PDA

View Full Version : Perris Lake 10/21 Sail Cove with Juanmore Again

Natural Lefty
10-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Here comes my next exciting installment of "As the Worm Turns: The Perris Chronicles."

I made it to the lake earlier yesterday, about 2:30 p.m., with gobs of leftover storebought and new homegrown worms for bait, plus a couple of grubs from the compost. As before, I cast a paternoster type rig baited with worms out as far as I could on my 6 pound line, while fishing around the pier with 2 pound line with worms on a microjig.

At first, nothing bit, but around 3 p.m., there goes my lucky pole with the paternoster rig bending over again, and I reeled in a decent size Bluegill. A little while later, I caught a slightly larger Bluegill on my other pole, again when I was working with my other pole. "A Watched Pole Never Bends" seemed to be a theme this day. Maybe the fish are slowing down with the cooler water and don't go for moving baits so much.

Between 3:30 and 4:30, nothing bit which was really disappointing. I did try a sinking bobber technique for awhile on another pole instead of the paternoster rig, but retired that pole for the day when I casted out and it went all the way to the knot at the bottom of the spool. I definitely need to put some new line on that reel. Also, I was expecting Juanmore and his family but they hadn't shown up. I remembered they showed up around 5 p.m. last time, so I was thinking that would be the case again most likely. At 4:30, I noticed my paternoster rig was a little tight but no obvious bite, so I picked it up, and sure enough, there was a fish on the line digesting its food. I knew right away that it was a Redear, just like what happened last week with my second Redear. It was about the same size as that Redear too. I have noticed that either Redears bite very lightly, which is most of the time, or they bite very hard. I usually use very light equipment and less weight, so I often feel or see the subtle bites, but I guess not with the 1/2 ounce weight and the paternoster rig.

After that, I started getting more bites again, but missing them on the pole not being watched. At 5 p.m., sure enough, Juan and Evelyn showed up, with the wife watching the napping little boy (Johnathan?) in the car. I showed them the fish which was interesting to them since they didn't know what a Redear was yet. They only had one pole because Juan had been very busy and so had forgotten Evelyn's pole. He let her borrow his pole which had a big red mealworm on a small fly, and next thing we knew, Evelyn reeled in a 10 inch Bass. I think she has that feminine fish karma thing going on the same way my wife does. Next, I let her borrow one of my poles, my traveller's 4 part ultralight with 2 pound line on it. It's a good thing I brought 4 poles with me. When I told her she could use that one, it immediately bent over with a bite, then stopped, then bent again, then stopped. By the time she got there, the fish was gone.

Juan's wife next showed up and she had to go to the gym for awhile so she needed Evelyn to watch her little brother. Evelyn and the mom went off and didn't return until after 6:30. In that time, Juan and I talked a lot, mostly about fishing, and began making top-secret plans for next week. The fishing wasn't particularly good, but we kept missing bites when we weren't paying attention. Maybe we were a bit distracted. At one point, the ranger showed up in the parking lot next to my car and lingered there, making me worried that I had forgotten my Poppy Pass. I went up to check, and my Poppy Pass was right where it should be. When I returned, my paternoster pole bent over, but I got there a moment too late. Another time, Juan was closer to the pole when it bent over, so he tried to set the hook but was too late again. Juan missed several bites too, and one time had a good puller on the line but it came off when he almost had it in.

Eventually, some small Bluegills started biting near the pier, but it was much fewer than two weeks ago, likely the result of the cooling fall weather. I caught 3 little ones around the pier, and Juan caught one, all of which we released. I also lost one that felt decent size during that period. Finally, Evelyn showed up again as it was getting dark, and brought her good fishing luck with her. Juan was saying he had a long day and was tired, but Evelyn wanted to fish a while more. I lent her that same pole. She soon had one on but it came off, and a moment later, I noticed somehow, although it was nearly dark, that the end of my paternoster pole was jiggling. Sure enough, there was a fish on it, which felt heavier. Actually, it felt somewhat as though I had hooked a small lawn chair, but finally, it did a few shakes. It turned out to be another Channel Catfish, on the small side, but big enough. I don't know what it is with me and the Channel Catfish since I returned from Taiwan. They seem to seek out my bait or lure even when I am not trying for them. I gave Juan and Evelyn a good look at my catfish which they were interested in. After showing them the catfish, I stopped fising and gave Evelyn one more worm to use on my ultralight pole, and sure enough, she quickly caught a juvenile Bluegill on it, which she released, ending her fishing day also on a positive note. We all headed home at that point, which was about 7 p.m.

The total catch for me was 5 Bluegills (2 kept, 3 released), 1 Redear Sunfish (kept) and 1 Channel Catfish (kept), all on worms. To show that I am no braggart, I accurately weighed the panfish I kept, with both Bluegills weighing in at about 4 ounces, the Redear, at 6 ounces, and the catfish, at a whopping 7 ounces. They had commensurate length measurements ranging from 7 inches minus to 10 inches plus. Anyway, they will do fine as part of my panfish diet. Juan is making plans to put his family on a panfish diet in the near future.

In addition, Juan caught one Bluegill on a mealworm which he released, and Evelyn caught a Bass on a mealworm and a Bluegill on a redworm which were released.

I took a photo of Gorjilina "eating the fish." Actually, it was a "trick" photo, as I put the kitty treat in between the fish and took the photo as Gorjilina was eating it. I guess one could say Gorjilina was trick-or-treating. My male cat Smurfull showed up this morning and I would have liked to have gotten his photo too, but he had gone back to patrolling the neighborhood by the time I took the photo. (If you think Gorjilina is a big cat, wait until you see Smurfull.) By the way, Juan has been having troubles uploading photos to this site too. He said he tried to upload some photos of Evelyn with her fish 2 weeks ago, but the computer said they were too big.

Stay tuned for another exciting episode of "As the Worm Turns." Next week's episode is shaping up to be a real humdinger. Here's a hint: We are planning to actually fish somewhere other than Perris Lake for a change.

TheAsianGuy
10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Ahhh..the fun time at Perris for panfishes. I'm surprise the elusive trouts are not in the picture. Hm..guess they haven't migrate too much towards the dam yet. You know what, ultra-micro light rigs are freaking fun to play with. Takes a bit to get used to, but man, hauling anything larger than 2lbs is like reeling in a monster. Panfishes hunt is quite fun. Can't wait to hit the dam next weekends. I want to find the elusive new fishes. So freaking excited! Asking around for grubs from my coworkers' compost piles. Got my worms and crickets ready, and fattening up them right now. Let me know if you're available for tubing next Sat if Steve is not around. Spare tube is ready for you. Glad to haul you ramp to the fun zone. Looks like the overcast and fog will be lingering longer in the morning, so, it will be a massive fun time for early morning session.

Natural Lefty
10-22-2011, 06:03 PM
AsianGuy, I wish I would catch a 2 pounds plus fish on my 2 pound ultralight rig. Actually, I have done that before several times, or around 2 pounds, but it doesn't happen that often for me. My 1/4 pound panfish already pull pretty good on the ultralight, though.

As for Trout, we saw one guy catch a fish down the shore that might have been a Trout, or maybe a Bass, but we were too far away to tell. As for possible new species in Perris, Juan said a woman last week caught a good size fish that was light colored and "small lips" I think he said. We were trying to figure out what it was, but my best guess is that is was either a Redear or a Redear/Bluegill hybrid but he wasn't familar with the appearance of Redears yet. Perhaps it was something different, though. I wish I had been there to see it.

My grub supply is running low in my compost, but I don't know if that is a temporary thing or not.

As for fishing plans, I am tentatively planning to go to another lake next Friday afternoon, and not go fishing next Saturday. I guess you are working Monday-Friday, though.

TheAsianGuy
10-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Light colored fish? small lips? Hm..must be a trout or a panfish.

I work M-Th. Friday is Mr. Mom day for me, since wife works. Alternating Sat is daddy's half day away from family, while she's exercising with the kids on the bike trail. Daddy tackles the water for dinner :Surprised: Everyone here loves fish tacos, so, it's a treat for them for me to catch, and prep the meal. I introduced them to panfishes year ago, and they can't get enough of it. Ceviche striped bass with shrimps is something they fell in love to as well. Can't make enough to satisfy their appetites. So, I'll be spending all Sat and the following Fri to max my limit and fill the frig up. This hopefully will tie them over until trout season kicks in full gear.

white belt
10-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey lefty i went out today and got skunked! Guy next to me caught about 7 bass with a drop ahot and night crawlers. Do you fish off the pier? And can you fish off the piers near the marina? I should try for panfish next time. I was probably the only guy who got skunked there lately haha

Sublime-Steve
10-23-2011, 09:37 AM
white belt last 2 times i went form shore i got the skunk... 7 bass on a night crawler? how big?

white belt
10-23-2011, 11:32 AM
white belt last 2 times i went form shore i got the skunk... 7 bass on a night crawler? how big?

When I got there he already had one on the stringer. Just about legal size, I'd say 2-3 lbs. He C&R a couple dinks and when I left, I saw he had an even bigger one on his stringer. He kept 2 total.

which piers can you fish off? seems like some you could and some you cant. This guy was casting from shore pretty far out, past the piers. I want to try fishing the marina next time... I was at the launch yesterday.

Natural Lefty
10-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your skunks, White Belt and Steve. I was fishing at the fishing pier in Sail Cove. It's technically at lot 1 I think, and I have done well there all year. It's not very big but hard to miss.

Actually, I think you can fish off any dock or pier at Perris now. Other docks you can fish from include the marina, out on the end if you pay $3, and closer in even without paying, except behind the locked gates, and if one of the 2 launch ramp parking lots is closed, you can fish on its docks as well. All of them have good panfish fishing, except that the launch ramp ones have not been nearly as good as usual this year for mysterious reasons. I think it's a lot easier to catch panfish than bass from shore right now. That might change when winter sets in, but I think I have figured out how to catch a few Redears per trip in the winter from the marina docks. It seems there was at least one fisherman catching the bass out there, but not you.

AsianGuy, the unidentified fish was not a trout or a bass. Juan can easily recognize those. It seemed to be some sort of large panfish. I just couldn't be sure what it was from his description. I see there is something about a hybrid fish from Perris in another thread.

So you have to stay home with the kids on Fridays? Maybe before long you can take them fishing with you on Fridays. I eat ceviche and sashimi from fish I catch sometimes too, and it has never given me any problem. I am just a wee bit eccentric for a white guy. My wife is a wee bit eccentric for a Chinese, too, and our personalities sort of match. I have made fish tacos too, and a bunch of other recipes that involve cooking. I guess that's all part of the "panfish diet." My wife eats so many panfish that it's practically her staple diet in terms of protein, even more than me.

white belt
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks lefty. Hopefully i can get out again soon with the new jigs i got from bass pro. Nothing like a little reatail therapy after a skunk haha

carpanglerdude
10-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Actually, I think you can fish off any dock or pier at Perris now. Other docks you can fish from include the marina, out on the end if you pay $3, and closer in even without paying, except behind the locked gates, and if one of the 2 launch ramp parking lots is closed, you can fish on its docks as well. All of them have good panfish fishing, except that the launch ramp ones have not been nearly as good as usual this year for mysterious reasons. I think it's a lot easier to catch panfish than bass from shore right now. That might change when winter sets in, but I think I have figured out how to catch a few Redears per trip in the winter from the marina docks. It seems there was at least one fisherman catching the bass out there, but not you.

I was fishing near the unused launch ramp docks today, saw the 'no fishing' imprint on the docks and decided against fishing on it. Thanks for the tip about being able to fish on them, I'll try them next time if they aren't being used!

Natural Lefty
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Carpanglerdude and White Belt, yes, the launch ramp docks have no fishing signs painted on. There are also no fishing signs on the marina docks, but it's not true. You can fish on the launch ramp docks when the parking lot is closed because obviously there will be no boats launching or being hoisted onto trailers there. You can also fish from the ones boats use after all the boats are in, but that tends to very late. You cannot fish from the ones that boats are using during the daytime until the boats are all in. I have even spoken with rangers about the rules for fishing from those docks, and that is exactly what they told me.

They used to not allow fishing on the marina docks, but changed their policy a few years ago, although they never took down some of the no fishing signs. The pier in Sail Cove was built explicitly for fishing and includes railings. It was built after the 2 piers on the dam blew away in a windstorm, as a replacement for them, since they were too vulnerable to storms.

The fishing can be good from shore near the launch ramp docks too. Sometimes, I find the fishing is better in the west corner of the launch ramp cove than from the docks, but usually having access to the docks helps the fishing.

white belt
10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks again for the info Lefty. The corner of the launch ramp, by the dock with the Perris boats, is where that guy caught all those LMB. There were a lot of bait fish jumping around that little corner, and I saw two guys with fish finders cruising around that spot too.

I asked that old gentlemen about the docks and he said the two on the right of launch cove are for fishing, two in the middle are for launching and then there's the one with Perris boats.

I'm going to camp there in the coming weeks, so maybe I'll claim one of those spots early. And as for sail cove, should I park in fisherman's lot or lot 1 or no big difference?

Sublime-Steve
10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Just got back from perris. fished off the dock on the far right of the boat launch cove. caught 4, 3 got off. all were on the jerk bait and a texes rigged green pumpkin senko. That guy that kept those bass, his name is paul he fish's there alot. sometimes he keeps undersized ones 2 :-( he tosses out a 2 oz weight and drop shots hand poured worms. lemme know next time u go out whitebelt.. ill show u some good spots

Natural Lefty
10-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Steve, I am surprised Paul has never been caught with undersized Bass. I think I may have seen him doing his thing before, too. It sounds like the Bass fishing was pretty good on the launch ramp fishing docks. I think I need to get back there for another try. Now that it's fall, it looks like fish are moving into the area.

White Belt, that old gentleman was essentially correct. The two on the left are for the official boats, and you can't fish from them, but they have a locked gate anyway, so you can't get in. I don't fish that side very often, but there seem to be a lot of Bass around there, and it's usually okay for Bluegill, but not much else.

Usually, boats launch from the one in the middle, and the one on the right (west) side is closed to boats, open to fishing. Sometimes, however, even that one has boats launching, especially when it's really crowded at the lake. I have also seen times when the one on the right is open to boats and parking, but the middle parking lot is closed so dock fisherpeople can fish from there.

For Sail Cove, there is no big difference, but I found that lot 1 is slightly closer than fisherman's lot. I just walk down the slope from lot 1, although I used to park in the fisherman's lot ("sail cove") and follow the path down to the pier until I found out that way was actually somewhat longer. Sir Bluegill and his family did the same thing as I did when they went there, parking in lot 1.

Sublime-Steve
10-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Natural Lefty you should fish for bluegill off those dock on the right hand side. I always catch nice size gill's and redear while I fish for bass, a bit far from shore i use a drop shot with a lil trout worm from walmart. they always try and pull my pole in..

SirBluegill
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Yup what Steve said there some nice sized gills off those docks, not the largest mind you but the kind that go in the frying pan.

http://bigbluegill.com/photo/dsc-0034?context=user
http://bigbluegill.com/photo/dsc-0037?context=user
http://bigbluegill.com/photo/dsc-0031?context=user

white belt
10-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Just got back from perris. fished off the dock on the far right of the boat launch cove. caught 4, 3 got off. all were on the jerk bait and a texes rigged green pumpkin senko. That guy that kept those bass, his name is paul he fish's there alot. sometimes he keeps undersized ones 2 :-( he tosses out a 2 oz weight and drop shots hand poured worms. lemme know next time u go out whitebelt.. ill show u some good spots

Yeah that sounds like him. He did tell me he's been fishing Perris for a long time now. And for sure I'll let you know next time I go. I'm HOPING this Saturday but it's a long shot...

Natural Lefty
10-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that dock on the far right of the launch ramp area is usually my wife's and my spot most frequent fishing spot in most years, but this year, I went there several times in the spring, and absolutely nothing bit, so I got discouraged. I would always wind up going somewhere else rather than staying too long there. There were some Redears there early in the spring, but they didn't bite when I was there. At the latest, the last time I was there was in July, but I probably haven't been there since early June. I also kept going back there to check the surface activity in the evening, and it was nil, which seemed like a sign that something was amiss. I used to catch dozens of Bluegills on flies there in the evenings, mostly in the corner to the right of the last dock. We also used to catch Redears from the dock plus good numbers of Bluegills. It looks like they are back now. Thanks for the info. SirBluegill and Steve. I will try to go there before too long. I should try some trout worms for panfish. Last time I used them I think I caught some Golden Trout on them in the Sierras, and I think I still have the trout worms in my gear.