PDA

View Full Version : What anchor do you use, if any?

Mike Sr
10-13-2011, 05:58 PM
With the water level way up the past year, and considering the tickets issued when tied to the inlet bouy line: I am considering carrying an anchor and enough rope to hold my boat in place at depths up to 200 ft. Anybody out there with any experience with this?

If so, I would appreciate knowing what style anchor holds best & what size/type anchor line you use and would recommend. I have a bass tracker bass boat, which weighs 1,080 lbs when loaded.

Your input would be appreciated and I am sure others may be considering same.

Thanks guys,

TroutOnly
10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
get a couple walmart 10lb rounded three prongs ,there only twent bucks each and a couple hundred feet of rope,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike Sr
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
get a couple walmart 10lb rounded three prongs ,there only twent bucks each and a couple hundred feet of rope,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks, TroutOnly ... Can I get a little more detail though, please?

What size rope do you use?
Do you use two seperate anchor/rope setups (one off bow & one off transom).
Or, are you sending down a second anchor on another rope, that is also hooked to the first anchor line? so that you are getting horizontal pull on the annchor to keep it set?

I do very much appreciate your reponse. thank you

karlow
10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Ask me on Sunday. I will tell you if it worked.
We are going to try on Sat.
300ft of rope, tiny claw anchors, the 4 Lb ones.
The same ones that the all the cattle boats use, but tiny.
If you see use drifting by, lend a hand!

KP

ToadsToadsOnly
10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Don't forget to buy chain I purchased about 10ft of chain this past season and boy does it make a big difference once you are anchored you do not have to reset unless you miss the spot you panned to anchor on. Don't buy the cheap rope t will mess up your hands pulling it up from 200 ft I purchaced mine from home depot for 10 bucks per 100 ft the anchor I use is the same one TO mentioned.

dixoncider
10-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Depending on your boat..but I use a 15 pound navy anchor and about 12' of 3/8 chain..holds in 20 knots at 200'...its a ***** to pull....

fishstory
10-14-2011, 07:07 AM
I have two anchors. One 20lb navy anchor with 300ft. of rope (1/4 braided nylon) and a 28lb Navy anchor with 100ft. of rope (1/2 twisted nylon). I also have another 100ft peice of 1/2" nylon rope so I can get 200 ft on the 28lb anchor. If you see a guy with huge shoulders pulling up a giant anchor that is likely me. LOL!

I have an extension cord reel to store all of the 1/4 rope on so it is nice and tidy. These navy anchors really dig in well. If the wind is not up I can just drop them over and keep position without setting them as they are like tying to a rock down there. Im going to get an electric reel so I dont have to pull up from 200ft anymore. Way too much work. I have had lighter anchors that work ok but these seem to grab staright away everytime. Im happy with my combo of anchors. My boat is heavy though. Not sure exactly how much it weighs but it is a 20ft. Larson with an 1850lb. capacity. Hope that helps.

KingShad
10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
I have an 18' bass boat. I have found a large anchor like this one http://www.boatinggearcenter.com/p-59-super-hooker-anchor.aspx digs into the mud easier. I put a large 5' heavy chain on that to dig it in better and then (3) 75' ski ropes which are easy on the hands to pull in. I never break loose. Nothing is worse then someone drifting into you because they cant get their anchor to hold. It gets pretty annoying real fast.

fishstory
10-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Nothing is worse then someone drifting into you because they cant get their anchor to hold. It gets pretty annoying real fast.

For me, what is worse than someone drifting into me is I end up drifting into someone else. For the most part, everyone I have encountered at DVL has been very cool and it really helps me keep a great attitude toward everyone else out there. When I first started fishing there I didnt have the correct anchors and kept drifting into peoples space. I kept apologizing and also without hesitation offered to pull up anchor and get out of their way. One time I had to do that. This was all in the same day. The people were totally cool (another larson boat and I think a Bass tracker) and didnt give me any greif over it. I made it a point to get some proper anchors after that as I dont ever want to negatively affect anyones fishing trip. So for me, I feel worse if I drift into someone than I do if they drift into me. I have been there myself. What would be annoying though is if they drifted into me and could give a **** less about it. Inconsiderate people drive me nuts.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
10-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Is it best to use a chain with your anchor
I have an 18' bass boat. I have found a large anchor like this one http://www.boatinggearcenter.com/p-59-super-hooker-anchor.aspx digs into the mud easier. I put a large 5' heavy chain on that to dig it in better and then (3) 75' ski ropes which are easy on the hands to pull in. I never break loose. Nothing is worse then someone drifting into you because they cant get their anchor to hold. It gets pretty annoying real fast.

KingShad
10-14-2011, 10:50 AM
yes. galvanized from home depot. digs anchor in better and makes sure that the rope doesnt slice on bottom. When its time to pull the anchor up you simply real in the rope while using the trolling motor to go over the anchor then once on top of it it will break free after a couple hard tugs. To set the anchor go about 75' upwind from where you want to be, drop the anchor down to the bottom, let out about 20 extra feet and hold it until you feel the anchor not sliding. Then tie off to your cleat. The second anchor which is optional is then dropped off the back straight down to stop the wind from swinging your boat from side to side. This is needed if your anchoring in a parking lot of boats but not if your away from people. It ussually takes me 3 or so times when its windy to get on my gps location because the anchors slide on the mud.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
thanks going to corona this weekend ....its gong to be a mad house
yes. galvanized from home depot. digs anchor in better and makes sure that the rope doesnt slice on bottom. When its time to pull the anchor up you simply real in the rope while using the trolling motor to go over the anchor then once on top of it it will break free after a couple hard tugs. To set the anchor go about 75' upwind from where you want to be, drop the anchor down to the bottom, let out about 20 extra feet and hold it until you feel the anchor not sliding. Then tie off to your cleat. The second anchor which is optional is then dropped off the back straight down to stop the wind from swinging your boat from side to side. This is needed if your anchoring in a parking lot of boats but not if your away from people. It ussually takes me 3 or so times when its windy to get on my gps location because the anchors slide on the mud.

tracker16
10-14-2011, 12:24 PM
On my old boat I used 3/8 line a 10 lb anchor 15 ft 3/8 chain, the chain is the key to the hole thing, what TO said about the weight on your anchor line is correct not many
people do this. With the heavy chain what happens is the weight of the chain lays on
the bottom flat when you have wave action the chain gos up and down and not your anchor. Anchor line should be at 45 degree to keep everything hooked up.
I use a roller on the main line and made this out of a large roller that gos under the tie down hook on the front of the boat. I have not put it on the new boat I will need it becouse I have a blown sholder I have 325 ft of anchor rod and chain.

twcthfsh
10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Tried the $20 Walmart anchor and it won't hold my 16' Whaler in the 200' of water if there is any wind.

Another friend said he had good luck with a box anchor when nothing else would hold at the River. Has anyone had any experience with a box anchor at DVL?

JigStop
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I think besides anchors the other issue is the younger beer drinking guys trying to sneek in a pee over the transome. Everybody knows dam well what they are doing yet nobody seems to yell at them. (at least not when I've been on the buoy line)

karlow
10-14-2011, 08:54 PM
They typically recommend a chain as long as your boat!
That seems too heavy to me so I would go with 10-14ft.
A fluke type anchor should dig in better and deliver better performance per pound.
The Bruce claw type anchors are good because they set up on very short scope.
200ft of water and 300ft of rope-> claw. There is a reason that every dam cattle boot on our cost uses one!
My problem is they do not make one the right size. The 4 lb is tiny, and the next size seems too dam big.
The other problem is they are bulky, not flat and do not store very well.
Good lock guys!

Mike Sr
10-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Hey KingShad - thanks - which weight of this anchor do you use? 9 lb.? I like your idea with the ski rope. Which diameter ski rope do you use & did you weave them together or just use metal shackles and keep the seperate until needed?
Thanks

KingShad
10-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Hey KingShad - thanks - which weight of this anchor do you use? 9 lb.? I like your idea with the ski rope. Which diameter ski rope do you use & did you weave them together or just use metal shackles and keep the seperate until needed?
Thanks

I have a 20 pound one in that fluke shape coated with rubber. I use regular wakeboarding rope unk diameter. The chain stays attached to the anchor then I attach each rope with a carabener as needed. Easier to store. I'll be out there tomorrow holding strong in 200' in my blue/white stratus.

Desertfishen2
10-15-2011, 10:26 PM
A good investment if you are planning on getting a new trolling motor Minn Kota i-Pilot GPS system. it is wonderfull and will hold the boat in any depth in the anchor mode with a pretty good wind. it also has a lot of other great functions but well worth the price for what it will do. We love ours.

Mike Sr
10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. I got a 600 ft. roll of 3/8 in twisted nylon rope & cut it in half so I can use 1/2 for a front anchor and also 1/2 for a rear anchor when needed. I also have put 12 ft. of 1/4 in chain on one rope & 10 ft. on another. As for anchors I am going to try using my existing 15 lb. and 20 lb. vinyl coated river anchors from Wal-Mart first to see how that works first. I also have a couple of Dutton-Lainson galvanized fluke Slip-Ring anchors (model #13E) that are only 4.5 lbs. ea. but their website says they will work on 25-28 ft. boats. Will try them out to see, also. I was thinking I would need something heavier in 200 ft. depths, but maybe not. I will find out though.

For those of you that have shoulder problems, I found a neat device that will help you pull up that anchor easily. Check out this item avainable from BassProShops

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__10151_-1_10051_8969

Also, if you want something to make tying off your rope a little easier, check out this item (but it only works on 3/8 in dia. rope of smaller, but DO NOT get the plastic model! get the chrome one.)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__10151_-1_10051_854

I plan to get both soon, but need to try out the new anchor/rope/chain combinations first. Two rolls of 300 ft. of rope is a bit of a storage problem for me. But appears there is no other option. Maybe I can find something to wind the ropes onto.

Thanks again guys,

Thanks again for everyones help!

dixoncider
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
The ring with the buoy thing does work. I have used them in the past with some success.. you have to over come the resistance of the line on the ring to get it to work..so depending on your setup you may have to get some speed and use some power to get it to work right..FYI..your boat lays on the chain when at anchor, if you start to pull on the anchor itself thats when you start to drag..for the most part.. I also use some gloves with rubber palms that help you get a better grip on the line..

itsagooddaytofish
10-25-2011, 12:13 PM
a cinderblock