PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to give out the 411?

Fusionwerks
10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok, so here it goes...I've become desperate! I consider myself to be a pretty good fisherman, but for the life of me i CANNOT get on these stripers! I have tried for the past 4 weekends to get in on the bite with everyone else, but I cannot figure out what I'm doing different that keeps me skunked every weekend. Yesterday I was right in the middle of the wolf pack on the north side, and everyone on all sides of me was pulling them in 1 after another, and I'm left with nothing. I wasnt buying the "luck of the draw" BS anymore...something IS different!
I typically fish for LMB, but I enjoy the fight of the stripers and the tacos they become later. I have a hard time sitting there waiting for a fish, so I usually pull up anchor and chase the largies after about an hour. Then for some reason I feel compelled to go after the stripers again.
So, can someone please either publically or PM tell me the answers to these questions? That way I might figure out where I'm differing.

1. Bottom or suspended?
2. Line size? (Main/Leader)
3. What kind of setup? (Sliding egg sinker/weight, Bead, Swivel, leader length, hook size/style?)
4. Anchovies? Mackerel? Sardines?
5. Slack line or tight?
6. Any other suggestions?

Here is what I have been using (carolina rig with cut anchovies)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/fusionwerks/CarolinaRigcopy.jpg

Like I said, I usually just try to figure these things out on my own, but frustration has gotten the better of me. I know everyone has thier secrets and dont want to share, and thats fine, but I hope somebody can shed some light on this for me...after all there are too many stripers in DVL right? I just want to do my part thinning the herd.

ddoskocil
10-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll be out there Wednesday with some guys that have been on them. I'll let you know some secrets after that:)

ToonaTangler
10-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Last time I checked DVL doesnt stock Anchovies, Makeral, or Sardines in that lake but they do stock trout!!! Match the hatch and throw some trout baits, slow roll a huddleston on the suspended fish. I know some people bait and wait but that lake is not in my opinion a bait and wait lake.

NFCD I
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Here's what we've been doing at the buoy line. We ussually fly line with a chunk of FRESH SARDINE. When they're really on the chew, they hit it before it gets to the bottom. If that doen't work, we'll fish the FRESH SARDINE carolina rigged. I've used line as light as 4# FC and as heavy as 12# FC. Each day is a little different. If you don't get hit within 10-15 minutes, go to plan B. I believe the key is having fresh bait. Don't buy the freezer burned stuff they sell at Walmart.
I hope this helps.

dixoncider
10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
answer to your questions--my opinion nothing eles..there are plenty of ways to do it..
1. Bottom or suspended?---Both, suspended at the buoys bottom other spots
2. Line size? (Main/Leader)---6 pound all the way up to 25, bigger sinker or deeper fishing heavier line for me.
3. What kind of setup? (Sliding egg sinker/weight, Bead, Swivel, leader length, hook size/style?)- flyline or enough weight to get to the bottom..ie-1 or 2 ounces no sliding rig of any kind for me.
4. Anchovies? Mackerel? Sardines?--yes all of these, sardines I have had most luck with..both fresh and frozen..however I do get them alive and even my frozen ones were frozen quickly after they died..
5. Slack line or tight?- slack on flyline, ingear with sinker fishing deep
6. Any other suggestions?--I would suggest getting some fresh bait and fly-lining with a spinning reel with 6 pound or 8 pound' open bail.....with the rest of the fleet at first..
for what it worth..

ToadsToadsOnly
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Ok, so here it goes...I've become desperate! I consider myself to be a pretty good fisherman, but for the life of me i CANNOT get on these stripers! I have tried for the past 4 weekends to get in on the bite with everyone else, but I cannot figure out what I'm doing different that keeps me skunked every weekend. Yesterday I was right in the middle of the wolf pack on the north side, and everyone on all sides of me was pulling them in 1 after another, and I'm left with nothing. I wasnt buying the "luck of the draw" BS anymore...something IS different!
I typically fish for LMB, but I enjoy the fight of the stripers and the tacos they become later. I have a hard time sitting there waiting for a fish, so I usually pull up anchor and chase the largies after about an hour. Then for some reason I feel compelled to go after the stripers again.
So, can someone please either publically or PM tell me the answers to these questions? That way I might figure out where I'm differing.

1. Bottom or suspended?
2. Line size? (Main/Leader)
3. What kind of setup? (Sliding egg sinker/weight, Bead, Swivel, leader length, hook size/style?)
4. Anchovies? Mackerel? Sardines?
5. Slack line or tight?
6. Any other suggestions?

Here is what I have been using (carolina rig with cut anchovies)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/fusionwerks/CarolinaRigcopy.jpg

Like I said, I usually just try to figure these things out on my own, but frustration has gotten the better of me. I know everyone has thier secrets and dont want to share, and thats fine, but I hope somebody can shed some light on this for me...after all there are too many stripers in DVL right? I just want to do my part thinning the herd.

Think about chunking for tuna flyline your bait and feed line while it sinks once it sinks to the bottom if it ever make it reel it back up really slowly.

Hook larger mosquito hooks or smaller octopus hooks make sure they are very sharp hooks.

6-8lb flouro does make a difference.

Fresh Sardines...Fresh Sardines..Fresh Sardines ....

Slack line if flying tight line if fishing bottom.

6. If you still don't catch fish "Hire a Guide"

karlow
10-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Pisss
Been there done that and watched.
You are not in Pyramid or Castic lake anymore.
You need fresh bait unless it WFO.
The store bought stuff just does not seem to get her done at DVL!
The guys that are doing the real damage get their bait from the receiver not Wally world.
The Asian market stuff I picked up last week was not touched. The one week old receiver bait was good for a few shots at them. The guy with the fresh stuff had them going full speed at the BL.
We were just spectators. Light line will help as well.

KP

Fusionwerks
10-18-2011, 09:05 AM
thank you all for your responses...it looks like not only am i hunting stripers, im hunting fresh bait too...
got a suggestion on where, but its a drive out of my way. anyone know anywhere in OC? i was going to stop at a place in diamond bar calles H-Mart. its a japanese supermarket. they had a lot of fresh fish the time i stumbled upon it, but i wasnt in the market for the bait at the time, so i dont know if they had any sardines. gonna stop by on way home from work and check it out. i will let you guys know what i find. should i look for anything in particular that i should be wary of?

KingShad
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Everyone keeps saying "light line". I use 15-20lb and get limits baiting stripers. I really dont think this matters at DVL. MAybe at other lakes.