PDA

View Full Version : how much do you think full moon effects day fishing?

dday07
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
usually catch alot of fish at dvl and perris but always seemed to do poorly on a day the there is a full moon.how many believe a full moon has a effect on fishing that day?(have a bet with my bro on this one)

DarkShadow
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I personally think bass become werewolf bass during the full moon, so you have to use baits that mimic stuff werewolf eat.

So something like this:

http://www.thetoyzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/LittleRedRidingHoodHalloweenCostume_A2E2/LittleRedRidingHoodHalloweenCostume_thumb.jpg

But with hooks.

Coefficient13
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd believe it affects the actively feeding fish as they'd be less hungry at key points of the day. Full moon that is visible at sunset may prolong the dusk feeding for a long time, and those fish would be less hungry in the morning I guess. If the moon comes up at 3 am maybe it would affect the morning bite starting earlier. Full moon up at noon wouldn't do much. I would not expect big impact on the find them in their home mid-day fishing, just the active guys.

I had it explained to me by folks I'd believe that fish caught during night fishing are mainly night fish. That is that there are some fish that simply decide to go through their hunting patterns at night rather than the day. Based on that idea I'd think moonlight helped night fishing, and those fish ate more, but those are different fish for the large part than your day fish anyways, so not as much harm done as people think.

It's a good question, and everything I've been told may be garbage. I'm trying to keep it simple with such ground breaking theories as "bass eat things that are smaller than them and move"... But I'll read what everyone else says :)

TheAsianGuy
10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Coefficient, you're right on the spot. Collected data is not garbage. Rather, slightly scattered based on water body. Not sure about DVL, Silverwood, but Gregory, Big Bear, and Perris fishes attack the second dusk sets in, and the full moon pops out. First 3 hours after dusk is crucial for those basses, and panfishes near the surfaces, between 2 and 5ft. Cats get really active near the surface, and lurk quite actively between 7 and 3ft below surface to hunt for leftovers during the feeding frenzies. Unfortunately, we can't fish beyond a certain time at Perris, but that doesn't mean we can't hunt at Gregory and Big Bear after hours..well, Gregory mainly. I got chewed up by someone on a boat, possibly lake patrol, for fishing way too late into the night once. So, I tend to complete my fishing day at around 9pm, or start my fishing hunt at 2am, when everyone is nicely tucked in beds, and under the cover of darkness..muahahahahaha..ninja mode.

P.A.W.
10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I think there is more to whether the fish are biting than moon phase, especially during the day. Barrometer, cloud cover, wind, time of year etc.

fish-o-haulic
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Everytime there is a full moon i do well that night but never that morning. Not to say there isnt any fish to be had the next day. For example I fished brite lake for trout earlier this year and only caught like 2. Why you ask, because it was a full moon the night before. True as others have stated full moon doesnt totally kill a bite but I have found it can greatly affect the bite pattern. Of course oddly enough I have found that it also depends on the seasons or the weather. For example when its cold full moon doesnt seem to affect the bite as much as it does during spring or summer. I always assumed it was because during summer its hotter and fish will go down deeper to feed anyway because they will go where there is more oxygen. and well the surface is going to be hot so not as much oxygen. But I've found it also depends on the species of fish. I'm more likely to catch catfish after a full moon then I am a trout(at least thats what I found from my fishing adventures). Striper I've found arent as active after a full moon but your chances of catching aren't completely killed. Hope this helps. Oh more thing I can't say i have better luck fishing at night than daytime, but i have noticed that certain fish tend to bite more at night than others. For instance I've caught more cats and bluegill at night than i have stripers. Though this may sound contradictory one of my earlier statements I've never caught trout at night, has anyone else? I would like to know. I figured its just because I've never lucked out on catching one at night. But yet as i said earlier can't catch many of them after a full moon.

TheAsianGuy
10-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Channel cats are always active at night, but they tend to be active in the day time too when foods become scarce. Bullheads, common in lakes due to stocking, are active in a wide range of hours, based on various temperature/weather/moon phases/etc. conditions.

Gills are very active throughout dawn, mid day, dusk, and bright moonlight nights. They hunt based on how much foods they have obtained during the day. Scarce food source will trigger them to hunt all hours of the day and night. Plenty of bugs flying around near the surface, especially during springs and falls for mating. They actually cool down between 1am to 4am for some odd reason. Not sure why. Same thing with first sunlight. They stop for a few hours, and repeat again. Could it be synched to feeding time of predators such as birds of prey? They feed until 1pm, then stop, and continue again a few hours later. Really odd. Can't understand their habits well enough.

As for trouts, I hunt those puppy at 1 to 4am. Got them real good during full moons. If you want to get them more, get the green light from Bass Pro, tie the light to a small float/marker buoy, add another 25 to 35 feet of extra flexible 14 gauge wife, tap the light to the 12V battery, and in 30 minutes, you'll have plenty of actions within 10ft diameter of that light. But, just tossing the line in the water, nope. Ain't going to happen.

Guys, basses chase frogs like werewolves during full moons during late summer to mid fall. Mating season! Ever notice the frogs can be heard like a major band all the way until 10am?

It's truly suck to fish during during the day after nights of full moon. Really suck.

smokehound
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I see no real change. I've caught several nice fish in both fresh and salt water during a full moon.

In fact, during a particularly bright full moon, bass will have an easier time seeing your lures.