PDA

View Full Version : Marley Does Corona (or, Troglodytes 'R'Us)

Marley
10-16-2011, 05:11 PM
It was 3:30 am and all I wanted to do was roll over and go back to sleep but I knew that if I did, I would never make it out fishing. I knew that there would be several possible posts for today :Wink: and the options ran through my mind as I listened to Pink Floyd’s The Wall (a staple and just about the perfect length for the drive and wait in line.) But as I drove and listened I also watched the outside temperature on the instrument panel and as the temperature actually dropped the farther east and south I went, I knew there would be only one post needed...
I started my day from my rental boat at the dam, anchored in 66-degree water and tossing my beloved half-crawler, this day fished 3 feet under a bobber. It did not take long for the first takedown and 20 minutes after that fish went into the basket I was cranking the cranker on my second Mt. Lassen rainbow of the morning. A short move into the War Zone and I quickly tagged the rest of my limit. Bought a second pass and returned to the area to find some friendly faces in float tubes (fun morning, boys!) I very quickly filled the second pass and was off the water by 10:45.
What worked for me today was nightcrawlers. Nine of my ten fish, and the one takedown I missed, came on ye olde garden hackle, the herbed wigglers (sans herb this day.) The other, and part of a double hookup, came on garlic Power Bait. I started the day fishing half crawlers three feet under a bobber and then switched to the Carolina-rigged blown half fished 18” up (the perfect presentation for trout, IMO.) The tubers were having a bit of difficulty today with the artificial, which hints that the water is still a bit warm for an all-out plastics bite. But with fish so willing to bite, it won’t take long for that to change.
The lake looks fantastic! Clean, greenish-white water in the wake behind the boat and a little duckweed at the dam speak of a lake that is happy. The water was 66 degrees at the dam at sunrise and you know it rose under the 93-degree noon sun but the fish did not seem to mind and were very willing to bite.
While a boat was nice to have today, people from shore caught a lot of fish. If you aren’t in the first ten or so cars to go through the gates and have a tried-and-true spot in mind, my guess is that you would not have done well today. I saw fish caught from the dam to the lower stairs but the best spot did not offer a lot of shoreline space to share. If you go, try and get a boat or float tube.
There has been some discussion about the lake’s “No Catch and Release” rule. Please, honor this rule and don’t do it. There were some guys releasing fish that would have put them way over their limits (they did not have second passes) and chose to release the extra fish. They left a dozen fish floating when they pulled off their spot. There are plenty of fish to catch, but not a single one to waste. What a shame those two maroons killed all those fish and left them floating.
Corona Lake is off to a great start that bodes well for a phenomenal season. Get out there, go early and go often!

edit: I did not tke my camera so no pics from me. However, I have it on good authority that there is video documentation somewhere out there...

Poxy Boggards
10-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Great read as always Marley. Nice double limit to start the season.

JAG107
10-16-2011, 08:58 PM
great report marley. thanks for the good observations and details! I also hate seeing floating fish of any kind

Adrian_trout_bass
10-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Marley

I thought the water was too warm for trout to survive????? :Secret::???:

Troutman65
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice going out there today Marley. Thanks for the report . I really hate when fisherman do the catch & release of the trout . They are not like Large Mouth Bass. They will die if not handled correctly and even if handled the right way they still die . Have fun catch your limit and if you want more then buy another limit pass . Only in a perfect world .

Marley
10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Marley

I thought the water was too warm for trout to survive????? :Secret::???:

(why is there no "stir the pot" emoticon?)

Well...
There's difference between simply surviving, surviving while being pressured (fished) heavily and thriving under that pressure as they do in the truly cold water that is still weeks away. My guess is that when all was said and done, the week between that first plant and the big plant last week offered a hint that the water was too warm. The type of bite we had Sunday (almost all bait, talent having trouble with plastics) and the way those C&R fish rolled indicated that the water was barely cool enough this weekend. It was not cold. Those who know for sure won't be telling and have neither reason nor obligation to tell.
But did anyone notice the lack of posts on the board until this subject came up? If nothing else it brought a lot of people out of their summer shells, got the juices flowing and hopefully put more than a few more rods ont eh water this weekend. I know that's what it did to me, anyway!

JohnnyBoy
10-17-2011, 12:59 PM
(why is there no "stir the pot" emoticon?)

Well...
There's difference between simply surviving, surviving while being pressured (fished) heavily and thriving under that pressure as they do in the truly cold water that is still weeks away. My guess is that when all was said and done, the week between that first plant and the big plant last week offered a hint that the water was too warm. The type of bite we had Sunday (almost all bait, talent having trouble with plastics) and the way those C&R fish rolled indicated that the water was barely cool enough this weekend. It was not cold. Those who know for sure won't be telling and have neither reason nor obligation to tell.
But did anyone notice the lack of posts on the board until this subject came up? If nothing else it brought a lot of people out of their summer shells, got the juices flowing and hopefully put more than a few more rods ont eh water this weekend. I know that's what it did to me, anyway!

Marley

It was great to finally meet you. Now we can heckle each other as real friends and have a fun time with it. Marley you killed it, and damn it, I used to love the garden hackle myself. The all around bait. You never know what your doing to get but it's going to be good.

Anyhow, I thought the boiling fish didn't mind biting your bait now did they. They should boil more often as well as you did. Good job, and great report. If you send me an private IM with your email, I'll send you the pics I took of your great catch. Or maybe someone can teach me how to EASILY load these damn pics.

white belt
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Marley

It was great to finally meet you. Now we can heckle each other as real friends and have a fun time with it. Marley you killed it, and damn it, I used to love the garden hackle myself. The all around bait. You never know what your doing to get but it's going to be good.

Anyhow, I thought the boiling fish didn't mind biting your bait now did they. They should boil more often as well as you did. Good job, and great report. If you send me an private IM with your email, I'll send you the pics I took of your great catch. Or maybe someone can teach me how to EASILY load these damn pics.

upload them to tinypic.com

post the url between two image codes [i m g] [/i m g] (without the spaces)
tinypic actually automatically does it for you. just copy and paste whatever they tell you to haha

seal
10-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Congratulations sounds like you had a rewarding day out there!

I did drive by Corona this morning on the way back from San Diego (and on the way to BPS to buy a kayak!) and noticed everybody over by the dam in boats, gee must be cooler water over there, hee hee.

I was thinking about the water temp when you mentioned all the floaters after caught and released, the health of the fish is just not going to be there when caught in that warm of water, how many times have I heard people say not to mess with trout in creeks/rivers when it's too warm they'll go belly up.

But that being said that's the last thing I'll ever say about warm water because we know there is no middle ground, seems your either a "HATER" or you drink the coolaid nothing in between these days.

JohnnyBoy
10-17-2011, 07:57 PM
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/pickleboy714/corona%20lake%2012-16-2011/?albumview=slideshow

Marley here is the slideshow with the picture of you. Go to my post to see yourself on video. It's about half way down.

sapdawg11
10-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Nice work Marley and thanks for the report! The crew told me you guys had quite a good time hootin' and hollerin'!! Wish I could have been there to be a part of it!!!

Marley
10-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Marley

Great to meet you, too. What a fun morning, can't wait for next time!

Marley
10-17-2011, 10:44 PM
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/pickleboy714/corona%20lake%2012-16-2011/?albumview=slideshow

Marley here is the slideshow with the picture of you. Go to my post to see yourself on video. It's about half way down.

Cool. Thanks!

Troutman65
10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I really don't think the water is to warm right now .The trout were biting like crazy and were active . Nice looking trout .Did not seem to me that they were stressing over warm water. They were just fine .

Marley
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice work Marley and thanks for the report! The crew told me you guys had quite a good time hootin' and hollerin'!! Wish I could have been there to be a part of it!!!

That was a good time, for sure. Can't really say that "no trout were harmed in the making of this video" because they actually tasted really good! I thought for sure you would be there, was looking forward to meeting you in person. Next time!