PDA

View Full Version : 10-15-11 Skinner

pescadormejor
10-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Quick background:
Have not fished Skinner in well over a decade.
Been hitting The Vine for the evening/night bite the last few times that I targeted the green variety.
Deciding to spend the day at Skinner on Saturday. My pops just strapped on a new 30hp Merc 4 stroke to his 13’ Whaler and wanted to get it wet and shake it down…

Got to the gate at about 6:15am and had to go through the whole inspection / sticker process. Had everything that we needed and were finally on the water at 7:00am.

Where to go?
Decided to head left from the ramp towards the dam and tucked in on the left side.(opposite side of the lake from the inlet) Seemed like a good to place to begin…

Saw a quick boil on our way there and stopped on it, chucked the spooks, poppers, and shallow running cranks on it for nada. Well, at least the lines were wet and we were on the hunt. Having not been there in so long made fishing the lake like it was new to us.

Pulled up to a fishy looking point and began to throw the blade, cranks, and flick shakes… Nothing exciting, and continued along.

Started seeing micro shad in the back of some of the deeper coves and noticed some nice areas to throw Kermit. Too bad my Kermit rod was sitting in the garage at home… Made a mental note to bring it next time. Oh Well!

Finally got a very little LMB to hit the blade. I think it was on a 3/8oz Revenge and the fish only was the size of my hand. Barely felt the tick and just continued my slow roll back to the boat and noticed a nicer model following all the way to the boat. Wish I could tell you that the bigger model hit it, but it did not. Nice to see that we were in the right area though.

Picked away a few smaller fish on the drop shot and it was noon by now, decided to meter around the inlet to see what the action looked like. Not much going so we continued down that side of the lake heading away from the dam. Pounded that shoreline and found our first productive pattern. Any area that contained rocks on the bank held the fish. The models started getting more respectable in size and were eating the Drop Shot pretty well. That continued steady as we worked down the line and pulled a few out at every rocky bank section.

Water was sitting around 68-70, sun was out in full bloom, and we got off the water around 5:30pm.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday with Pops. Had a few beers, told a few lies, and managed a pretty solid day of tugging at the Bass. Could be worse!

No pictures worth posting, just wanted to tell the quick story!
Any of you out there on Saturday?

Till next time!