PDA

View Full Version : MWD won't let me BASS GUIDE/RENT BASS Boat! Need Help!!! Lawyers?

scott e
10-22-2011, 05:12 AM
I'm trying to start a bass guide/bareboat charter business on a lake in CA but the MWD:Spank: has told me flat out that even though they can't produce ANY document that shows there is an agreement with existing marinas:Death2Above: on the lake stating that marinas have the sole right to rent boats or have fishing guides, they will not issue me a business commerce permit.

The MWD general manager:Smash: told me it's cheaper to fight me (if I file a writ of mandate) than to fight the marinas who will sue MWD if they issue me one. It's a public lake, free launching at two public launch ramps. G.M. says I won't be permited to launch if I'm conducting business. I can meet all their requirements (Million dollar liability policy of insurance, CA fish and game guide license, and bonded). Is there an easier/cheaper/less time consuming way to get them to let me do business?

There is a couple that operates a hot dog cart at the launch ramps that were issued a permit to do so. Also, a group of off site kayak/canoe rental outfits won the right (short of litigation) to rent and deliver kayaks/canoes to above the waterline, but may not "launch" the vessels into the water for their customers, or conduct any on the water instruction or paddletours. The G.M.:Beat Stick: came out in the local paper 2 years ago and said business commerce permits would be available the following year, but these permits are not available.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Scott

Danny300
10-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Is it worth the headache and waste of time to do business at this lake?

scott e
10-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Is it worth the headache and waste of time to do business at this lake?

Sometimes I wonder... but, yes, it will be worth it!

smokehound
10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Do it on the DL. Screw those chumps.

scott e
10-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Do it on the DL. Screw those chumps.

Can't. I'm legit and follow the law (even though the MWD doesn't). Won't stoop to that level.

EndlessSeason
10-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Only in America, I am sorry to hear that and wish you the best. People make it so difficult to do things sometimes it is lame! Good luck

Coefficient13
10-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Get paid for the sight seeing/ photo taking/ snack you serve at noon/ instructing/ cpr lessons you give while on board and not fishing guiding itself.

Sell hot dogs to people you happen to be fishing with for 100 bucks a pop :)

pupfish
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Have you tried to set up some kind of partnership with any of the marinas. It seems like you are offering something different from the regular trout guide services that they have up there. Unless I'm wrong, aren't all the guide services up there trout only? If so, then you are offering them something unique that could bring more people to their marinas. Have you tried talking to captain John?

scott e
10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Have you tried to set up some kind of partnership with any of the marinas. It seems like you are offering something different from the regular trout guide services that they have up there. Unless I'm wrong, aren't all the guide services up there trout only? If so, then you are offering them something unique that could bring more people to their marinas. Have you tried talking to captain John?

I've approached 3 different marinas and two are "afraid" that my boat will make theirs look bad and one won't even let me present my business. Their resident trout guides are "afraid" i'll take "their" business even though I will not be guiding trout. Every fricken body up here is "afraid", so they don't want a guy like me to get even the smallest piece of the pie and will do everything in their power to keep me from it.

John Saunders marina is maybe my last hope, I really don't want to run out of fawnskin, but if I have to, I will. People don't want to drive 20 minutes to the other side of the lake.

smokehound
10-31-2011, 12:42 PM
I've approached 3 different marinas and two are "afraid" that my boat will make theirs look bad and one won't even let me present my business. Their resident trout guides are "afraid" i'll take "their" business even though I will not be guiding trout. Every fricken body up here is "afraid", so they don't want a guy like me to get even the smallest piece of the pie and will do everything in their power to keep me from it.

John Saunders marina is maybe my last hope, I really don't want to run out of fawnskin, but if I have to, I will. People don't want to drive 20 minutes to the other side of the lake.You should do it pro-bono for a while, and totally mess up their business. >=D No law against you helping people for free! HAHAHA