PDA

View Full Version : Kid's first boat trip?

Xfactor_56
10-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I am looking for some advice/feedback for taking my son out for his first time on an ocean trip. He is 9 years old and has only lake fished at this point. Does anyone have advice regarding a good age to start?
We live in the LAX area and are planning to go out late November. I don't care about a particular fish, my only goal is that he gets a lot of action.
Any suggestions for boats to consider, time frame (assume 1/2 day for first trip?) and any precautions to prevent him getting sick?
Thanks in advance...

City Dad
10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
I would recommend getting in touch with the Tradition (see link on this site) or the Enterprise out of Long Beach. Last I looked boats were doing fairly well on rockfish, sculpin & etc.. The guys on either of the above can give you the scoop on gear and I'm pretty sure both have rentals available.

I started taking my daughter when she was eight and we have an absolute blast whether the fishing is good or lousy.

My advice regarding sea-sickness would be to take on of the standard medicines available over the counter - I think we did dramamine last time - about on hour before you get on-board. We've gone out in some pretty snotty conditions and (knock-on-wood) we've been okay.

sodapop
10-24-2011, 04:54 PM
My son is 8 years old and I have taken him on many tripps the last two years. Dana Point has
a boat on Sunday where kids fish free, its good for the first time

Xfactor_56
10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Very cool, thanks for the advice!

JL
10-30-2011, 06:15 PM
the responses are good. Check on the party boat sites up and down the coast. see if any have special kids days. Also we take Green apples on our boat for guests who get green around the gills on the water. Soon after eating a few bits off the Green Apple they are back on the rail fishing

DockRat
10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
I would jump on the Voyager for a great show tomorrow.
See New Post GOT KRILL on SW General Discussion.
Forget school (much better natural education) or work and hope they don't leave.
This only lasts a couple days usually. Somebody call Sharkbait Anthony and get him out there
on a Kayak with that Hat Cam !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVtw94PJ8XA
DR

DockRat
10-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Any suggestions for boats to consider, time frame (assume 1/2 day for first trip?) and any precautions to prevent him getting sick?
Thanks in advance...

The best thing to avoid sea sickness to don't think about it.
If you talk about it and your son hears you, he will think about it. http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/CarolineMans/June%20Albumn/smileybarfing.gif

The only tuna trip I got on this year the owner of the 22' boat was sick most
of the day. He was blowing chunks even. Later he went below trying to sleep it off.
When we saw a school of BFT breaking I went below and woke him up and said get up and grab your rod.
Mr Greenface stagered up, all 3 of us pitched out sardines. Greenface got bit, set the hook. Within 1 minute
his face turned back to his normal color, BIG SMILE, the school sank out. My buddy Troy played coach to help him on his first Tuna. I had to drive (kick the boat forward several times and play photographer).

About 45 min later Troy sunk the Gaff and he decked the 40 lb BFT (on 20 lb mono) Tuna.
High fives all around and Tan Face said 'Give me a Beer' followed by a sandwich and was all smiles
the rest of the day. That was the only fish landed in 8 hours.

Catching fish cures Sea Sickness. Forget the mental 'I'm gunna get sick' thinking of the mind game.
Eat 1 hour before, No Greasy Junk, stay on deck, watch the water, tie hooks, talk, stay busy.
DR