PDA

View Full Version : Local 10 / 12 Moo-moo Rockfishing Trip w/pics

JapanRon
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1012ezine11P1B.jpg http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1012ezine11P2B.jpg

Hooked Up
10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the report JR. I noticed there was not 1 single "surface" or pelagic fish caught. And not even 1 CB/SB/or mack. I know this was a bottom fishing trip but I was wondering if it was the squid invasion or the water temp that made for a so-so trip? Probably both. I see the 3 rigs in one of the pics. Did you guys fish the 150? From your report and the depths you fished it does seem like the Capt. was really trying to find a good spot. 1 question. Do you Really ONLY fish plastics? lol I "cheat" and use whatever is working best! :)

JapanRon
10-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi Hooked Up,

Thanks. Firstly .....My one sqawk regarding reports / replies does not pertain to FNN. This site has been the most friendly, community-conscious among the 6 boards I used to post reports.

That said ..... I think we were a little west of the 150 and 95% of the time in 180+ feet water. Not a single fish caught above 150 feet or so !! Serious !

Yes, plastic ONLY (no nothing) with the conditions I state in my little bunch of icons including not moving around the boat. I used to get skunked in the Winter all the time ... as readers will remember. Now, I've seemed to be fortunate to have learned a few little tricks that get me a few fish every trip .... and even at the 250 feet depths !! It would be cool if some day I could catch fish on plastic ONLY any time, any where and even outfish the bait slingers / soakers !! Now that would be funny !!

In the old, old days .... I knew 70 and 80 year olds that could outfish everybody with just what was called 'jap' feathers (ya ya politically incorrect but ....)! Thats the chrome leadhead with multicolored feathers and usually big red glass eyes.

Each to his own .... cheat away my friend !!

JapanRon

Jig-Guy
10-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Ron, Jap feathers worked great in the summer of 1956 when I worked on a jig boat off San Diego and Mexico. We also used the bone jig for many fish, your right I am 70! Today we should call the jigs Japanese Feather Jigs so we do not make anyone angry. I never even payed attention to the name of the jig when I was 16.
jg:Smile:

Tunaslam
10-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi Ron,

See a Red and Sheep in JP pic, where is the Ling? Sounds like a typical winter day, very early in the Fall, a quick downward spiral from summer fishing? Bass fishing is really slow now for everyone. Never had a Bonito bite either locally or at Catalina this year, water temps, maybe? Not a year to remember, unless you got in on the WSB fishing on the coast or at the Islands.

Hook up!
Cory

JapanRon
10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi Jig-Guy,

I still have some of the bone lures.

Truth is .... the species we catch now might be less likely to be caught on those jigs !!

thanks for the comment,

JapanRon

JapanRon
10-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

For the life of me I can't see where I talked about a Ling in this report. Now, the last report before this ...a Ling won the JP !!

When Lobster 'HOOPING' reports make up 95% of a certain saltwater fishing board ..... you know something is screwy !! As you mentioned in your thread .... some PBers must be about ready to pack it in for the season and or all together !!! Especially if they're not going after Lobster. Fuel is still a consideration, then there's the expenses required of a boat for the coming year, the economy is only getting worse, household incomes diminishing and that's gotta ....... impact both the PBers and the moo-moos. Locally, I heard some operations are demanding more then their previous minimum of patrons to go out ...... That kinda makes sense ... if the fare is discounted ..... they still need a certain total income per trip !!

Look at the nothing-loads on boats ... check out the discounts online for local runs. As we know..... boats even advertised as being on line at the landings this Winter will be way, way, way down let alone boats actually ready to go out !! Lota boats are gonna go into drydock early and say out longer .... I've bet money !! More than a few on line 3/4-day boats last year were only able to go out 2 to 3 days a week !! Looked like they were rotating boats into the on line slots regularlly !! What does that tell ya !!

As we know ..... coupla big boats newly in receivership in SD and I'll bet more on the way !! The fat cats aren't gonna be in a position to put together the deal/money to buy some of these boats as they did in the past ! On anything over a day, bunk, fuel surcharge, galley guarrantee, and whatever else charges over and above on the fare as well as a demand for even higher percentage of the total as an upfront automatic tip for the charters ...... amounts to some hefty expense..... thus reducing the number of trips anglers can afford !!

On the spiral ........ spiral from where ? ha ha ha There never was a high point ... even with the few weeks of Barracuda fishing !!

Whatever the case ..... any suggestions on how sites might manage to keep some of these boards worth even coming to look at when we roll around the 3rd week of December ? Serious question. Yes, you, the regulars, and I will be on the boards but ..... new blood, occasional anglers, perspective patrons looking for information ...... stormy weather !!

your buddy,

JapanRon