PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for this boat?

fishmounter
10-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know what kind of trailer I need and where I can get one for this kind of boat? It's just an older 12 ft aluminum, that I car-topped, but I am thinking it would be easier for me to launch and store if I had it on a small trailer. Are those small trailer kits from Harbor Freight tools any good?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/boat.jpg

TheAsianGuy
10-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey Jeff, very nice little dingy. Perfect for cold season. Don't buy the trailer kit at Harbor Freight. Co-worker got one for his own hauling needs, and indicated the trailer kit caused too much swaying going beyond 55mph. Stay away from product made by Az-Tex trailer as well. Not creating issue with the manufacturer but I have plenty of proofs not to purchase trailers made by that company.

A trailer to haul that 12ft will cost around $250 to $400, depending on how much rig you want on that trailer (stabilizer bar, etc.). Check the boat-trailer company in Riverside call Elite Marine Inc. Very good company to deal with, and they'll probably get you a great deal with the trailer setup. Or, you can search Craigslist for a small trailer setup for cheap. Just make sure to check out the trailer carefully before purchasing. Let me know if you need help.

Leo

CraigH
10-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I've never seen the harbor freight trailers but two things any boat trailer needs are submersible lights and waterproof or marine grease in the bearings. If its really cheap it may not have either.

madmax951
10-25-2011, 03:23 AM
i got a harbor freight trailer but havent converted it for my boat, then again i have a fold-able Achilles inflatable dinghy.

for the price, harbor freight is a good deal specially if you get it on sale.

Only reason Asianguy's coworker says it sways is because the trailer wheels are only meant for top speed of 55mph (and the law says for autos towing not to exceed 55mph, i do 60 :Secret: ).Another reason for sway is improper weight distribution to the trailer axle. Out of experience, I think that most of the weight should be towards the front of the the trailer's axle thus pushing down on the tongue/ hitch (plus this tongue/hitch area will have minimal rattle noise). Few months ago, i hauled some long pieces of plywood where the weight distribution was more towards the rear of the trailer. The trailer sway very bad, made a lot of noise, and had to drive below 50mph for better control. I then just recently, extended the trailer size by 1.5'and was smart enough to shift the axle back to accommodate weight distribution. I eliminated any sway generated by my new configuration. And I plan to weld the trailer joints in the future for a more sturdy ride.

So, if you go the harbor freight way, make sure what ever modifications you do to take into consideration the weight distribution. Sway is just an indication that something is wrong with your weight distribution, speed, or modification.

try Craigslist before anything... save you some money and any assembly require by harbor freight kits. Good luck.

redondo todd
10-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I was thinking of using a single jet ski trailer to haul my 12 foot aluminum,but I don't know if the leaf springs would be too stiff for my boat and would pound the hell out of it ,Todd.

DockRat
10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
I was thinking of using a single jet ski trailer to haul my 12 foot aluminum, but I don't know if the leaf springs would be too stiff for my boat and would pound the hell out of it ,Todd.

The biggest problem you guys have is lack of weight.
If you trailer is too stiff with a light boat then you can remove some leaf springs or install less stiff ones. With the boat loaded for towing (motor, gas, gear ect) you should be able to push down on it and have some spring travel (suspension).

Call Long Beach Spring at PCH and Alameda, specialize in this.
My buddy took his old motor home front coil springs to them and they re-treated (stiffened) them for $130. They have a process with hot oil then cooling to adjust
spring tension. They also have piles of used springs (leaf and coil) if you need more or less tension.

Light boats are easy to pull (less power/fuel needed) but the down side is they bounce.

The only solution is to drive slow.
Trying to haul asss will only get you in trouble, freeway bumps or speed bumps you are going
to get air born. Lower tire pressure will help absorb bumps. Maybe 15 psi is better than 30 psi.
DR

DockRat
10-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Check out Vince's post on a long range tow with a 15' Aluminum boat to Baja.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?61126-Big-Roosterfish-Sea-of-Cortez-w-lots-o-pics

fishmounter
10-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I appreciate all the help guys. Maybe I should say that I will be just trailering this 12 footer only about 15 miles, to Lake Perris. It's not like a long haul, and I don't even have to drive on the freeway, but it would be quicker.

TheAsianGuy
10-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Then the cheapo at Freight Harbor is sufficient. Make sure not to drive on the freeway with that thing. Stay below 45mph while driving inside the city.

madmax951
10-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Then the cheapo at Freight Harbor is sufficient. Make sure not to drive on the freeway with that thing. Stay below 45mph while driving inside the city.

that's funny cause I have a harbor freight trailer and have gone 4 times to San Diego from Yucaipa @ 55 mph (sometimes 60) and haven't had issues with the cheap trailer bouncing all over the place. The specification on the HF trailers is not to exceed 55 mph do to the size of the tire. I always just make sure to grease up the hub bearings every time I go on long trips.

I do agree lack of weight could be a factor for excessive bounciness but have seldom had this issue.

I too bought the trailer mainly to go to Perris from Yucaipa, 18 miles away, but i have so much confidence on the trailer specially after I mod it to my needs, that I go anywhere with it now.

Don't be scare, just take the proper precautions for a safe trip.

DockRat
10-28-2011, 10:29 PM
that's funny cause I have a harbor freight trailer and have gone 4 times to San Diego from Yucaipa @ 55 mph (sometimes 60)

I too bought the trailer mainly to go to Perris from Yucaipa, 18 miles away, but i have so much confidence on the trailer specially after I mod it to my needs, that I go anywhere with it now.

SAFE TRIP ? LOL Your going 60 on the freeway to SD with 8" tires ? OMG :Rolls Eyes:

In my opinion I'd never buy a Chinese trailer with 8" tires unless
it was towed behind 5 mph lawn mower.

For the same price you could buy a used trailer with 13" tires on CL or even get
pop up tent trailer and chop it up and start building a custom rig with better axles, spindles, springs, better steel

You guys have too much faith in those Chinese spindles, bearings, 8" tires,
No fricken way I'd buy that crap for the freeway. 5 car pile up, people die. WTG

No Disrespect but Re-Evaluate 'Being Safe'.
DR

seance
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Fishmounter,
Check your PM's

seance
11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
If anyone is still looking for a trailer for their boat.

seance
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
If anyone is still looking for a trailer for their boat.
A friend of mine has a trailer that he had his 14' Jon boat on for $150, he might even take less. If anyone is interested you can PM me, thanks

Sparky70
11-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I wish I had a foldable Dinghy :Angry:

P.A.W.
11-12-2011, 06:38 AM
that's funny cause I have a harbor freight trailer and have gone 4 times to San Diego from Yucaipa @ 55 mph (sometimes 60) and haven't had issues with the cheap trailer bouncing all over the place. The specification on the HF trailers is not to exceed 55 mph do to the size of the tire. I always just make sure to grease up the hub bearings every time I go on long trips.

I do agree lack of weight could be a factor for excessive bounciness but have seldom had this issue.

I also got the HF trailer. Towed the thing up to the Sierras a bunch of times. Never a single issue. BTW there is enough room in the wheel well to get the next size up tire/wheel combo at Walmart if you want a better speed rating.

DockRat
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Here is a trailer, sell the boat then the trailer is cheaper or free.

14' aluminum boat with trailer - $300 (sfv)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/boa/2700654587.html
DR

Hometown
11-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I also have the HF trailer and it works for the short trip to Irvine But I have the 12 inch wheels
but I would look for a used galviniced trailer first