PDA

View Full Version : Kayaking Isabella 10/15/11

BuckBishop
10-21-2011, 09:33 AM
A buddy and I made the annual bass pilgrimage to Lake Isabella but this time we brought the kayaks.

The weather could not have been nicer for kayaking with mild to no winds “all day Saturday”… I know it’s hard to believe. Air temps in the low to mid 80s.

We launched out of French Gulch Marina on Saturday morning and fished the surrounding rock shoreline fishing jigs, swimbaits and wacky worms working towards the dam. After an hour of nothing, we paddled across to the steel structure at the base of the dam, zero. We paddled back along the dam rip rap, zero. So we thought that the bridge and surrounding rock walls North of the marina were worth trying so we paddled over there and fished it real hard with jigs until I found my first and only substantial bite in about 25 feet of water. It put up a great fight and made a couple nice drag pulling runs. On the digital scale it went 6.5#.

Sunday we launched North of Boulder Gulch to no wind conditions and paddled to a patch of small islands and began dragging the jig looking for deep rock piles. Both my buddy and I found bass and cat fish on jigs regularly enough to keep the morning interesting. Around 12:30 a wind developed and made it difficult to stay on point. We paddled to the patch of islands and disembarked to fish the island shoreline. While on the island Mr. Ranger stopped to ensure we had all our permits and licenses in order and we did, so he went about his business. Some kids had made their way out to the island and were flippin’ rocks looking for crawdads. I checked out their catch and low and behold, same color as our jigs.

All in all it was a fun, relaxing weekend and something that we will definitely do again.

mister c
10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Great Job out there! Izzy is one of my favorite lakes. Looks like Crappie Rock is way out of the water. The water must be way down. That's a nice looking Bass you're holding there. Congrats!

cmaster.

A buddy and I made the annual bass pilgrimage to Lake Isabella but this time we brought the kayaks.

The weather could not have been nicer for kayaking with mild to no winds “all day Saturday”… I know it’s hard to believe. Air temps in the low to mid 80s.

We launched out of French Gulch Marina on Saturday morning and fished the surrounding rock shoreline fishing jigs, swimbaits and wacky worms working towards the dam. After an hour of nothing, we paddled across to the steel structure at the base of the dam, zero. We paddled back along the dam rip rap, zero. So we thought that the bridge and surrounding rock walls North of the marina were worth trying so we paddled over there and fished it real hard with jigs until I found my first and only substantial bite in about 25 feet of water. It put up a great fight and made a couple nice drag pulling runs. On the digital scale it went 6.5#.

Sunday we launched North of Boulder Gulch to no wind conditions and paddled to a patch of small islands and began dragging the jig looking for deep rock piles. Both my buddy and I found bass and cat fish on jigs regularly enough to keep the morning interesting. Around 12:30 a wind developed and made it difficult to stay on point. We paddled to the patch of islands and disembarked to fish the island shoreline. While on the island Mr. Ranger stopped to ensure we had all our permits and licenses in order and we did, so he went about his business. Some kids had made their way out to the island and were flippin’ rocks looking for crawdads. I checked out their catch and low and behold, same color as our jigs.

All in all it was a fun, relaxing weekend and something that we will definitely do again.

Darius
10-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Is the yellow kayak a Scupper Pro with a front hatch?