PDA

View Full Version : Well Worth The Drive - Corona Lake 10/15/2011

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 09:52 PM
You all know that feeling, the excitement that overtakes you as you prepare your weapons for the upcoming battle. Rods and reels cleaned and lubed, fresh 4lb PLine applied, lonely tackle packs emptied sorted then resupplied with the latest purchases. I stayed up late in hopes that being very tired before going to bed would help me skip over the inevitable insomnia that occurs each year at the beginning of the trout season. I got into bed but the visions of drag pulling runs still managed to keep me from sleep for quite some time.

The alarm clock sounded more like a war hymn as I woke up and made my final battle preparations, ice in the cooler, PB&J made and bagged, camera in pocket. Arrived at Corona Lake at roughly 6:45 and the line of soldiers had already made their way onto the battle field (no line), and the sun was just starting to light up the morning sky. The morning was cooler than expected with a fairly heavy overcast. Poised to do battle I pulled out the Heavy Artillery.
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/wnwrigh/DSCN2445.jpg

The guy on the shore right in front of me must have pulled in 4 or five fish in the ten minutes it took me to prepare my tube and put on my waders. These were all healthy specimens, nothing less than 2 pounds and they had quite a bit of fight. I knew this was going to be a good day!

I started off with a half crawler on the bait rod and a wacky rigged chartreuse Trout King worm on the jigging rod. I caught a fish on both presentations within about 15 minutes after launching the tube. This was how it went pretty much all day; the fish were on the chew. I fished the stretch between the fence by the damn to the courtesy doc for a few hours, and managed a limit easily. I’d say the largest went around 3 ½ pounds. The bite was hot until about 11, then slowed down but was still steady until I left the lake at around 1:30.
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/wnwrigh/DSCN2447.jpg

Below is a picture of the Arsenal, and the power mouse color combo that I killed it on today. This is a Corona Lake Special worm from Trout King (Yellow/White/with Red Flake) matched up with a white power egg. I was using the new Bite On Roe with the power mouse, and the fish could not resist.
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/wnwrigh/DSCN2446.jpg
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/wnwrigh/DSCN2448.jpg

Pulling on these hard fighting Sierra bows was outstanding, and well worth the drive out to Corona. A Big thanks to the Corona team for an excellent day of fishing. This is just the start of a hair rising, spine tingling, drag pulling trout season. Get out there and get some trout!
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/wnwrigh/DSCN2449.jpg

rabbit77
10-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Great report I'm excited to float tube there cant wait.

angelsfan951
10-15-2011, 10:17 PM
good job out there ill b on the shore tomorrow hopefully i have some luck and get on the trout also

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Green dough bait and power mouse about 30 or 40 feet out, and you should do just fine. Try to get a spot anywhere from the stocking tube to the dam. People on shore who got there early did very well.

angelsfan951
10-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Green dough bait and power mouse about 30 or 40 feet out, and you should do just fine. Try to get a spot anywhere from the stocking tube to the dam. People on shore who got there early did very well.

thanx u sir and i hope on getting there at opening so hopeful my chances are good

Daryl
10-15-2011, 10:33 PM
thanx u sir and i hope on getting there at opening so hopeful my chances are good

You'll want to be in line by 5am at the latest if you're fishing from shore.

Daryl
10-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I knew it! Nice job! Did you throw any of those new Trout King jigs? I'm dying to work the fire tiger pattern. Enjoy it while you can, pretty soon you'll be like me with soccer games and baseball games encroaching on your weekends. 3 more week before the season is over.

BTW, how did you like those Trout King worms compared to our usual plastics?

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 10:45 PM
You'll want to be in line by 5am at the latest if you're fishing from shore.

Quoted for truth, get out there early if your fishing from shore.

seal
10-15-2011, 10:50 PM
I think it's too hot.

Nice colors on those trout!

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I knew it! Nice job! Did you throw any of those new Trout King jigs? I'm dying to work the fire tiger pattern. Enjoy it while you can, pretty soon you'll be like me with soccer games and baseball games encroaching on your weekends. 3 more week before the season is over.

BTW, how did you like those Trout King worms compared to our usual plastics?

Yes I did try the new jigs and I got one on the firetiger with a white tail.

Shoot, trout season isn't over until the trucks stop showing up...I'll take days off to fish if needs be

The worms work really well, and the colors are awesome. The only negative is that the worms don't float quite as well as the norm.

jrockn
10-15-2011, 10:59 PM
nice! when are they stocking agian? I want to gou there around 10/26 if I don't go to big bear. What do u think? I'm itching for trout. :D

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 11:01 PM
I think it's too hot.

Nice colors on those trout!

LOL, they sure were fiesty, and really pretty. Great quality for an early season stocking. Even saw a few in the 4 to 5 pound class caught today.

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 11:02 PM
nice! when are they stocking agian? I want to gou there around 10/26 if I don't go to big bear. What do u think? I'm itching for trout. :D

I'd guess next Thursday, and I for one am hoping for some Tail Walkers! I'd hit Corona in a heartbeat, the fishing is only going to get better.

Daryl
10-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm going to hit it next Friday or Saturday. It's been at least 2 weeks since I've hooked a fish and I'm starting to get the shakes...

We need a crew name. I've been around for a while and I've seen the NBU, Bad Boys of FNN, SWAT, Pirate Crew, Inflatable Navy, and several others.

Then again, as my buddy GM said: "I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members"

Troutman65
10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice going out there Wes !:Envious: Thanks for the report

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Nice going out there Wes !:Envious: Thanks for the report

Thanks Patrick!

Poxy Boggards
10-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm going to hit it next Friday or Saturday. It's been at least 2 weeks since I've hooked a fish and I'm starting to get the shakes...

We need a crew name. I've been around for a while and I've seen the NBU, Bad Boys of FNN, SWAT, Pirate Crew, Inflatable Navy, and several others.

Then again, as my buddy GM said: "I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members"

How about "Drag Addiction or Tube Masters", wait that's a different type of crew...

Urban Legend
10-16-2011, 08:56 AM
The firetiger trout king jig is awesome. I used it at other lakes and it works well. I tried it on Fri at Corona and got a few bumps, they preferred the chartreuse so I stuck with it. They said they are stocking Sierra Bows again on Thu. Tailwalkers and such will come later in the season! Good Job Poxy!

Rooster
10-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Great report Poxy, Ya got me fired up now... Hope 2 cya out there

troutdog
10-16-2011, 09:42 AM
You know it must be trout season when Rooster starts posting up on FNN....wait, wait, wait it is waaaay too hot for trout fishing at Corona, I read right here on this website! :LOL:

EXCELLENT report Wes, you and the Bite On crushed it!

TD

Poxy Boggards
10-16-2011, 10:42 AM
The firetiger trout king jig is awesome. I used it at other lakes and it works well. I tried it on Fri at Corona and got a few bumps, they preferred the chartreuse so I stuck with it. They said they are stocking Sierra Bows again on Thu. Tailwalkers and such will come later in the season! Good Job Poxy!

Thanks UL!

Poxy Boggards
10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Great report Poxy, Ya got me fired up now... Hope 2 cya out there

What's up Rooster! We've got to get our revenge on the Irvine Lake trout this season. We should pair up for a tourney sometime.

Poxy Boggards
10-16-2011, 10:45 AM
You know it must be trout season when Rooster starts posting up on FNN....wait, wait, wait it is waaaay too hot for trout fishing at Corona, I read right here on this website! :LOL:

EXCELLENT report Wes, you and the Bite On crushed it!

TD

Thanks Troutdog. Great things are in store for this season, can't wait until it gets into full swing.

sapdawg11
10-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Awesome work and awesome report!! Killin' it (like usual) early POX!!! Looking forward to crossing paths out there this season. You heading out next weekend? If so, I'll just follow you! ;)

The trout king stuff looks insane this season. There are some colors that make me want to eat the stupid things. They are soft which means going through more worms but, what you lose in durability seems to be gained in action and lengthening fish hold time. Stoked to see these out there. Awesome tools to add to the quiver.

And as far as a group name...I know a few guys were hinting at "Inflatable Navy Seal Team 6" for their group of guys and getting some shirts made up with "Trout Bin Laden" in the crosshairs. I have yet to see these made up but about fell over laughing when they told me about it.

the killa fish taco
10-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Nice report Wes. Cant wait to get out there. Looks like the Bite On and the Trout King set-ups are working well! Which Bite On do you think worked the best for you?

Poxy Boggards
10-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Awesome work and awesome report!! Killin' it (like usual) early POX!!! Looking forward to crossing paths out there this season. You heading out next weekend? If so, I'll just follow you! ;)

The trout king stuff looks insane this season. There are some colors that make me want to eat the stupid things. They are soft which means going through more worms but, what you lose in durability seems to be gained in action and lengthening fish hold time. Stoked to see these out there. Awesome tools to add to the quiver.

And as far as a group name...I know a few guys were hinting at "Inflatable Navy Seal Team 6" for their group of guys and getting some shirts made up with "Trout Bin Laden" in the crosshairs. I have yet to see these made up but about fell over laughing when they told me about it.

LOL, that I have to see...

The Trout King plastics are really nice, I can't say enough about the color combinations. They worked really well this past weekend and are quickly earning a permanent spot in the tackle bag.

I am sure that we will cross wakes this season, I'm going to try to fish as often as possible the next few weeks as My wife is a few weeks behind yours with our first. I'll probably find a way to sneak out there next weekend, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Poxy Boggards
10-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Nice report Wes. Cant wait to get out there. Looks like the Bite On and the Trout King set-ups are working well! Which Bite On do you think worked the best for you?

Thanks Aaron. They certainly did, I'd say that the Bite On Roe worked the best, but the Garlic was a very close second.