PDA

View Full Version : Perris today with Sublime Steve....a bunch of LMB, a hybrid and a beast!!!

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
So Steve and I went out today...water was 69 and glassed over. Very thin layer of fog and a little chilly. Started throwing my swim bait and well it was open season. Nothing to big in the LMB ...a few 3 pounders were the biggest. Steve managed to hook up with a hybrid redeart/blue gill. If you havent seen one before then check out the pic....they have the shape of a red ear but vertical bars and some fins like a blue gill...awesome looking fish. As we were finishing up our day, a guy pulls up to my boat and asked if I want a fish....I told him that I just catch and release so no thanx. I then asked what kind just to be curious and well he answers with..."Striper"...huh? I was like ok lets see it and he said sure........he pulls out a beast and a half of a fish. Steve said he would take it since the guy let it die.....on a side note, if you dont plan on eating the fish then just release it, dont just let it die then give it away! I weighed it on the DIGI and it read 16.2 !!!!!! so for anyone who doesnt believe that there are striper in Perris well here you go. By the way he caught it fishing for trout on a power mouse ...took him a half hour to get it in on his light tackle.

old pudd fisher
10-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Is that good or bad to have Stripers in Lake Perris ? Wow!! Interesting report guy's.

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 08:13 PM
There have been stripers in Perris for a long time. DFG is still baffled that they actually skip perris most of the time and end up at DVL. Perris is the last lake before DVL to get fed by the aqueduct. When they do get into Perris then they stay and just eat and well they get large. There was a 31 pounder caught in Feb. They are there but they dont spawn so no schoolies are ever caught.

old pudd fisher
10-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the reply and nice gill pic.... I'am still injoying that Chile Verde Recipe you gave me ....So tasty and easy to make.

SirBluegill
10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
That gill has some nice fins for his size. Cool report and pics.

jw4Bassing
10-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the report James. Also, that "Hybrid" has a very cool looking dorsal fin and that is one heck of a huge striper.

Tight Lines.....

JW

fishmounter
10-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Nice going again fellas. I don't think that Bluegill is a hybrid sunfish. Redears have a longer body and hybrids usually have an orange tipped "ear" or gill flap. Does have very nice large fins. And it's too bad he didn't release that striper instead of letting it die, but at least now it wont eat all my Bluegill!... Jk
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/BG.jpg

Pete Marino
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Nice job out there...

Yep the few striper that Perris has are on the chew...Ive heard of 5 this week alone..

Ill be there tomorrow...looking forward to it!!

I railed them on Thursday (the bass) in deep water.

Pete

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 09:23 PM
I tried to stay out of deep water by fishing swimmies in 10'.

TheAsianGuy
10-22-2011, 09:40 PM
What a monster of a striper there. Could have been a great ceviche dish. Great fun out there guys. Keep those reports coming in.

skunked again
10-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow! That would have been one exciting catch! At first look, I thought for sure you caught that. We went out again yesterday and landed 20 bass. The largest was about 2.5 lbs. What a great lake!

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow! That would have been one exciting catch! At first look, I thought for sure you caught that. We went out again yesterday and landed 20 bass. The largest was about 2.5 lbs. What a great lake!

John ....I have always said that Perris is a great lake.....I still believe that.

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice going again fellas. I don't think that Bluegill is a hybrid sunfish. Redears have a longer body and hybrids usually have an orange tipped "ear" or gill flap. Does have very nice large fins. And it's too bad he didn't release that striper instead of letting it die, but at least now it wont eat all my Bluegill!... Jk
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/BG.jpg

Believe it or not Jeff this is a hybrid....the body was much longer than a gillie...... The way Steve was holding the tail made it look shorter and his mouth was not like a gillie. Either way it was a nice looking fish.

TheAsianGuy
10-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Whether it's gillie, hybrid, or just changing its look, it's God's beautiful creature..good for take a photo of and then the frying pan :LOL:

tree
10-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Woo! good days fishiN!

Sublime-Steve
10-23-2011, 07:34 AM
I caught that panfish in like 30 ft of water with a kastmaster going for bass:EyePop: that striper made some HUGE filet's.. my neighbor from Thailand FLIPED OUT when she saw it. I gave her the biggest bag of fish ever. 1 of those bass almost yanked the rod outta my hand after i set the hook. Now everyone's gonna b tied up @ the bouyline going for mr stripy..

bassgrabber1
10-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Hey Steve I might be one of those people....lol.

Sublime-Steve
10-23-2011, 08:35 AM
LOL! you know! **** me to.. we need to go to the ocean n get some fresh dines.. or net some shad n drop it on them. I want 1 of those on my line.

Natural Lefty
10-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Bassgrabber, I wanted to ask you something. I think you were going to help the DFG with electroshocking Perris. Were you the person who told AsianGuy about the "perch" that were found, and if so, what type of fish were these really? As I am sure you know, a "perch" could be a lot of different types of fish. We were thinking Sacramento Perch on my thread from last week.

To me, the fish in the second photo just looks like a Florida strain Bluegill. I have caught Redear/Bluegill hybrids, which aren't uncommon in some places, and the ones I have seen don't look like that. The fish in Fishmounter's photo appears to be a Bluegill/Green Sunfish hybrid, by the way.

I know that there are Stripers in Perris in limited numbers. Everything in Silverwood gets into Perris. I think the Striper numbers will stay on the low side at Perris, though, due to lack of spawning for them in Perris.

bassgrabber1
10-23-2011, 02:48 PM
They looked to be yellow perch but without any green coloring....DFG was going to take one for analysis. As far as the hybrid.....DFG said that they are red ear/ blue gill....they are the bodies of red ear but have all the markings of blue gill. And yes there are Stripers in Perris but its cool just to see them caught.

Konacrush
10-23-2011, 08:21 PM
What a monster of a striper there. Could have been a great ceviche dish. Great fun out there guys. Keep those reports coming in.

Wow nice day what a dummy for killing the striper if he wasnt going to eat it . I'm sure she tasted good

TheAsianGuy
10-23-2011, 10:28 PM
More and more curious by the freaking moment. ARRGGGGG..I want to get to the water! Got to be patient until this coming Sat. My gears are full set up, and got the best digi cam ready for action with the waterproof pouch too, while the waterproof cam is mounted for video action..again. James, let us know what DFG finds out about that PERCH..PERCH..PERCH. Will hunt for the flatheads too. They will make some delicious saute meat for a marinated cabbage bed with rice. YUM.

fish-o-haulic
10-23-2011, 10:41 PM
stripers in perris? actually doesnt surprise me but theres just not a whole lot of them. Like piru if im not mistaken.

Natural Lefty
10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Bassgrabber, that is really intriguing about the perch. If you read the other thread from last week, my first guess was Yellow Perch since they are "true perch" and are well-konwn and desired by a lot of fisherpeople. But you say these ones lack the green, so I guess they are all yellow. I have yet to see one at Perris, but hope to soon, whatever they are.

I looked at the photo of the sunfish again with higher resolution, and did see 3 things that might be indicative of a Redear/Bluegill hybrid. For one, it's mouth looked more elongated like a Redear, although the hook was in its mouth making it harder to see. For another, it had no vertical bars, although I think some Bluegills lack the vertical bars too. Plus, it had really large fins. The Redear-Bluegill hybrids I have seen are usually hybrids between northern strain Bluegills and Redears, so these ones at Perris may look different. Nonetheless, I think I may have caught one or two fish that looked like Redear-Bluegill hybrids at Perris in the past, that were similar to the ones from Cachuma or the Colorado River. I wonder if they hybrids are fertile, or infertile like the Green Sunfish-Bluegill hybrids are said to be. If they are fertile, there could be fish that are mostly Bluegill but part Redear, or vice versa.

About the Striped Bass, I was thinking when the guy said it was caught on a "power mouse" although I am not familiar with those, he probably didn't actually catch it on that. Most likely, a trout bit the power mouse, then the striper went after the trout.

Oh, Bassgrabber, I hope you keep us posted if you find out the results of the DFG analysis of the mystery perch.

fish-o-haulic
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
More and more curious by the freaking moment. ARRGGGGG..I want to get to the water! Got to be patient until this coming Sat. My gears are full set up, and got the best digi cam ready for action with the waterproof pouch too, while the waterproof cam is mounted for video action..again. James, let us know what DFG finds out about that PERCH..PERCH..PERCH. Will hunt for the flatheads too. They will make some delicious saute meat for a marinated cabbage bed with rice. YUM.

Leo you ever catch striper outta perris.

TheAsianGuy
10-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Not yet Deandrew. Not yet. If they're in there..I'll chase them down, eventually. Wife loves striper's meat. That's why I plan on hiring a guide at DVL for a fun day with my younger brother or father-in-laws to hunt those crazy hitting fishes. I'll make them an awesome lunch/dinner out of those DDs we catch.

fish-o-haulic
10-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Not yet Deandrew. Not yet. If they're in there..I'll chase them down, eventually. Wife loves striper's meat. That's why I plan on hiring a guide at DVL for a fun day with my younger brother or father-in-laws to hunt those crazy hitting fishes. I'll make them an awesome lunch/dinner out of those DDs we catch.

Hey Leo actually i wanted to ask you know how to work trout worms. going to apollo park in two weeks and am gonna need to konw how to use them.

TheAsianGuy
10-24-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't normally use plastics unless something peak my interests to the point that it bothers me. However, trout worms have been in the market for ages. They are easy to use:

Sinkable version on #8 to #12 hooks: Trouts are extremely acute to the lines you're casting. So, make sure the line is very light, or use a nice 24" leader of flouro. I normally use a 2 or 4lbs mono test for trouts, with a 2 or 4lbs flouro leader. Read the package to see if the trout worms you're getting is the sink or the float type. If you're planning to get the ones from Walmart, I can say it's the sink type. Rig it T-rig/Wacky style. Punch the hook through the worms body, and slowly retract it to expose only a small (0.5mm to 1mm). This way, most of the hook is hidden, but still allow the hook to expose enough for the hook to set after the bite. This will also can be adapted to the slip bobber method to offer a nice presentation, and remain at certain depth.

Float version: Texas or Carolina rig, with an 18" to 26" flouro leader. This is great if the pond/lake has a shallow bottom (5 feet close to shore to a 15 feet at the sudden drop off). Early morning and in shady areas, they will venture in and out close to shore along weed beds to hunt. They will even venture into sand bed if they know there are possible foods dropping from trees and bushes above.

Keep in mind that they will strike floating insects faster than worms in the water. Suggestion is to grab a few fly fishing floating insect foam lures when you can. The foam piece will not be ingested, unless the fish swallow the entire hook into its belly. The only possible piece that would come out is the wax threads they use to make the insect legs. Safe for the fishes. Use it with a traditional wooden slip bobber, or the clear twist slip bobber. Both will be great for you to add additional casting weight. Make sure to add at least 16" of leader.

This is a mayhem setup I've learned from ice fishing, involving 3 hooks on a flouro leader, creating different depth presentation.

1. Starting at the end of the leader, I use a floater type crank bait. I either use a floating nice red/blue/silver minnow, or the Rapala purple/silver shad, sized just enough to support the other two hooks.

2. From the crank bait, add 12" of lead to the next hook. May want to use a Palomar/Improve Clinch knot to create a 2" extension from the leader. Use a white/red or orange/yellow colored crappie jig. Add a cricket/red wiggly, or in your case, trout worm, T-rig/wacky.

3. From that hook, add another 12" of lead. This one doesn't need an extension form the main leader. It can flush to the line. Rather than a jig, use a regular hook #10, #12, or #14. Hook that puppy up with your favorite bait, whether it's pb, live work, cricket, or some poacher.

* If the water weeds is mininal, add a 1/8 oz sliding egg to get the hooks go vertical in the water as it the line stops, or at a 35° movement presentation as you slowly reel the line in every other minute. My family rigs get hammered by two trouts at one time on all three lines. We were scrambling to help the kids' line out first, and nearly lost the 3rd rod. So, good luck!

Natural Lefty
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Bassgrabber, I thought of something else in the meanwhile. Were the "perch" little minnow size specimens? If so, they could be Bigscale Logperch, which I caught 2 or 3 of at Silverwood in the past. They are in the true perch family along with their cousins Yellow Perch, Walleyes and Sauger, but they are unfortunately too tiny to be of much interest for intentionally catching, or eating. They are an interesting curiosity which was introduced to the central valley way back in the 1800s for reasons I know nothing about, and they still survive there and get swept southward with the aqueduct water.

Here is a link to some photos of some Bigscale Logperch from Putah Creek. http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/species/?uid=6&ds=241

TheAsianGuy
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Robert, are you planning to encourage me to bring my own shocking equipment or something?! :LOL: His reports are tempting enough..now, you might push me over the edge to strap my electrodes to the large onboard battery that I use for the fish finder to electrocute those poor things. I'll definitely hunt the ground that James and DFG established their discovery of the two new critters. Join me for the hunt Robert!!

bassgrabber1
10-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Bassgrabber, I thought of something else in the meanwhile. Were the "perch" little minnow size specimens? If so, they could be Bigscale Logperch, which I caught 2 or 3 of at Silverwood in the past. They are in the true perch family along with their cousins Yellow Perch, Walleyes and Sauger, but they are unfortunately too tiny to be of much interest for intentionally catching, or eating. They are an interesting curiosity which was introduced to the central valley way back in the 1800s for reasons I know nothing about, and they still survive there and get swept southward with the aqueduct water.

Here is a link to some photos of some Bigscale Logperch from Putah Creek. http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/species/?uid=6&ds=241

Bingo!!!!!! That is what they were! Sweet man....thanx for helping! Im stoked.

HawgStalker
10-24-2011, 05:57 PM
WTG guys! Thats a great day on the lake.....

Natural Lefty
10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Thank you, Bassgrabber. The mystery is solved. Those won't ever become a popular fishing item, but they are a totally surprising curiosity of a fish, given that they are miniature relatives of Walleyes.

I did my own internet search and identified the little critters after catching a couple of them at Silverwood.

AsianGuy, I will be watching for you out there at Perris "helping out the DFG" with your own electroshocking studies. LOL

bassgrabber1
10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply and nice gill pic.... I'am still injoying that Chile Verde Recipe you gave me ....So tasty and easy to make.

Glad you enjoyed it.

bassgrabber1
10-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you, Bassgrabber. The mystery is solved. Those won't ever become a popular fishing item, but they are a totally surprising curiosity of a fish, given that they are miniature relatives of Walleyes.

I did my own internet search and identified the little critters after catching a couple of them at Silverwood.

AsianGuy, I will be watching for you out there at Perris "helping out the DFG" with your own electroshocking studies. LOL

DFG has confirmed that is the species....again thanx Lefty.