PDA

View Full Version : Perris..The beat Goes on.. part 2!!!

Pete Marino
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
The BEAT DOWN..with a twist!!!!

So Jon called me on Thursday night and told me that he and his son Hogan wanted to get out to Perris with me as soon as possible.. I told him of the crazy day I had just had that day at Perris so he wanted to get out there asap... I told him that I had nothing going on Sunday and he said "We're there"!!
So I get to Perris at 6:15 Sunday morning and there is NO fog... Its totally clear, unlike Thursday when the fog was so thick you could barely see 10 yards. All I can think is.."what the heck do the fishing gods have in store for me today?"

As we motor out, I tell Jon and Hogan about the crazy day we had on Thursday with the fog and the awesome icejig bite. I tell them the plan for the day... It seemed simple really...Start way offshore and CRUSH these Perris bass with the IceJig and tailspins until our arms are sore!!! :Wink: They were all for it!!!
We get out into about 50 ft of water and we all start throwing the tailspins and I began metering around looking for the motherload of bass that I pounded on Thursday...
The guys are totally pumped and excited about the posibility of catching bass on the icejig and tailspin because they are pretty new to fishing and havent caught bass using those techniques.. Despite basically driving most of the night to make it home from their trip to the Hoover dam they both seem wide awake and eagar to pound some Perris Bass..
So we're firing cast after cast but we're just not getting bit on the tailspins...we continue for the next 45 minutes..
Im metering some bass but not the motherload I saw on Thursday.. Finally I start to see groups of bass so we start dropping the Icejig to them...But they arent biting..:mad::mad: After about an hour of that with no bites I see a large group of fish on the screen....but they look small.. I tell the guys that they look like Bluegill or Crappie to me...but they dropped down anyway and instantly Hogan hooks up..."FINALLY", I say.
As its coming up from the depths, Hogans rod tip doesnt have much of a bend in it and I know what Im about to see....SURE ENOUGH... Giant Bluegill 2 lber to be exact!!!!:mad::mad:
Thats all I needed to see...to know I had seen enough... so i tell they guys.."were gonna make a move". Time to check out my honeyhole ledge... The same ledge that DIDNT produce for me on Thursday. :Neutral::Neutral:
So I meter over there and drop my bouy, explain the spot and how to present the bait...and we all fire away...
Within seconds of hitting bottom Both Hogan and his Dad set the hook...DOUBLE HOOKUP!!! Then I swing and IM ON..make that a triple hookup!!!! :Big Grin::Big Grin:
THEIR BAAAAACK!!!!:Big Grin:
I took my fish off and then I took off Hogans bass but Jon was being WORKED by his bass.. He says "Its huge"... and finally it comes up...ITS A GIANT....Into the boat it goes...7 lber!!! BOOOOM Baaaby!!! Jons biggest bass ever!!

If I was to say that we put a hurt on them it would be a lie...BECAUSE WE KILLED THEM!!!! Hogan and Jon were smashing them on the dropshot and I was doing some serious damage with the Carolina rig. These bass moved back to the ledge over the last 2 1/2 days and were loaded up on it again.. And we were making them pay!!:Cool::Cool: lol
Hogans biggest of the day was just over 4 lbs. My biggest was 5 1/2 lbs and Jons Biggest was a NICE 7 lb Perris toad!!!
About 1pm we wanted to try again with the tailspins so we motored out and started firing away.. Hogan got one right away and then I got one also on the tailspin.. then Jon finally got one after missing 3 bites on 3 straight casts..
By 1:30 both Hogan and Jon were exausted because we had caught over 40 bass..and they were on very little sleep so they decided to call it a day.

Jon won family bragging rights on this day as he caught more than Hogan...At least until their next trip.. :Wink:

Here are the particulars..
48-55 ft , 1 big bluegill (icejig) 3 bass - Tailspins
40-46 ft over 40 bass dropshot and Carolina rig

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_5415.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_5417.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_5420.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_5422.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_5419.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_5416.jpg

So the fishing Gods thought they were gonna throw me a curve again...but yet again I turned on it and drove it out of the park like Albert Pujuls in the World series last week. :Cool::Cool: Gotta Love it!!!
If youre ready for your trip to Perris to crush some of these bass with me...PM me or call!!!!

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
(909) 241-8283 cell

bassgrabber1
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
WTG Pete....put them on Bass!!!!

fishboy12
10-24-2011, 05:49 PM
What's up with that? The last time you took Joseph and I we only caught 37 bass! You seem to have a knack for father and son bass slayage. Hopefully I'll see ya out there this Thurs.

Pete Marino
10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah I know...You and Joseph were slacking..Bringing my numbers down like that!! hahahahha

Sounds good Mark...call me on Thursday.

Pete

TheAsianGuy
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Definitely nice haul there. But freaking 2lb-ers on gill? JEFF!! ANTHONY!! time to hit the water ASAP. Where did you manage to land the gill Pete?

Pete Marino
10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
As I mentioned...We got that Gill out in like 50ft of water. They are schooled up out there too..

Pete

TheAsianGuy
10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
50ft is dead smacked in the boating area. How the heck you manage to keep those watercrafts from eating you alive mid day?

Pete Marino
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
There arent many boats to deal with this time of year... thank goodness.

It would be hell during the Summer!!

Pete

karalm
10-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Pete,
Way to put the hurt on those Perris pigs!! While these are two great trips by a guide who really knows his stuff on this lake, our "EPIC 50 bass day" continues to bring me smiles. I keep telling you people, save those pennies, beg the wife, empty the coin jar and hit up Pete for a great day on the water catching these quality bass and no dinks!! He flat out knows the lake and puts you on the fish as I have done several times now in learning about this wonderful fishery. As noted, when these fish "stack up", get ready for sore arms and what I now know as "bass thumb" because you catch so many, your thumb gets chewed, raw and hurts but what a great hurt it is.....!!

Pete Marino
10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks BassGrabber....

And Thanks KaralM... those bass are anxiously awaiting youre arrival...lol

See you in Nov/Dec

Pete

Sublime-Steve
10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Never fail's pete's on um like white on rice. did u get a pic of that monster gill?

SirBluegill
10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
What Steve said I wanna see that gill :Big Grin:

TheAsianGuy
10-25-2011, 03:39 PM
But didn't Pete said no photo was taken earlier? Us gillie's folks love to see that elusive photo if there's any Pete. We're dying to hunt those monsters down there.

Breaking Bass
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
The beat goes on indeed....helluva report!! Never fished Perris before but now I know I've been missing out.

Pete Marino
10-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Nope didnt take a pic of the Gill... But I have a pic of a MONSTER 3lb Crappie we caught last year on an Icejig. It was the same scenerio, I was graphing fish in 50ft of water and came along a big school of fish. They looked like bluegill or crappie on the graph and I told my clients but they still wanted to try to catch one, so they dropped down and within 20 seconds one guy caught that 3lb crappie... Ill look for the pic..

Heres the Pic of the 3lb CRAPPIE we caught last season in the same general area we caught that Big Bluegill the other day..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_3777.jpg

Pete

Agro
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
What size and color ice jigs have been getting bit for you guys Pete? I've never had any luck with those things.

Pete Marino
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
the #7 and the #9 Black and chrome, Blue and chrome, and Gold and black are popular colors... Ive been using some custome painted Ice jigs alot...

The size depends on the depth you are fishing and the aggressiveness of the bass... When your really deep and they are chewing good..use the 9 when they are shallower(28-34ish) use the 7 when they arent to aggressive try the 7 as well.

Pete

Iflyforcarp
10-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Awesome bass. Looks like Perris is really making a come back.

Pete Marino
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Perris is Great!! While everybody else goes to DVL we have Perris to ourselves this time of year...and the fishing is really good.

Thanks Steve and BreakingBass.

Pete

TheAsianGuy
10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
You have to understand Pete, everyone want to chase the DD monsters lurking at the bottom of the lake. All tubers would love to be dragged by one of the DD for a wee while during the fight. Imagine the amount of adrenaline loaded in our blood stream by the end of the day.

Pete Marino
10-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah that would be a rush...But its not worth being out in the middle of the lake on a tube.. There are too many clowns out there that dont pay attention when they are driving their boats..and accidents can happen.. Thats all Im saying...
Tight lines

Pete

Sublime-Steve
10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Yea pete.. your right.. once me and james were fishing the south shore n 2 jet ski's were chasing each other. long story short the girl in the front slowed waaay down and the person chasing her didnt notice and BOOM. it was the worse scream ive EVER heard.. its not worth losing your life over. wear brite colors n stay away from the middle of the lake on your tube..

fishmounter
10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
No problem from me. When I go out past the bouys at Bernasconi, I feel lie I'm out in dangerous territory, and I don't stay out there very long. Actually the bouys don't mean a darn thing to some of the idiots that drive those PWCs, and really the State needs to put more bouys out there... space them closer together and post warning signs on them.
Hey Pete, do you have any problems releasing bass that are caught from deep water? I've caught Bluegill from 35-40 FOW that I've had to keep.

karalm
10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
You have to "Fizz" the bass if you release from that depth to make sure they can get down again. I have had a few that "Float" if not fizzed.

Pete Marino
10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
No I dont usually have a problem with them because I take precautions like reeling up these deep bass slowly, If they dont look like they are doing good Ill put them in the livewell with some "reguvinate" or "stay alive" for a little while, and I always Fizz them.. It only takes about 20 seconds and helps them out alot. All that being said...Sometimes no matter what you do to prevent losing fish, one here or there wont make it..
The needle I use is the "Bends Mender". They can probably be purchased at Anglers Marine, Last Chance Bait and Tackle and/or Bass pro Shops.. Its important to have one or two with you at all times when fishing deep.

Pete

TheAsianGuy
10-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey Pete, curious, did you use the side fin air release method or down the throat? It's easier going through the mouth, but there's plenty of discussion about harming the basses more via the throat than the lateral puncture. From what I can gather, lateral puncturing not only allow quick healing and avoid vital organs, but also the muscles will reinforce reinflation of the bladder with difficulties. I'm not a fish, so, I can't give definite answers.

Pete Marino
10-28-2011, 10:28 PM
I go through the Mouth. Ive never had a problem with hitting any "Internal organs". If its done correctly, its quick and easy and not harmful to the bass and its a direct hit every time.

Pete

gonefishin82
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Pete, what size weights do you use to drop shot in 40+ ft of water?

Pete Marino
10-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I use 1/4 oz weights 99% of the time. If its windy I go up one size...

But 1/4 is perfect most of the time if you have sensitive rods (Im a Dobyn's guy) and a really good flouro carbon.

Pete

gonefishin82
10-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I'd have thought to use 1/2 + to be fishing that deep to get it down faster on the d.s. Haven't done a much dropshot, usually go to the C-rig for that depth, I'll have to try the d/s more. Thanks

Pete Marino
11-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I definetly prefer the rig in water deeper than 40ft, HOWEVER, Sometimes they simply want the DS more than the rig. Reasons would be because they are suspended slightly off the bottom or simply want something more finesse. They really like the DS in those depths though..

Pete

gonefishin82
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the advice Pete. I don't wanna steal all your secrets ..... but what what baits do you like to DS?

Pete Marino
11-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I use a variety of dropshot baits ..some include Robo Worms 4-6" Aarons Magic and Softshell craw. Oxblood Light red flake..
Also Gee Gee baits has a line of AWESOME dropshot baits One I really like for Perris is Corpa Tone.

Pete