PDA

View Full Version : Perris 10-15 Ultra Light mayhem

TheAsianGuy
10-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I've used heavy, medium, and light. But micro and ultra light..man, you cannot believe how fun it is until you try it. Thanks Jeff and Anthony for make a believer out of me.

6:25am - Launched from Bernasconi Ramp. Got there a bit late because I got get some last second crickets at the bait shop. Love that woman at the bait shop on Perris Blvd. Such a doll to help out a guy that lost his cricket containment wall. She rigged a paper bag lid that kept them at bay, even when she was half asleep :LOL:

Air temp: surprising 68°F at 6:25am. 72°F until 9:28am. 89°F for the rest of the noon hours.
Water temp down to 4 feet: 66°F at 6:25am. 69°F until 9:28am. 75°F for the rest of the noon hours.
Water level: raised by 2 feet since 10/11.
Wind condition: light, 5mph northeast to southwest.

10 minutes on the water, I was greeted by KonaCrush, and met up with BassSniper at the ramp during deployment. Can't believe he rigged his Fish Cat 3 rods set up just the night before. Way to go! Very sturdy design.

25 minutes on the water, light actions with basses no more than 3lbs. Jeff, you're not kidding when you say it takes a long time to haul something large in on the micro/ultra light setup. DANG!!! 3 basses, dinks, less than 14 inches hammered my YoZuri snap bean and the crappie jigs with redworms, while skipping the water. HUH?! Switched out the worms with crickets, WHAM some more. Those ultra light rods bent like crazy. Twice, the line snapped from the violent jerks either by gills or basses, loosing my jigs. Plenty more of those. You ain't kidding about that too Jeff. A 13 inch, 2.2lbs took my snap bean and jolted. Took nearly 7 minutes hauling that puppy in. I have the video, but all I recorded was my hands bouncing everywhere.

Fog bank rolled in around 7am, and covered the entire west and south side for a good 35 minutes. FISH ON!! Lost 3 hooksets as I learned to adjust to the ultra light hauling. In less than 15 minutes, 5 solid hooksets for gills, 3 solids for basses. Again, all dinks less than 8 inches. Two other tubers nailed a nice 5lbs and a few 3lbs, and they let out some major victory shouts. Sun came out, and the bite just stop. HEH?!

Went towards the outlet tower, and it's not operating. Schools of LARGE fishes lurked below. No bites. Four boat before I came abandoned hope for catching anything. I hope to snag a cat or carp there, maybe a few gills. No love. Robert (not you Lefty) and his friend came by, and no love for them too.

On the way back to the ramp, snagged a few gills from the schools, but all juveniles.

10:38am, full sun blaring, and met up with KonaCrush and BassSniper again. Asked them to come with me to the island. Tossed two lines to attach them to my toon, and perform a taxi service to tire reef and secret spots. Plenty of schools, but no bite, no love. We should have fan out to do some scout and attack, but we were all limited on time. Got to head back to get ready my baby boy's b-day party.

End of day result:
12 basses actions, all less than 15", and 3lbs or less.
Lost count with gill's actions. Kept 9 between 9 to 10 inches. Heaviest was 1.1lbs, in a nice chilled cooler, sitting next to the indoor worm farm, ready to be turned into tomorrow's fish tacos.

Photos: http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/elusor/Perris%202011_10-15/
- Sorry BassSniper. Your photos were messed up by the sun glare.

fish-o-haulic
10-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Looks like you got the place wire leo, good job out there. should be headed out there sometime next year.

Konacrush
10-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I had fun casting my new blue fox spinner lure bass a gills hammered it along the weed line. The fog rolling in over the dam was a cool site on the lake I'll be out there bite and early tomorrow. HAPPY B-DAY TO YOUR BOY LEO

SirBluegill
10-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Glad you had fun with ultra light fishing, it makes any size fish feel like a monster and makes it more fun. What pound test are you using? I have 4lb test and never had it snapped unless I tie a bad knot or get snagged on something. Now 2lb test on the other had don't know about that...

fishmounter
10-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Anthony, that's all I use is 2 lb. I don't think I have ever had a fish break my line there at LP. I've had knots slip through the eye of hooks that are not closed all the way and have had to break my line on snags, but I can't remember having a large fish break my line....

Natural Lefty
10-15-2011, 08:18 PM
So I went yesterday, and you went today. Good job on the fishies, Leo.

Jeff, when I hook a larger fish on 2 pound line, it is quite common for them to get into snags and end up breaking off, but sometimes I get them in.

TheAsianGuy
10-15-2011, 10:00 PM
I had fun casting my new blue fox spinner lure bass a gills hammered it along the weed line. The fog rolling in over the dam was a cool site on the lake I'll be out there bite and early tomorrow. HAPPY B-DAY TO YOUR BOY LEO

Thanks Kona. He had quite a bit of fun at the Johnny's Incredible Pizza. I was incredibly tired afterwards..hahahaha.

Glad you had fun with ultra light fishing, it makes any size fish feel like a monster and makes it more fun. What pound test are you using? I have 4lb test and never had it snapped unless I tie a bad knot or get snagged on something. Now 2lb test on the other had don't know about that...

I'm using 2lbs test (braided, Power brand). 2lbs flouro from Berkeley. I even tried testing a 2lbs weight, jiggled-jiggle-casted, and nothing. The fishes, what ever steroids they were on, hauled butts on the line once they got hookseted and SNAPPED.

Anthony, that's all I use is 2 lb. I don't think I have ever had a fish break my line there at LP. I've had knots slip through the eye of hooks that are not closed all the way and have had to break my line on snags, but I can't remember having a large fish break my line....

Jeff, not sure what went wrong. Could be a kink in the flouro? Could be a bad knot on the jig? Not sure. Still am learning about the unique level of the ultra light. Loving it! It makes the 1.1lbs gills feel like a 5lbs bass on the medium gears and lines.

bassgrabber1
10-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Nice bag Leo......as for me using that ultra light stuff well I guess I am a puss because I dont use anything less than 8lbs test.

fishmounter
10-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Leo- Do you have your drag set lightly? You can always tighten it up slightly when the fish tire out some, but that initial fast run they make when you set the hook, that is the crucial time to have a fairly loose drag setting on your reel. Big Redears are known for this drag screaming run.

TheAsianGuy
10-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Jeff, I did for one rod, and accidentally didn't set the drag light enough for the other. The one that has the light drag on, the gear just click-click-click-zippppppp away, and next I know it, 50ft of line was gone. The other, well..some of the flouro leader (4' out of 8') snapped. Found the issue that the flouro leader had a small weak spot from the rubbing against the metal frame on the toon. The same leader snapped a few times until I changed it out later that morning.

fishmounter
10-16-2011, 07:25 PM
No, I don't like flourocarbon line. Too stiff and brittle. Gets nicks in it too easily. Hybrid flouro/mono is fine. Why don't you just use straight mono? And there's no need for any leader. Just tie directly to your hook or lure.

vortec_cruiser
10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
10:38am, full sun blaring, and met up with KonaCrush and BassSniper again. Asked them to come with me to the island. Tossed two lines to attach them to my toon, and perform a taxi service to tire reef and secret spots.

Nice job on the catches. Do you have a pontoon with a trolling motor?

TheAsianGuy
10-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Tried straight mono, 4 to 6lbs, and didn't land much. Switched to flouro leaders, and did much better. Can't stand using flouro in the entire reel. So freaking stiff. I still have plenty of flouro left in the spools, and will use it all up before switching over the Hybrid. I noticed that basses hammer the lines 3-to-1 over just mono alone. Flouro alone is just plain crazy to deal with. If I don't put a bit of pressure while reeling in the line, it creates loose tangles, similar to the braid line issue. At least the braid doesn't create that issue often.

TheAsianGuy
10-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Nice job on the catches. Do you have a pontoon with a trolling motor?

Sure do. 55lbs thurst motor, but didn't know I was going to meet two FNNers at the site. If I know, I would have haul that extra 100lbs of gears with me :Wink: I have no problem hauling them. Good exercise for me. I can row around the lake all day without burning out. But, two attached to the toon, well, I go from skimming the water to crawling :LOL: