PDA

View Full Version : Suggested trout lures????

LGHT
10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
This is more or less my first year freshwater fishing and didn't do much trout fishing earlier this year, but I plan on doing a lot more since I also picked up a tube recently.

I just got 7-6' BPS micro light graphite ultra light fast action rod and will be using 4lb co-poly with a 2lb flouro leader.

Can anyone suggest a few good lures? I'll be fishing the float tube event at Laguna Niguel lake and you can only use lures so I need a few to try out.

1HR2BBL
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Here are a few of my favorites. I fish in the Eastern Sierra's more then So Cal lakes, but they should still be good choices:

Lip Ripper Z spoons (Siberian Tiger)
Thomas Buyoant (Red/Gold)
Rapala Countdown #5 (Rainbow and brook trout patterns)
Panther Martin PMRG (black w/ yellow spots/Gold blade) in size 2 and 4
Berkey Trout Teasers

Frequent Flyer
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
try some custom baits by local guys, great baits and guys...ill b at the event too so ill see u there
also jigs 1/32 oz and 1/12 oz kastmasters work well especially for larger fish the kastmasters do great

bigwillie909
10-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I like the Thomas Buoyants, and the good ol' Kastmaster. Can you use Trout Traps in the tourney?

Frequent Flyer
10-18-2011, 04:15 PM
everything barbless and no bait so yes trout traps are good

CraigH
10-18-2011, 04:16 PM
White Roster Tail spinner

IncredibleHuck
10-18-2011, 04:20 PM
This is more or less my first year freshwater fishing and didn't do much trout fishing earlier this year, but I plan on doing a lot more since I also picked up a tube recently.

I just got 7-6' BPS micro light graphite ultra light fast action rod and will be using 4lb co-poly with a 2lb flouro leader.

Can anyone suggest a few good lures? I'll be fishing the float tube event at Laguna Niguel lake and you can only use lures so I need a few to try out.

Try the Snot Rocket or Fruit Cocktail Lip Ripperz jigs. Perfect jig for LNL

LGHT
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the great feedback, i'll probably pick up a few of each and just work my way through them to see what works the best so when I go back and fish for keeps I hopefully can land some big fish.

billy b
10-19-2011, 07:27 AM
do y'all like 1/12 size better than the larger Kmasters?

5150fishn
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
The thomas bouyant in red and gold, rapala cd5 in fire tiger, and pink mirashads are my go to lures.

DarkShadow
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Ditto on the Thomas Booyahs.

Viejo
10-19-2011, 10:34 AM
SuperDupers worked 40 years ago and still work very well for trout.

bchbum54
10-19-2011, 10:46 AM
If you can't use dough bait...

Hard to beat good ole Power worms most of the time, but the Trout King worms I 've been using are outfishing the PW lately. Check them out the colors on the TK worms. They are unreal!!!

I like Thomas B., Kastmasters, Super Dupers, z spoons, Mira Shad, and x rap #4's for my hard baits

They hit crankbaits at Laguna at times, so you may want to throw some of those

billy b
10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
SuperDupers worked 40 years ago and still work very well for trout.

I can attest to at least 50-55 years ... I remember having contests and debates between Super Dupers and Phoebes. I seem to recall people saying, "If you don't have one or the other ... or both ... stay home"

Dr. MindBendo
10-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Dupers and Panther Martins are my faves.

reservoir dog
10-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Kastmasters and roostertails. I've seen trout chase after my roostertails and even had one jump out of the water towards me.

LGHT
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Kastmasters and roostertails. I've seen trout chase after my roostertails and even had one jump out of the water towards me.

hahah that's a pretty bold statment to say the trout almost jumped in the boat chasing your lure!!

Marley
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
The thomas bouyant in red and gold, rapala cd5 in fire tiger, and pink mirashads are my go to lures.

X2. Add in flame Mirashads and this is so deadly...also the white Rooster tail.

tacklejunkie
10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Can anyone suggest a few good lures?
Go trout fishing with these!
http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/BDBLP-FTT-1.jpg

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/CTTSB-BT-1.jpg
My two favorite trouts.

tacklejunkie
10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Oh!
You want to catch the actual trout?!
Then you need this.
Or if you're lucky you can con CD into tying you some ritzwings.
http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/flies/stimulator.jpg
lol those things make fish do cartwheels.
This specimen happens to be perfectly tied no less. Beautiful.

Marley
10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh!

http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/flies/stimulator.jpg

Beautiful.

The morsel lands without so much as a ripple and settles atop the tension that defines the eddy's surface. It rests but a moment as the downhill pull of the stream delivers its budding iciness to the meadows below, the rivulet performing its dance as it had for millennia.
Feeling an age-old tug, the tidbit slowly turns, ever caressing the water's invisible skin. And it joins the deliverance of summer's bounty parading through the slack water.
Wise old O. Mykiss saw the scene unfold as she had countless times prior, saw the dusting of seed and spore fall from the air and onto the rooftop of her lair. But wait! What’s this? “A more delectable specimen I have not yet seen until today!” thinks she as the winged wonder settles onto the water and begins its mating tease, that slow turn and slight wiggle, to float downstream that must quickly draw her a mate.
And with a move perfected with the practice of a million repetitions, she turns her powerful broom-like tail to the current and rises to the surface, devouring the unsuspecting creature in a cartwheel of sated glee.
Fresh One!!!

reservoir dog
10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
hahah that's a pretty bold statment to say the trout almost jumped in the boat chasing your lure!!

I was shore fishing...haha that's a pretty bold statement to assume I was on a boat...

EndlessSeason
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Here are a few of my favorites. I fish in the Eastern Sierra's more then So Cal lakes, but they should still be good choices:

Lip Ripper Z spoons (Siberian Tiger)
Thomas Buyoant (Red/Gold)
Rapala Countdown #5 (Rainbow and brook trout patterns)
Panther Martin PMRG (black w/ yellow spots/Gold blade) in size 2 and 4
Berkey Trout Teasers

Nice line up right there!