PDA

View Full Version : October 11-12, 2011: Finally! My First Salmon in Six years!

FishWisher
10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Waaaay back in 2005 I caught my last salmon - a gorgeous 25 Lb. chromer that fought her heart out! The following years were so bad for salmon fishing that I gave up early in the season, skunked. Then in '09 (I believe) they closed the season 'til, essentially, this year as last year's mini-season didn't even count. At least not for me.

So I hit the Old Sac this week for my first successful try since that memorable catch in '05. The story of that catch is here: http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2008...y-last-salmon/

During the early part of my troll, maybe 1/8 mile up the Old Sac, my reel sang out the good news that a salmon had taken my green Flatfish! I reeled the very unwilling critter to the boat, and after a few minutes he was ready for the net. He didn't weigh much, but he was a grand catch for this old man who hadn't caught a salmon in so long! My scale batteries were shot, so I could only guess he weighed about eight pounds. That may be optimistic.

That was it for Day 1, but the night on the Old Sac, anchored a bit below the Isleton Bridge, was a wonderful ending to a memorable day. The river was quiet and dark, and I loved it. Coyotes howled in the distance as I sipped a few "Cockpit Collins" cocktails and tried to entice a sturgeon. The sturgeon thing didn't work, but the cocktails did! Life is good.

I met my ol' fishin' buddy, Willie, at The Striper Cafe in Rio Vista for breakfast, and we hit the river for another day of trolling. As most fishermen that day on the Old Sac, we couldn't entice any action. Some fish were caught, but they were few and far between.

We gave it up at 1530, reeled in and headed home. I gave Willie my salmon, so at least I caught one and he got to take one home. That seems like a pretty successful trip!

Photos and more narrative on my homepage: http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011...-in-six-years/

(Mods: My site has nothing for sale, no ads and no forums, just my stories and photos.)

-Dale