PDA

View Full Version : First time kayak purchase

toofastq
10-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Hello,
Thanks for checking out my post. I have been searching for a kayak I can haul around myself. Mostly for harbor fishing around Seal Beach. I also have some young kids (4 and 6) and have to include them in some of my travels.
I have narrowed my search to the Cobra Escape. Anybody out there with some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines....

Darius
10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Haul your kids get something that is a tandem. I can only suggest what I have experience with and that is a Ocean Kayak Malibu tandem XL. It's abour 13' 4" long and weighs 50-60 lbs. If it weighs too much get a dolly for it and don't forget life jackets for your kidos.

Manuel
10-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I would agree with the tandem advice. You kids will only get bigger and they can certainly grow into the tandem.

You may want to cruise by the two yak dealers on PCH in Sunset Beach as it seems your in or close to Seal.
One is a Cobra dealer and the other was a Malibu Kayaks shop but, now sells different brands. Short of it, you can try right there before you buy and they used to sell the rental or demo fleet at the end of the season, whic is now. A buddy bought a used rental boat for pretty cheap.

Good luck.

Manuel

fishinone
10-26-2011, 08:08 PM
I've got a Ocean Kayak Malibu Two. It's wide and stable. My son isn't savy about things like keeping his balance and it works out just fine with him and me. There are three spots for sitting. It should work out well for two adults and a kid or two kids and an adult.

allIdoIsfish
10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I have a lightly used Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL (3 seater)with seats, anchor, dolly, two scotty rod holders and a bunch of other stuff. its ready to fish. PM me if you are interested. Yellow in color

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/tandems/malibu_two_xl.html

toofastq
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks fello FNNers,

I ended up purchasing a Cobra Explorer. Now I am waiting to test it out. Probably do a few solo runs before I have the kids get on.

Thanks for all the advice and help....
Hope to post some nice pics soon