PDA

View Full Version : Battle in the surf

keepemlo
10-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Went to new spot ,only had enough quarters for 1 hour worth of fishing,just a scout so geared up and headed out.
Water:warm
Surf:rising 2ft ,not to much salad,clear in spots ,no baitfish sighted
Started of with blue lc ..no takers..drop shoted..still no interest .so I went to my old black anchovy I don't know why but I just have so much confidence in this bait it just looks good to me ,,heck I'd eat it ,,,started to look for trenches or structure and fishing sideways ,just going over stuff I've heard members say on the site ,after about 20 cast my lure just stops...and the beast just starts going straight out all I can do is hold my rod straight up thumb on the spool and wait..out he goes .now my heart is racing and I star going through what I call "the list" how old is this line?did I sharpen the hook ?
How did I tie this knot? Is my drag set?did I set the hook?...out he goes I wonder if he even knows he's hooked..imbstarting to get nervous now ..couldn't even turn him at least that way I could gain line..after what seemed an eternity he simply stops!..I must have looked insane just standing there holding my rod not moving..la le la la..just holding coulding move it..finally it came in about a foot!!,,just as I ha d a little relief just to show me out he goes again!,just heavy..finally it gives and I start the long process of pulling backward and walking forward and reeling in ..it's all new to me..anyway now all I want to do is see this fish..man he wore me out ..then I start thinking hey I gotta make sure I get my lc back too!!!i see the back of what turns out to be a huge 6ft guitarfish !!!!I time the wave grab his tail and for the first time use my pliers .he was my pb anyway and true to the creed he had to go back anyway..now that was fun!!!!!! Can't wait for the weekend I'm heading out in greylight!,tight lines,,,

Mr_Dunev
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, wish I could see a picture.

Good luck this weekend

SP Dan
10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Hey keepemlo,
Great report and fish!
SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
10-21-2011, 09:35 AM
That's a big fish with with an LC.
Great Job!
Robert
<><

Wingnut
10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
A 6ft Shovelnose is an absolute monster! :EyePop:
That's a rod breaker... nice job on landing it.
Got your PM, you are registered for the surf fishing event, see ya there. :Wink:

tree
10-22-2011, 04:19 PM
awesome! nice catch! 6ft anything is HUGE!