone fence wire works well; wire coat hangers work in a pinch) lashed to the end of the pole to hold up to the abrasion of this probing technique. Make a loop in the end of the wire and add on a snelled size 2 hook. Bait with mussels,or other shucked shellfish where bait collecting is permitted or use "store-bought" pile worms or strips of squid and you might take fish just about anywhere.
Fish and eels that live in rocky reefs or shelter in kelp generally lurk and ambush dinner in much the same way a black bass waits under a snag for passing bluegills. A bait under your quarry's nose keys action. Deep probing in cracks or under heavy kelp does this best.

I guess ole frog is getting cabin feaver thinking of fishing ,fishing,ole frog is getting tad bit old for this rock hopping.

For you young people this might be a thing to look into.
Not a lot of money invested in fishing gear ,no sea sickness,and some darn good eating.

ta ta ole frog

Troutman65
08-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Never heard of poke poles before.

Thanks for sharing on FN olefrog.

Troutman65

CoffeaRobusta
08-22-2007, 07:08 PM
i used to see people poke poling when i was up north in humboldt, ole'frog. Yep probably the best way to fish the rocks and jetties of the north coast. Seemed like the guys that cast out would just get snagged and the guys that poke poled would come home with buckets of fish.