PDA

View Full Version : Sierras: fall trout more or less aggressive? (Oct 21 weekend)

Ultralight
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
As mentioned before, just back and taking my two boys to the Sierras next week. Bishop & Mammoth area. Shore fishing.

Would trout be more or less aggressive during this time of year? If they are more aggressive, I figure lures such as Thomas Buoyant and such may be part of the presentation. if less, I figure perhaps a slowly fished minijig - perhaps as light as 1/64 or even under the bobber.

We'd also like to catch our first brookies so perhaps some stream fishing is in order. We'll probably float a gulp egg or salmon eggs for the stream, or use a very small 1/64 jig.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

TROUT MASTERS
10-14-2011, 06:29 AM
I have been fishing sierras for last 10-12 years .i find out myself that cold weather is the
best time to fish for trout.if you are going to mammoth.try lake george ,small creek runs
into the lake from the north side,i caught lot of browns,for brooks small creek runs into lake mary.use a 2lbs test,follow the creek up.and you will catch some brooks.
Good luck.
Trout Masters:Cool:

golfish
10-14-2011, 07:54 AM
If you don't mind heading up to Rock Creek Lake and a short hike, the pond below the lake is full of brooke trout.

Ultralight
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
THANKS to all who responded. Much appreciated. We'd like to catch our first brookies indeed so need to check that out. I'm posting a different thread on Brookies - hope that's OK.

Thanks,
UL