PDA

View Full Version : dumb drop shot question

jowo
10-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Hey guys,
Sorry for asking something that is probably so obvious to you, but how do you rig a roboworm on the dropshot? Do you hook through one end like a C-rig, or do you hook it in the middle like a whacky rigged senko? Seems like a 6" worm is a little long to hook through one end and dropshot? Up til now, I've only drop shotted small fluke type baits on the dropshot...
thanks,
Johnny

Psycho_fish'r
10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
I usually just nose hook all of my baits I dropshot. Some people thread the hook through the bait on larger baits. You can wacky rig it also. There is no wrong way to dropshot. I personally think nose hooking gives the bait the best action.

ddoskocil
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Nose hook probably gives the best action, then wacky. BUT, if you have heavy cover, t-rig and bury the point may be the best.

KingShad
10-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Look at the roboworm rebarb hooks for heavy cover.

Pete Marino
10-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I personally wacky rig 99% of the time even with the heavy cover that DVL has... Youlllose alot of tackle but the hookup ratio cant be beat...nor can the action.

Pete

Karyn
10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Jowo,

When I first started fishing, all these terms were Greek to me; Google was my best friend.
Take a look at this cite:
http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/wacky-rig.html

Karyn

headcase881
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
You gotta just try diff. ways i get alot of action on the drop shot at perris and i normally wacky rig but you can also nose hook your robos. i wouldnt run your hook through the worm and skin hook it like a carolina i prefer my hook exposed but im always trolling my drop shot thats my resons on the exposed hook dont realy get much set time ya know its gotta be a grab and go. ha ha ha

jowo
10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks, everybody!

Matt_Magnone
10-14-2011, 07:51 PM
i'll nose hook when im trying to cover water or drag. i'll barely cover the hook point in almost a nose hook rig when i'm covering water with heavy cover. i'll wacky when i need to present a bait in a vertical fashion or need to quiver a bait in place for a long period of time. i collar hook periodically when the situation arises. i agree with pete about the heavy cover thing. definitely dont be afraid to throw an exposed hook rig in the heavy cover. to truly take advantage of an awesome bite sometimes requires you to re-tie constantly.

ddoskocil
10-14-2011, 10:36 PM
OK, I retract my statement about heavy cover.....I will totally go with Pete and Matt about exposed hooks in heavy cover. I hate re-tying, but I want the best presentation to catch the most fish!

ddoskocil
10-14-2011, 10:42 PM
To try to add more detail to the thread, not hijack it, what about the difference from shore or boat? Would it make more sense to bury the hook from shore to avoid so many hang ups? Or is it still worth the hang ups to hook more fish? Thanks guys...

ushone
10-15-2011, 09:36 AM
never been much a problem to me to retie, but if u wanted to could always have a few pre rigged drop shots that are tied to swivels

tunagod1
10-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Hey guys,
Sorry for asking something that is probably so obvious to you, but how do you rig a roboworm on the dropshot? Do you hook through one end like a C-rig, or do you hook it in the middle like a whacky rigged senko? Seems like a 6" worm is a little long to hook through one end and dropshot? Up til now, I've only drop shotted small fluke type baits on the dropshot...
thanks,
Johnny

Go to you tube and type in Mike folkstad dropshotting tutorial, This is a very good 4 part series by one of the top dropshotting fishermen is the US IMO. He takes youthru gear, setups, techniques, baits etc its very complete. You'll probably watch it several times so take notes.

tight lines

Tuna

itsagooddaytofish
10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
wacky is the best
so go wack off

keepemlo
10-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I never waked that's new to me the biggest trick is makin sure the hook sits right after the tie ..so that the bait moves natually ...putting the tag end back down has helped a lot

SMEGLLY
10-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Bass chow 5 inch thin purple "fuchsia" worm on a Gamakatsu # 1 split shot/drop shot wacky style with a 18 inch leader with a bent in the middle 3/16 oz drop shot weight.

Jeremy Wade Jr
10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Gamakatsu drop shot hooks.. #6 pound test line (fluorocarbon), finesse drop shot weights + roboworms hooked through the nose have always performed best for me.. once that palomar is tied.. got to make sure you insert the line through the eye again.. this is key to the whole presentation.

Indo-angler
10-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Go to you tube and type in Mike folkstad dropshotting tutorial, This is a very good 4 part series by one of the top dropshotting fishermen is the US IMO. He takes youthru gear, setups, techniques, baits etc its very complete. You'll probably watch it several times so take notes.

tight lines

Tuna

good link, thankz!

smokehound
10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
expose that hook. You have a lower fouling rate when drop-shotting, because you arent really dragging the hook around like a t-rig.

Most of my DS hits come when Im making the worm swim in place, just barely softly jigging up and down.

A great hook for DS is a stand-out hook, which allows you to tie a normal palomar, much stronger than the original method! It also stops your hook from pointing at awkward directions, which commonly happens with a standard finesse hook.

http://www.luresonline.com/images/dropshot/SU52.jpg

skunkmaster
10-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I used to think I liked those standout hooks, they are sharp and all, but for some reason the bass seem to spit them easier. Gammies get it done better - at least for me.

jowo
10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Do you have any issues with the Gam splitshot hook straightening? I used to use them flylining nightcrawlers for bass, but always thought they'd straighten under pressure. Anytime I snagged bottom, I'd just put some steady pressure, and they'd bend and come out, but I wouldn't want that happen on a big fish...

Dr. MindBendo
10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
What size hook were you using? 1,2,1/0 or 2/0 etc? They will be prone to straightening the smaller the hook size. I haven't had one straighten on me with a fish but I'm sure they would if I snagged a boulder on the bottom.