PDA

View Full Version : Which nets do you guys like best?

Kevman
10-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I hooped with my dad for about 10 years, but back in the day we only had the flat nets. Now I see that ProMar alone has two kinds of conical nets, which I assume are better for keeping the bugs in.

What is the difference between the "Eclipse" nets and the "Ambush" nets? It looks like the Eclipse ones can fold flat, but the Ambush ones look like they might be stronger. Which kind of nets do you guys like best, and why?

TIA,
Kev

Bowlfrogg
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
i use all three.. Love umm all!!

DockRat
10-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Danielson, pass on the folding ones, simpler is better.
Many reasons on the www.
I'm not going to get into it why the many top veteran hoopers prefer them.
There is a big learning curve to hooping, tides, moon, current, bait, locations, depths, weather,
weights, rope diameter, floats, net layout distance, pullers ect.

I made my own custom DR conical nets using a 32" flat net with taller 9" legs and smaller side net webbing.
They all have to be re-rigged now due to new DFG Regs. :Rolls Eyes:

Built a custom puller for the boat too. Bent 1 1/2" electrical conduit, slips perfectly into the 45 degree rear facing (re-enforced) rod holder. It comes out of the rod holder 1' then has a welded angle leg with a stainless saddle and thin rubber to prevent scratches. This keeps the puller from turning.
Then it goes up about 1 1/2' up with a 30 degree upwards bend, then about 1 1/2' more to a 90 degree elbow bend outwards horizontal about 1 1/2'. A stainless eye bolt opened then welded with 3 links of chain (for rope angle, swivel) to a used stainless modified sailboat pulley. Had to modify the pulley, cut a slot on one side to put the rope in, welded it to add strength.

All boats are different, side rail height, rod holder, locations ect. Custom is best.

The best puller is one that person is pulling at or just above waist level (less back pain), and so the net clears the boat (damage, scratching, rubbing).

Spent over 30 hours into making/modifying this gear,
I love building stuff and re-designing the wheel.

Haven't hooped this year (yet) and didn't hoop last year.
Cheap flat nets work too. A buddy in Pedro only uses them and has caught bugs
for 20 years with flat ones. He gave me a Danielson because it doesn't lay flat and stack
with the rest of his. He only hoops/dives lobster a couple times a year. Luck helps too.
Even newbs can get a limit or multiple days of skunks.

There is not much science on when or why they crawl, travel miles, go shallow or deep.
Got my 1st bug in 1977 (dive) and still trying to figure out the inside of the mind of lobsters.
Only hooped a few years and am still learning.

Good luck and be safe.
DR

Kevman
10-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! I'm gonna do a lot of my hoopin' on my 10' RIB so I decided to go old school with the flat nets. Take up less space, lighter, easier to pull, and got a whale of a deal on 3 of 'em. If a couple bugs jump out, that's why they call it fishing and not CATCHING! lol

Kev

hektic77
10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
I have been hoopin for many years now and to tell you the truth I prefur the flat 36" hoops over any of the conicals...I have them all but tend to catch more keeper/quality bugs in the 36" flat nets than the others...In fact I lost a net last season and replaced it this year with the new ambush conical net and have not caught oine damn thing in the ambush...not even a crab. last trip out was just a short night and pulled two strings but came up with 4 nice keepers all in the 36" nets. One at 10.5 lbs. that I don't think would have fit in the conical nets.