PDA

View Full Version : Awesome fishing for quality Bass going on @ Perris & a huge Potbelly... Thur 10-20-11

jw4Bassing
10-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I've been ignoring fishing my home lake of "Puddingstone" since June and have been focusing my attention fishing "Lake Perris" for the last (4) months. My goal is to try and familirize myself with that lake to figure out the seasonal patterns as well as the good offshore spots and baits to use for that lake. So far this lake has not disappoint as I've been nailing these bass on a consistent basis and I'm beginning to like Perris a lot that I ended up purchasing an annual pass back in September. So that means I'll be heading out there every now and then for the "Winter" and "Spring" bite as well.

Anyways, I made a trip out there on Thursday and as I arrived at the lake, there was a heavy thick fog out there with about a 10- 20 yard of visibility. Had to put on my running lights on my boat before heading out of the launch ramp. And thank goodness for the "gps" on our units. It allow me to navigate to my first honeyhole in the morning by punching in one of my saved waypoints that I have saved in my Lowrance HDS.

The heavy fog did not lifted till about 10:00 AM and it was excellent for the topwater bass bite. When the sun finally came out, it was time to fish a little deeper with plastics and reaction baits as these fish are aggressively chasing bait up and down the water column on these massive bait balls.

I ended up fishing a total of three spots today for a total of (29) bass with the best (5) bass limit weighing approximately 25 lbs. that included a very bizarre fat "Potbelly" Bass. The bass were caught on the surface, mid depth, and deepwater up to 50 feet of water.

Here are a few pictures of the fish:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/jw4bassing/007-1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/jw4bassing/008-2.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/jw4bassing/003-3.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/jw4bassing/004-3.jpg

Tight Lines.......

JW

scott e
10-22-2011, 11:57 AM
That thing looks like it swallowed a small baby! Nice goin'!

tree
10-22-2011, 02:24 PM
WOAH THAT BELLY IS SO FATTTT!!!!
Way to go!

TheAsianGuy
10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Dang JW. What a freaking potbelly of a pig you got there. I think Scott is right about it just swallowed something huge. Could be a few trouts sitting its stomach? That's a nice haul you got for the morning. Bass bites are crazy at Perris now. Fun to catch and release those buggers.

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Wtg JW! Are you the one that I met at Bass Pro?

jw4Bassing
10-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I think Scott is right about it just swallowed something huge. Could be a few trouts sitting its stomach?

You could possibly be correct since Perris had their first trout stock of the season about a week ago or either it had consumed thousands of shad. When the fish surfaced, it was shaking its head violently, thrasing and spitting out several shad in the 3" size. The belly was so huge I thought it was going to explode on the deck of my boat.....lol.

Tight Lines.....

JW

jw4Bassing
10-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Wtg JW! Are you the one that I met at Bass Pro?

Hi James,

Yes it was me and it was nice meeting you and chatting with you about a month ago at "BPS". BTW, have you had any good success fishing those baits that I saw you holding in your hands? Anyways, wish you continued success at Perris and hopefully I'll bump into you again someday whether it be at "Lake Perris" or "BPS".

Tight Lines....

JW

bassgrabber1
10-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi James,

Yes it was me and it was nice meeting you and chatting with you about a month ago at "BPS". BTW, have you had any good success fishing those baits that I saw you holding in your hands? Anyways, wish you continued success at Perris and hopefully I'll bump into you again someday whether it be at "Lake Perris" or "BPS".

Tight Lines....

JW

Yeah Jimmy! I nailed a 7 pounder last Friday.....and tons of smaller ones.

white belt
10-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow nice :Shocked:

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey, it's good ta see a post from u...haven't seen or heard from U in a while..

Nice work on them dam healthy bass : )

That sucka DOES have a sick belly, never seen them at this time o season all obese like that...it look as if it were full of eggs but way too late for that..

Saweet !

Congrats and keep up the good work !

Gary

smokehound
10-24-2011, 06:08 PM
that fish is egg-bound.

Sometimes there's an obstruction that prevents eggs from being laid, possibly malformed eggs, or even a swallowed hook blocking it. The famous carp, Benson, is thought to have died from being egg-bound.

jw4Bassing
10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Hey, it's good ta see a post from u...haven't seen or heard from U in a while..

Nice work on them dam healthy bass : )

Gary

Thanks Gary...... And yeah, I don't post as often as I used to but just every now and then. BTW, do you know if the launch ramp at the "Lagoon" is shut down for construction and if it is, how long will it be before we can launch out of the newly extended ramp? Oh, also that is a very cool and funny looking "Avatar" you got there....lol.

Tight Lines....

JW

ToadsToadsOnly
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
OMG the potbelly on that bass is insane looks like you had a killer day out on the water as always JW

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks Gary...... And yeah, I don't post as often as I used to but just every now and then. BTW, do you know if the launch ramp at the "Lagoon" is shut down for construction and if it is, how long will it be before we can launch out of the newly extended ramp? Oh, also that is a very cool and funny looking "Avatar" you got there....lol.

Tight Lines....

JW

Yeah I don’t post much either in any regularity as dealing with the peanut gallery and sometimes child like attitudes online just simply takes away from the purity that fishing is for me : ( (sad).

But on the flip side of the coin we’re still out there fishing and doing what we love (Yeahhh !)

As for the Lagoon launch ramp, yes it’s closed and should be for some time longer, they are extending the ramp so your trailer no longer drops out off the end of the cement at the lower water levels, plus building a new dock, not certain which company is physically doing the work but we must all remind ourselves that this is a county lake and the county can be extremely slow in their processes (trust me I know).

I believe it is proposed to be closed till around the end of December but no date has been supplied to me, I’m sure that will all be determined by the completion of the project.

Just to be clear to anyone who reads this:
The Lagoon is OPEN but the launch ramp is closed.

Anyways, salute to ya’ buddy, keep on doing what you do, looks like that was a day to remember..

Keep on….Keeepin’ on !

Congrats !
Gary

P.S.

That Avatar is me in my twenties…I built that Halloween costume..

It really worked too, the reel would draw the rope (line) and I made a foil hook and my girlfriend was a mermaid so I wuz reeling her in !

I used the apparatus from a marching bands drummer to mount it on my torso

jw4Bassing
10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
As for the Lagoon launch ramp, yes it’s closed and should be for some time longer, I believe it is proposed to be closed till around the end of December but no date has been supplied to me, I’m sure that will all be determined by the completion of the project.

Thanks again Gary for your help and info.

Tight Lines....

JW

jw4Bassing
10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
OMG the potbelly on that bass is insane looks like you had a killer day out on the water as always JW

Thanks TTO and I wish the "PUDD" was like Perris so I can have more killer days. And It seems like I'm able to hook into about 4 to 5 times more bass out of Perris than the Pudd. My graph always lights up like a video game when I meter around. That lake right now is a very healthy fishery and has a tremendous forage base...... just absolutely amazing. I know you like to target the "TOAD" bass and you should give this lake a try someday.

Take Care & Tight Lines....

JW

Sublime-Steve
10-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Perris has some serious toads.. :EyePop:

pigdestroyer
10-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Hell yeah. Nice fish and report. Sounds like a great day. I haven't been out for the past few weekends and I am starting to go stir crazy.