PDA

View Full Version : Perris...and the beat goes on.....

Pete Marino
10-24-2011, 01:15 PM
THE BASS BEAT DOWN THAT IS!!!!!!

I went out to Perris on Thursday and Expected to Lay a major BEAT DOWN on the bass on my offshore spot after Me and KaralM hammered them the Friday before when we had over 50 bass...
So I met Denni and John at the lake at 6:30 only to find the lake completely blanketed with thick fog.. The visability was MAYBE 5-10 yards.. These conditions are EXTREMELY dangerous because of the very low visibility. Im always afraid of some yahoo speeding in the dense fog... And since my spots are in the middle of the lake basically, I decided to stay close to shore and fish instead of putting us in danger by positioning us out in the middle of nowhere where guys might be speeding in the very dense fog.
So we started fishing... and we fished some more...and some more...NO BITES in the 1st hour...WTF? Then we continued to fish some more as the fog only seemed to get thicker...:Shocked: Then I moved to a sunken boat I know of close to Shore in like 20 ft of water... Still no bites..GOOD GOD!!!:mad:
The dense fog lasted for almost 2 1/2 hours and we still hadnt been bit...BUT, what I did hear was a few boats going fast in the middle of the lake (Faster than the 5mph speed limit in the fog) So that made me feel good about my decision to stay close to shore and out of harms way. Like I said the visibility was MAYBE 10 yards and an accident can happen easily when people arent paying attention and/or are speeding in fog like that.
So we continued to fish BITELESS for the next 40 minutes which was extremely frustrating to me cause I was dying to fish my spots because i knew we'd get bit on them. FINALLY the visibilty got to be about 75 yards and I made my way to my deepwater honeyhole... The whole time on the way there I was hyping the spot to Denni and John about how good it was and how many bass I expected us to catch...
We finally get there and I meter the spot and drop a marker bouy.. We all fire out casts and as soon as my bait crests the ledge and touches the rock..I feel TICK TICK...and I CROSS ITS EYES... A solid 4 lb Perris Bass...YES!!! Then John feels his line go slack...And he looks at me to see if Im backing up the boat.. I see his slack line and say...."Reel up the slack and set the hook"..so he does and HE'S ON!!!! Another solid 3 1/2 lb Perris bass hits the deck!! Then Denni says..."Theres one" as he sets the hook and starts fighting a bass. 2 mintues later he lands a NICE 4 lb bass!!! We're Rolling now!!!:Big Grin: 3 bass in the first 5 minutes!!! Then Denni missed a bite.. Then his next cast he missed another bite..:Shocked: Then ..CHIRP CHIRP... the spot goes dead...WTF??? We kept fishing the spot PERFECTLY from different angles and only caught 1 more bass in the next hour... TIME TO ADJUST and figure out why my honey hole is DRY!!!
I tell the guys "REEL UP I have an idea of where they are" so we reel up and I retrieve the marker bouy...
What they didnt know was that about 10 minutes before that I saw a boil in deeper water about 100 yards from us and then about 5 minutes later i saw 2 more boils in the same area...
So I think these bass have pulled out off the spot and out into open water feeding on shad.... So I head out there and and put the trolling motor down.....HOLY MOLY....the graph was LIT UP with bass....Arches everywhere....I was right... So I bust out the tail spins and everyone starts firing away and instantly we start catching bass again...
The marks on the graph go from singles to doubles to STACKED UP in the matter of 40 minutes.. Thats when i decided it was time to bust out the ice jigs!!! I gave everyone a rod setup with an ice jig..then I tell them to watch me for a cast so they can see how to work the bait...So I drop down and start ripping it off the bottom... Within 5 rips IM ON!! A solid 3 1/2 lb bass.. so I reel it up and drop back down so they can watch one more time because they didnt really get to see how to work the bait much... I rip it again 2-3 times and IM ON AGAIN!!! Thats all that Denni and John had to see...as they both started to drop their baits... THEY WERE GONNA LEARN ON THE FLY!!! :LOL:
INSTANTLY as John and Denni's baits hit bottom and they began to rip the icejig...THEY BOTH HOOKED UP!!! DOUBLE HOOKUP BABY!!!:Big Grin: From that point on we put a serious HURT on the bass...
By the time it was time to call it a day we had caught OVER 40 Bass... And most of those fish came in the last 2 1/2 hours of the day. :Big Grin:

0-30 ft... 0 bass :mad:
40-45ft... 3 bass (1 on the carolina rig 2 on dropshot)
48-55 ft... 37+ bass Tailspins and Ice jigs

They didnt want pics so no pics this time... But stay tuned for THE BEAT GOES ON PART 2....Its gonna be GREAT with lots of pics!!!!

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
(909)241-8283 cell

JeffO
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I love that feeling you get when things quickly turn around for the better! Nice work out there. You know, I was wondering what type of finder you use? You use electronics to find the bass more than anyone I know. I'm gonna be hitting lakes like Castaic and Piru hard this winter in deep water and really wanna know that I have electronics to help me find the fish. Right now I have a Garmin Echo 200 (http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-echo-200-DualBeam-Sonar-Fishfinder/product/10212503/58360) and a Lowrance Mark 5X (http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Mark5x-Fishfinder/product/10215747/143070) and I'm either not using them to their full potential or they just aren't good enough finders....

Pete Marino
10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
I actually have older Lowrance Electronics.. X17 and x96 Ive kept them because I can read them like the back of my hand.. I know exactly what Im looking at, AT ALL TIMES.. So I havent made the upgrade until this week actually when I bought a Lowrance HDS7 with Structure scan...and Im gonna be buying another unit for the console, probably another HDS7 or maybe the HDS8 in the next couple weeks. Both units will be on my boat within the next couple weeks...(Im doing them at the same time)..
But for the next week or two Im gonna be using my old graphs.. After that, They are both actually for sale... Actually the X96 is for sale..I just sold that X17 last night to a friend...
Im a creature of habit and hate change...BUT...I figured its time for me to reward myself with HD graphs.... They are going to make things even more fun!!
If anybody wants to buy that X96 let me know.. It works AWESOME and is a really nice inexpensive console graph that Im gonna sell for a good price...

Pete

Pete Marino
10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Having good graphs and knowing how to read them is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL when fishing deep water...
Especially when Ice jigging or spooning.

I put that graph with a pic in the classifieds last night.

Pete

JeffO
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
That's a coincidence because I just bought my first ice jig a couple weeks ago out of instinct. Saw it at the tackle shop and thought it'd be a great vertical spooning lure for LMB.

Thanks for the info, Pete. Sounds like I need to spend a lot more time on the water learning about my finders. Good luck with those HD graphs - those are gonna be really fun I bet!!

KingShad
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Pete,

Dont forget to order the ethernet cable to plug into your front unit so your gps units share your markings. You may have already ordered it. I know it took a while for me to get mine in but that was back when the HDS first came out.

TheAsianGuy
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Man, you guys are having all the fun in the water. With the crazy fogs and major overcasts we've been getting lately, the action should be off the hook. On top of that, crazy fronts are moving in left and right. This is the best week to hit the water. Great to read your reports as always Pete. But man, that deep? and smacked in the do-and-die zone too? You are crazy!

Pete Marino
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep "The Asian Guy"... that deep... as I said.. There arent many boats out there right now so its not bad to be out there...But then again..Im in a 20ft Bass Boat, not a personal pontoon or a float tube.. If you are in one of those, you should stay closer to shore...Its not worth getting hit by some yahoo thats not paying attention and doesnt see you.. Thats a collision that youll never win..so stay safe .

And Kingshad.. Ill have top get on that..

Pete