PDA

View Full Version : Bouyline and fines

tracker16
10-12-2011, 08:02 AM
What are the rules for fishing the bouy line can you be up agenst it but not tied, do you anchor andrift to it, how do you stay there and not get a ticket or fine, I see pictures of
boats and bouyline all the time agenst the line.
Thanks I dont want to get in trouble

TheAsianGuy
10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Basic rules:

1. Never tie your boat to the buoy line. FINES!
2. Trolling motor is good to maintain the 5ft distant from the buoy line. Anchoring won't help if the water depth is too deep. DVL is one of them. Perris..50ft of anchor line is plenty.
3. Stay close, but 5ft away from the buoy line. At Perris, you can brush up to it. Toss the line from that point beyond the buoy line for monsters that lurk below.

Have fun, and tight lines.

tracker16
10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks Asian Guy I see many do it in photos, the reason I ask I was out of Marina Delray
tied up and had a huge tug come rolling up yelling at me, the next thing there was a Coast Guard choper yelling at me and taking photos, i think they thought I was going to
blow somthing up, they asked if I had charts I said no the beach is right there im not lost, well I lost that battle. Thanks for the reply

Tracker16

dixoncider
10-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Ocean-Lake...big difference...

TheAsianGuy
10-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Either in the ocean or in the lake, the buoys installed at their specific locations have critical purposes, and very costly to anchor the tethered lines down. That's why coast guards were on your case, and so do the local water patrols for the inland waters. The tethered lines were only engineered for specific strength and the anchors were installed based on the requirement of the buoys' rise/sink/line tensile strength from tugging/pulling during various water conditions. That's why the buoys are off limit, because they were not designed to support additional line pressure from attached boats.