PDA

View Full Version : Playing Farmville at Skinner

P.A.W.
10-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Had a frustrating day today 10/22. No boils this morning so started the troll. Got hit hard on the way to ramp 2 area, but it got off. OK no problem, I just turned around and revisited the area and picked up a fishy. After that I trolled all over the lake because the fish were scattered and at all sorts of depths. All in all I got 5 by 11:30 but the thing is I farmed about 3 times that number. Short strikes, head shakers, you name the scenario and they threw it at me. I was using the same rig as always and they were just not sticking. The ones I landed were all hooked in the corner of the mouth and just dropped off on deck.

Well Sunday should be interesting. Either huge or blah. See you there Jag!

brad1
10-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Yo could try to tie some small swivalls on your treblesi think I saw some at bps... to make it a little harder for them to shake your lure out...good luck next time

Brad1

P.A.W.
10-22-2011, 03:46 PM
No trebbles here. Just the one hook like this http://www.tackletour.com/reviewhhswimbait.html

smokey25
10-22-2011, 04:08 PM
You were probably the one i spoke to for a bit at the inlet. i was in the rental. Tried trolling around with the swimbaits, but no takers. Didnt use a u-rig tho. What depth did you find them at?

P.A.W.
10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Hey man, nice to see another FNN'r out there. Just before I ran into you guys I had one along the main bouy line at 50' deep, but most were at the usual 12-15 feet for a U-rig, but they were all over the water culumn.

JAG107
10-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Hopefully the "every day is different" rule will apply tomorrow. I need some taco meeeeet! See you out there Pat. Hell I'd be stoked to have the kind of action you had today!

P.A.W.
10-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Could be interesting. The water is pretty low and the inlet was running pretty hard. If it has been running all night it could change things up.

smokey25
10-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Im gonna have to bring my u-rig next time. Was hoping for the inlet to produce for me on chovies and liver like in the past so i could relax a bit. These stripers are gonna have me working to find them.

Good luck out there. Report back how it goes.

Sam

P.A.W.
10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, more of the same today. I think the bait guys at the inlet were doing a bit better. The fish were thin and spread out. One here, one there. It took me 'til 1:00 to pick up 6 fish. We had a litttle boil action around 7:30 but you had to be quick.

It seems the size of fish is down a bit too. More of the rats than in the last few weeks. That may explain why they were short striking. Only farmed one today. I ran into Jag107 out there. We kind of kept in touch by phone to say where we metered schools and boils. We both kept at it hard and both caught some taco meat.

smokey25
10-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, more of the same today. I think the bait guys at the inlet were doing a bit better. The fish were thin and spread out. One here, one there. It took me 'til 1:00 to pick up 6 fish. We had a litttle boil action around 7:30 but you had to be quick.

It seems the size of fish is down a bit too. More of the rats than in the last few weeks. That may explain why they were short striking. Only farmed one today. I ran into Jag107 out there. We kind of kept in touch by phone to say where we metered schools and boils. We both kept at it hard and both caught some taco meat.

Nice tag team action. This fall is kinda slow compared to last year and the fish were also bigger. The trout stockings should turn things around and get them nice and big.

Jig-Guy
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
OK! Gang what is a
u-rig:???:. I have never heard of a u-rig and need to learn what it is. Please let us know.

TL
jg

P.A.W.
10-23-2011, 06:55 PM
It's an UMBRELLA RIG!!!!!!! See here http://www.basspro.com/Sea-StrikerŪ-4Arm-Umbrella-Rig/product/98710/70953

JAG107
10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Well it was a success for me today anyway, after one fish in two consecutive DVL trips before today. Got 3 on the downrigged fluke all within a 1 hour window. Fish were all standard Skinner schoolie size. PAW was having a bit better success with the U rig. They only boiled for an hour or so in the main body, then scattered. LOTS of salad snagging up the troll, made it a bit difficult but at least an eventful day.
Trout stocking will happen Nov 4 or 5th, according to the rangers. Don't know how a 1 -2 lb striper will swallow a 2lb Sierra Bow, hopefully it'll wake up the bigger models. BBZ time in 2-3 weeks???

smokey25
10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
you better believe ill have my swimbait rod ready to go. :]. Its interesting how the size of the stripers change and what they bite on every year. Last year had larger models and would bite everything.

Fishthewhaler
10-24-2011, 11:57 PM
OK! Gang what is a
u-rig:???:. I have never heard of a u-rig and need to learn what it is. Please let us know.

TL
jg

FYI just remember you can only use 3 hooks on em max, everything else is just a "teaser",..Better buy a few cuz the first few times using them you could loose a few...Good luck