PDA

View Full Version : Skinner stripefest 10/16

P.A.W.
10-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey guys this is a striper only report since I left the water early today. Boils were very rare this morning and I did manage one topwater fish just about 7:00 am. I puttered around and decided to start around ramp #2 and trolled the U-rig all along the south shore to the bouy line. Managed one fish about mid way to the bouys. As I trolled along the bouy line I was metering big schools suspended between 45-60' deep in 70 feet of water. Sooooo I dropped my downrigger and started trolling the u-rig at 50'. BINGO!!!!! It was on!. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. Guys, I literally had 2 double hookups on the rig in a 15 minute span. Limited out by 9:30 am. All I can say is thanks Trout Only :UDaMan: for showing me how to troll this rig. True, it isn't as much fun as a top water boil, but for putting fish in the boat it sure does the job.

Tight lines

GdHkSet1
10-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Nice report Pat,
Way to drop that rig down deeper and pick-em off....take care

Dr. MindBendo
10-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Nice Job PAW. The suspense is killing me. I need to get out there with you soon! lol

TroutOnly
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
U-rigs off the downrigger thats cool patrick,i love seeing that loaded rod pop off the line clip and the fight start,the d/r makes it so easy to put youre offering right in front of mr stripey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

P.A.W.
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
One problem I'm having Bob, Setting the line so it WILL come unclipped with a 1-3lber on there. Too tight and it won't let go, too loose and the drag of the u-rig will pull it out. I'm using the rubber pad version that came with my Cannon.

JAG107
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
One problem I'm having Bob, Setting the line so it WILL come unclipped with a 1-3lber on there. Too tight and it won't let go, too loose and the drag of the u-rig will pull it out. I'm using the rubber pad version that came with my Cannon.

That one pisses me off too. I'll drag around a pounder forever til I decide to check my line. I like the adjustable red clip that comes on the shasta tackles shuttle hawk (which is a really cool device of its own). You turn a screw to put the tension however you want it. With that cannon rubber clip, I find myself always needing to put the line all the way to the back, which takes a 2 or 3 pound fish or a really frisky 1 lber to yank it free.
I'm gonna try to get out there Sunday, see you there?

P.A.W.
10-19-2011, 06:00 PM
I sure intend to be there both days, Saturday and Sunday.

GdHkSet1
10-20-2011, 12:18 PM

I have been using the OffShore Tackle Line releases at DV, they are built pretty good and come in 3 different tensions 9.99-13.99 last chance carries them. I have not had issues with those, the rubber pad tension is GTG with the smaller schoolies like skinner has.