PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Bass Bite! 10/19

scott e
10-20-2011, 03:51 AM
After finishing up the season in San Diego and a quick stop in Hemet for some bass and striper fishing, and a day to unwind, got out on the "home lake" with my bud yesterday. The fishing hasn't changed much, it's still VERY GOOD. Bottom baits were the mainstay and I will say that with temps in the high 20's in the morning it doesn't pay to get on the lake until 8 or so in the morning (ice on the docks and boat carpet).

The bite got better and better as the day rolled on, and the afternoon was ON FIRE! We boated over 50 (all Largemouth) with our best 5 going between 15 and 16 lbs. The afternoon was MUCH more productive (alot less short bites) and the fish for the most part are still on main lake structure, but some are moving back in the bays a bit (close, deepwater access is key when fishing bays). 0 topwater action, 0 crank action. I did fish the 5 1/2 inch flutter spoon a little on a couple key spots and managed this 3+ lb chunk!!!http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/otisbbl/bb%20spoon%20bass/flutterbass.jpg
Just goes to show that "thinking outside the box" can catch a nice fish now and again! We had fished a point early in the day that had fish on it but couldn't get a bite on the standards. Made a couple casts with the spoon to the key area on the point and was rewarded!

The trees are showing full autumn color and the daytime temps are close to 70 dgs with VERY LITTLE boat traffic. A great time to enjoy a day on Big Bear Lake. Scott

Fishbreath
10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Sounds like that would have been a great day on the water even without the fantastic fishing. I guess your little fishing buddy Joe was back in school.

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

etaggart
10-20-2011, 07:28 AM
The Professor has just schooled us!! Dang, Scott - incredible haul. Worked Windy Point for a few this past weekend and the Observatory for only a couple of babies. My friend Joe caught a number at the Observatory Saturday, but said it took a lot of work. Just goes to show you gotta do more than toss-out a plastic and pray. From what you're indicating I assume I'm working too shallow near shore and wasting time trying to pluck them out of the weed beds.

Scott: I'll be up this weekend - PM me if you think you may be on the water and where/when. We'll see if we can say Hey! and you can show-off your bass-master skills.

Cheers,

Eric

Cameron
10-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Nice report & great catch Scot. I am gonna be hittin the lake saturday for some trout im just not equipped for bass anymore.I sure enjoy ur pics & reports always good to get a locals point of view thanks for sharing.

etaggart
10-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Camerone - let me know if you'll be in the water (or shore-bound). Unless I change my mind, with new energy from Scott's post I'm thinking of working the Windy Point area again on Saturday.

scott e
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Fishbreath, my lil' buddy lives in Hemet and is in school. I've invited his dad and him to come up but his Dad runs the Bass Taxi so he's kinda "tied" to DVL everyday! I'm gonna try and get down there in a week or two and take the kid out again for a few hours after school. He and his old man are great people!!!