PDA

View Full Version : DVL tomorrow question

Fysher
10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Planning to fish DVL tomorrow with my bro for the first time. A couple questions I have:

Going to be renting a boat, what are you're suggestion, getting the regular boat or the deluxe one?
Should I bring my own anchor?

I'll be fishing topwater and if that doesn't go well then do the wait and bait. Any suggestions to what spot to hit up first?

Thanks.

sweetfish
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I would do the regular boat and bring your own trolling motor and battery. Most of the times the trolling motor battery dies after a couple of hours on the deluxe boat anyways. If you insist on getting the deluxe, email Ken at basstaxi.com and rent his bass boat. It is a few bucks more but worth it. Much better ride and electronics that work. Plus he will be able to give insight on what is going on out there.

castone001
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
use this link! I think I will hit this guy up as well until my boat gets all ready!

http://thebasstaxi.com/

Hole Pounder
10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
i have called, emailed and texted ken the bass taxi for the last 2 weeks and not a single reply.

i rent thier basic bass boat all the time, nothing special but gets the job done. if your striper fishing and looking for topwater, no need for a fish finder, and if you bait and wait just go over by the dozen or so boats on the bouy line.

If you wanna try for largemouth, the deluxe is nice, but not necessary. here are a couple of hints
1. watch the real bass boats. are they in coves? on points? 20' of the shore? 75 yards off shore? this will help you get an idea where the "guys that know" fish.
2. bring your own anchor. they have 1 on the boat, but 2 is better if it gets windy, and plus the rope they give you isnt very long. tie knots every 10 or 20' in the line, it can serve as a makeshift depth finder. fish are from 40' deep to the shoreline trees in about 10' or so
3. move around til you find active fish. fish finders can be deceptive, you graph fish and you might have a tendency to stay for 2 hours til you catch em. if your not getting hit within 30 minutes, try the next spot.
4. i would work the south shoreline. SW corner seems to be a hot spot, but anywhere will hold fish. i usually start SE and hit a few main and secondary points with the goal of eventually ending up in the SW corner.
5. if you go a full day, get there about an hour before they open, which is now 6:45. the line is ridiculous, and if you show up at 6:45, you wont be on the water til almost 8. if not just go a half day. basic boat is 65 and the delux is 95 for half days. i think $20 or $30 on top of that for full day.

good luck, i will be out there saturday in a rental as well. if you see a big guy with a chick in the boat who looks bored out of her mind, its me, slow up and say hello.

Fysher
10-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will keep Ken in mind the next time I hit up DVL. This time around, I'm just hitting the lake for a few hours so I'll probably just rent the basic boat.

Thanks for the info Hole Pounder and will do if I see you. Good luck to you as well.