PDA

View Full Version : Flyrod Help!!! Cracked reel seat

Piss on Myspace
10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
what up fnn? i just got my 1st fly rod last week, a 9 foot 5 weight loomis....used but in good condition. Handle and guides are still in good shape, but it has a crack running down the wood in the reel seat. Its not completely cracked, but I do need to seal. I was just curious if any of you had this problem and how you went about fixing it, or could i send it into loomis for the warranty without a receipt...ill be heading up to the E-Dub soon, thats pretty much why i bought it :Big Grin:

thanks in advance
dave
33501 33502 33505 33503 33504

Thisfool
10-23-2011, 06:54 PM
hmmm that looks not so good.

do you feel any kind of looseness or weakness in the rod or handle? if not i would try injecting the crack with some kinda wood glue then clamp it and once its nice and dry put a sealer on it.

by the way congrats on your first Fly rod you will soon be addicted

heydaad
10-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I've had happen on a trip to the sierras before ... old guy in Mammoth Lakes showed me how to use wood glue (poking it into the crack with a toothpick), then using 2 hose clamps gently to press it. Overnight it dried, and I used it for many years, then gave it my nephew that was 13 at the time. Don't fret, there's always a way to fix things.

tacklejunkie
10-23-2011, 07:18 PM
You can repair with rodbuilding epoxy or maybe you can fix it yourself by sawing the old one off carefully and putting a nicer new seat on.

That is likely the route I would take.

vortec_cruiser
10-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Use Gorilla Glue. Don't use their wood glue, use the dark colored stuff that water activated, and then clamp with hose clamps. This will hold better than anything else, and is 100% waterproof.

old pudd fisher
10-23-2011, 09:15 PM
All good advise from all, like vortec said use waterproof glue some wood glues are not and you will be ok with the fix.

Piss on Myspace
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
thanks for the responses and the detailed info everyone...

hey tj, if you don't mind, you think you can send me a pm with a little more info on how to go about that...thanks brotha

vortec_cruiser
10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Do an internet search on "fly rod reel seat replacement".
There are many articles on this procedure.