PDA

View Full Version : Look at what some guy caught at legg!!!

M6teenbam
10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/46300785.jpg
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/26744a3b.jpg
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/6bbf58e1.jpg
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/977bd100.jpg
I'm gonna start pulling out as many of these as possible from now on at my local lake. Reson why, is because I read that if you want the bass at your local lake to get bigger, take as many carp out of that lake as possible. It also said to catch the green sun fish or something like that. But for sure I'm learning how to catch these things. This carp was 36 and 1/2 inches long. And I will not say it weighed less than 30 pounds.

smokehound
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Damn, that's a fatty. Hard to believe, but they get twice as big.

I saw a couple of carp basking in the flood control ditch on warner in HB that were enormous.

Ifishtoolittle
10-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Man you guys are definitely doing something right at ol' Legg.

BUSTER124
10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
That is the ugliest fish ever.. Nice size though..

Viejo
10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm gonna start pulling out as many of these as possible from now on at my local lake. Reson why, is because I read that if you want the bass at your local lake to get bigger, take as many carp out of that lake as possible. It also said to catch the green sun fish or something like that. But for sure I'm learning how to catch these things. This carp was 36 and 1/2 inches long. And I will not say it weighed less than 30 pounds.

Where are you reading this about taking carp out to keep bass? Magazine....online...word of mouth? Interesting theory as Carp are not carnivores like Bass our and do not compete for the same foods.

smokehound
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Where are you reading this about taking carp out to keep bass? Magazine....online...word of mouth? Interesting theory as Carp are not carnivores like Bass our and do not compete for the same foods.That's not true at all. Carp are omnivores, and a major portion of their diet is small fish, the eggs of bass and bluegill, crayfish, and insects. Many anglers using big swimbaits have had a massive carp pounce on their lure.

You are correct that removing carp will have little effect on the bass.

baby Bass and bluegill compete for the same exact prey items, this is directly why both will stunt.

They are both in direct competition.

...Plus bucketeers tossing around live goldfish and bluegill, then keeping all the huge bass.

Sh1mano
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Where are you reading this about taking carp out to keep bass? Magazine....online...word of mouth? Interesting theory as Carp are not carnivores like Bass our and do not compete for the same foods.

Carp feed voraciously on bass eggs. You are right in that there is presumably no connection between the species from a food chain standpoint. However, the overall bass population is impacted due to the carp's predation on the eggs.

EndlessSeason
10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Hey the English blokes love to catch those things! They look like they would fight and fun to catch

vortec_cruiser
10-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Carp feed voraciously on bass eggs. ... However, the overall bass population is impacted due to the carp's predation on the eggs.

Would you like to cite the study you are using for reference?

Fishnfun
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
It's another situation in nature where you can't live with them and you can't live without them. One reason carp are put into most of our So. Cal lakes is to help control vegetation. Without some type of vegetation control, the lakes could be chocked with vegetation and un-fishable. I personally wouldn't be on a crusade to kill as many carp as possible to supposedly improve the bass fishing. The results may be even worst. If you eat them fine. To catch and throw them in the trash is kind of wasteful. I found this link from an Aquatic Management company:

http://www.aquaticmanagement.com/grasscarp.html

P.S. That's a monster fish! Wish I could catch one that size. Nice catch.

Viejo
10-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the correction, Smokehound and others. I also forgot to compliment the monster Carp. Huge in anyone's book.

vortec_cruiser
10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna start pulling out as many of these as possible from now on at my local lake. Reson why, is because I read that if you want the bass at your local lake to get bigger, take as many carp out of that lake as possible. It also said to catch the green sun fish or something like that.

That's just about as dumb as someone saying "I'm going to start keeping all the bass I catch, because I heard they're the number one predator of other species of fish."

fish-o-haulic
10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Thats kinda messed up to call his statement dumb. I hear all the time about how carp are supposedly problems to our waters because of there ability to quickly reproduce or something like that. Dont know the situation with them here, but i know in the great lakes i believe it is carp are a big problem. But i could be wrong. But whenever i hear about carp its normally something about them being a nuisance.

Jeremy Wade Jr
10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Heard a whole different mix on carp from fellow anglers to respectable bass blogs out there:

Although common carp did not directly reduce reproductive output or initial survival of largemouth bass and bluegills, the reductions in observed growth of juveniles may have long-term implications for centrarchid population abundance and size structure”, and that “negative effects of common carp on centrarchid populations may persist over several generations, eventually impairing sport fisheries and making improvements to population size structure difficult.

Carp fishing is one of a kind.. these suckers fight like bulldogs and require a whole new sense of fishing.. bought a carp rig with some boilees.. found a school of them one morning at a cove spot where I fish and I couldn't get them to stick! kept sucking and spitting my bait out.. tried the whole tortilla mix and everything to no avail :Angry:

JeffO
10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
In my humble opinion....if you keep a fish, you better eat it. Otherwise throw it back.

Did the guy take it home to eat? Or did he just get off by killing a large supposedly-nuisance fish?

vortec_cruiser
10-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Thats kinda messed up to call his statement dumb. I hear all the time about how carp are supposedly problems to our waters because of there ability to quickly reproduce or something like that. Dont know the situation with them here, but i know in the great lakes i believe it is carp are a big problem. But i could be wrong. But whenever i hear about carp its normally something about them being a nuisance.

Carp have been in California (and most other states') waters for decades, and the bass populations have grown, not depleted. That is verified right here on FNN with the large numbers of good-sized bass being caught each year. I'd like to see some legitimate proof that carp have been detrimental to the freshwater bass. If it's just hearsay or opinion, then don't repeat it. That's how rumors get started.

smokehound
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
It's another situation in nature where you can't live with them and you can't live without them. One reason carp are put into most of our So. Cal lakes is to help control vegetation. Without some type of vegetation control, the lakes could be chocked with vegetation and un-fishable. I personally wouldn't be on a crusade to kill as many carp as possible to supposedly improve the bass fishing. The results may be even worst. If you eat them fine. To catch and throw them in the trash is kind of wasteful. I found this link from an Aquatic Management company:

http://www.aquaticmanagement.com/grasscarp.html

P.S. That's a monster fish! Wish I could catch one that size. Nice catch.There are several problems with carp- The huge amounts of waste they create, the destruction of habitat they can cause, and the deterioration of clear water. You've all seen how a goldfish can trail a long line of poo, well its even worse with a big fat stinky carp. I'm not really advocating killing them, but they are a major problem. What our lakes need is proper management. This is extremely difficult in smaller bodies of water.

Marley
10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Aye, boyz! That's one big freight train right there. Nice fight? I bet!
What I have read is that the carp keep the sediment worked up as they forage along the bottom making it difficult for bass and others to make a viable bed for their eggs. No idea if that's true, but didn't the article use Elsinore as an example?

Sh1mano
10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Carp have been in California (and most other states') waters for decades, and the bass populations have grown, not depleted. That is verified right here on FNN with the large numbers of good-sized bass being caught each year. I'd like to see some legitimate proof that carp have been detrimental to the freshwater bass. If it's just hearsay or opinion, then don't repeat it. That's how rumors get started.

LOL!!! Just when I was about to amuse you by providing you links to one of dozens of "case studies" supporting the negative effects carp have on bass population...you go ahead and cite "FNN" as legitimate proof?!! ROFL!!!! I now have zero interest in putting the effort to cite case studies to convince you otherwise.

They're not hard to find if you know how to research but since FNN is your source for "legitimate proof"...then there's absolutely no way I or any published case study will convince you otherwise.

P.A.W.
10-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Anyone who lives at or around Lake Elsinore can tell you what too many carp can do. They stir up the sediment creating havoc with the good flora which feeds the low end of the food chain. It follows up from there. Where there is a balance of carp to other species they are no problem, but getr too many of them and baaad news.

smokehound
10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

Common carp has been introduced, sometimes illegally, to most continents and some 59 countries. Due to their fecundity and their feeding habit of grubbing through bottom sediments for food they are notorious for altering their environment. In feeding, they may destroy, uproot, disturb and eat submerged vegetation causing serious damage to native duck and fish populations, like canvasbacks.[17] Similar to the Grass Carp, the vegetation they consume is not completly digested and rots, raising the nutritional level of the water and causing exsessive algae growth. They destroy nests of other fish and eat their eggs, reducing their numbers significantly.
Efforts to non-chemically eradicate a small colony from Tasmania's Lake Crescent have been successful, however the long-term, expensive and intensive undertaking is an example of both the possibility and difficulty of safely removing the species once it is established.[18] It has been proposed, but is regarded as environmentally questionable, to control common carp by deliberate exposure to the common carp specific Koi herpes virus with its high mortality rate. In Utah Lake the common carp's population is expected to be reduced by 75% by using nets to catch millions of them and either give them to people who will eat them or processing them into fertilizer. This in turn will give the native June sucker a chance to recover its declining population.
In Australia there is enormous anecdotal and mounting scientific evidence that introduced carp are the cause of permanent turbidity and loss of submergent vegetation in the Murray-Darling river system, with severe consequences for river ecosystems, water quality and native fish species.[19] In Victoria, Australia, Common carp has been declared as noxious fish species therefore there is no restriction on the quantity that a fisher can take.[20] In South Australia, it is an offence for this species to be released back to the wild.[21] An Australian company churns common carp into plant fertilizer.[22]
Common carp were brought to the United States in 1831.[23] In the late 1800s they were distributed widely throughout the country by the government as a foodfish. However, common carp are no longer prized as a foodfish in the United States. As in Australia, their introduction has been shown to have negative environmental consequences[24] and they are usually considered to be invasive species. Millions of dollars are spent annually by natural resource agencies to control common carp populations in the United States.[19]
Common carp are believed to have been introduced into the Canadian province of British Columbia from Washington State. They were first noted in the Okanagan Valley in 1912 as was their rapid growth in population. Carp are currently distributed in the lower Columbia (Arrow Lakes), lower Kootenay, Kettle (Christina Lake), and throughout the Okanagan system.[25]

If you're worried about wikipedia being a poor source of information, you can always check the citations on the Cyprinus Carpio article.

Fishnfun
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Never has so many posts been written about the lowly carp. The good/bad effects of the carp can be debated for days. Having never personally done any detailed studies, I can't swear which is correct.

The other issue here is catching and killing as many carp as possible so that hopefully it will improve the bass fishing. For me, if the fish is in the lake, I'm fortunately enough to hook into it, after a good fight I'm able to land it and I don't plan on eating it, I'm releasing it back into the water. Hopefully, I'm lucky enough to hook into it again in the future so we can renew the fight to see who wins round 2. Again, just my personal philosophy.

TUNAVIC
10-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Ditto Fshnfun!

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok fudge, never mind, just want bigger bass at my local lake. I'll just let nature take it's course, and that course leads straight to the end of my line where my hook sits tight, Funk the know it alls and thanks to the know it alls. I'll leave the carp alone.

Cartman
10-12-2011, 07:59 PM

Carp hardly maintain their numbers. They do not reproduce quickly. The carp we have here are not the "Asian Carp" that are such a problem in the East jumping out of the water into boats and stuff. The carp we catch at "common carp." The grass carp are protected in California. I hate to see a carp mistreated. They are a great game fish and should be treated as such. C&R!

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Catch and release all day.

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
In my humble opinion....if you keep a fish, you better eat it. Otherwise throw it back.

Did the guy take it home to eat? Or did he just get off by killing a large supposedly-nuisance fish?

Actually the carp was put back. And I haven't seen anyone else pull out any since, so the carp are fine at legg. Go catch some. As you can see they are huge there.

Fishnfun
10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Actually the carp was put back. And I haven't seen anyone else pull out any since, so the carp are fine at legg. Go catch some. As you can see they are huge there.

M6teenbam,
You're an OK guy. Good to hear about the catch and release. I know the bottom line is that we all want to preserve the fishing for the future. Doesn't take away the fact that you made a great catch. Difficult to land a fish that size. Hope you have continued success. Keep posting. You have been on fire lately with your fishing at Lincoln, McArthur and Legg.

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
To lighten everybody up, I caught this at legg lake today,
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/8bcdd7d5.jpg

JeffO
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Good to hear! Normally when there's a pic of a fish strung on a rope it's a goner. CPR always and both the fish and the future fisherman are happy campers. Keep it up.

Lakerfan160
10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
To lighten everybody up, I caught this at legg lake today,
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/8bcdd7d5.jpg

nice fish M6teenbam,its a foot long lol.

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 09:20 PM
nice fish M6teenbam,its a foot long lol.

It's actually 14 inches

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
It's actually 14 inches

Lol. It weighed 1pound 14 oz in case you were wondering.

vortec_cruiser
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Ok fudge, never mind, just want bigger bass at my local lake. I'll just let nature take it's course, and that course leads straight to the end of my line where my hook sits tight, Funk the know it alls and thanks to the know it alls. I'll leave the carp alone.

It's nice to know that behemoth was returned to fight another day. I'm sure you would enjoy catching him again some day. No telling how old that guy is. And congratulations to you for seeing him as something more than just fertilizer. :-)

fishmounter
10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Have a replica made. They make nice mounts and are quite a conversation piece:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/mtd_carp_003-1.jpg

M6teenbam
10-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Damn that looks cool, but I still wanna make one for my first bass I told you about. When I can I will make one. And I didn't catch this carp, some guy caught this at legg when I was bass fishing there.

Sparky70
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Those Carp make good fertilizer around your plants..If You don't do that just throw them on the bank and let the Coons (Racoons) eat em. :EyePop::Rolls Eyes::Smile:

DockRat
10-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Carp have been in California (and most other states') waters for decades, and the bass populations have grown, not depleted. That is verified right here on FNN with the large numbers of good-sized bass being caught each year. I'd like to see some legitimate proof that carp have been detrimental to the freshwater bass. If it's just hearsay or opinion, then don't repeat it. That's how rumors get started. V T C :Applause:

In Imperial Valley the Grass Carp are in all the canals and protected to control vegetation.
I used to ride my motorcycle along the canals on the edges of farms around Brawley and see
2' to 3' Carp every 100' to 300'. They are planted by I I D
(Imperial Irrigation District).

Personally I don't 'Get' the whole LMB ' Craze ' :Rolls Eyes:

LMB guys watch too much LMB TV, read to much LMB stuff.
Spend too much money on LMB gear too, Media Hype, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/LadyFire/Toy%20Box%20Items/puppet1.gif

Give me a 10 lb + Carp ANY DAY over some 2 lb to 5 lb LMB
that gets posted daily by the Bass Guys :Rolls Eyes:

Bigger is Better :Thumbs Up: :Dancing Banana::Thumbs Up:

It is all about 'Burning Drag Washers' and ' The Rod Bent To The Max' :Worship:
LA River Carp beats El Dorado baby bass, all day long.
10 lb Catfish beats a small 3 lb Bass.

SW Fishing DR Prefers;
A Med to Lrg Stingray over the common 4" to 8" Surf Perch.
A 2' to 5' Shark over the common 14" to 18" Halibut.
A 2' Bonito over a 1' Mackerel.

Call them Junk Fish but they are much more fun than the common
small bluegill, trout, bass that guys get 'excited' about.

5 to 20 min light line fights beat casting for hours for a 1 to 2 min Bass fight.

Try to Reconsider What Is Really More Fun to C&R ?

IRVINE LAKE PICS, YOU DECIDE WHO BURNED DRAG WASHERS MORE ?
Look how happy the bass guy is :ROFL: WHY ? The other guy below looks tired. http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z203/the_rABiD_kittEn/Feelers/Sleepy/tired-sleeping-smiley-4658.gif

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q445/Rybeckman/0721081038a.jpg http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/FishStoriesJR/Carp%20Fishing/DSCN3570.jpg
USA FW Bass guys can't understand why in Europe, Carp are so popular. http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/faeeyes/smiley-confused013.gif
DR

Carptain_Bao
10-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Fat carps are definately what I am aiming for except bass!!!Those monsters are real beasts!:)

DockRat
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Fat carps are definately what I am aiming for except bass!!!
Those monsters are real beasts!:)

All kidding aside, without sarcasm the whole LMB thing don't click for me.
I'm a SW guy all my life with much BBL as a kid and some High Sierras fishing.
Tried a little FW the last few years including a day boating at the Vine.

Have buddies that love the LMB thing. One buddy I've fished with a
few times is all into the FW bass hunting now.
He used to SW primarily and now does Eldo and other ponds.

Take Eldo for example; Why fish a FW Eldo pond when one can go 15 min west and
hit the shores for Sharks, Halibut, Perch, Croaker, Bonito, Mackerel.

Different stokes for different folks, enjoy your LMB hunting.
DR

M6teenbam
10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
All I know is, it's not shark pro shops, it's not trout pro shops, it's not carp pro shops, and for god sakes please, it ain't Mackerel pro shops bubb, it's !BASS PRO SHOPS!

M6teenbam
10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/fbde3bd7.jpg
Not bad for fresh water.

whopperstopper
10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
That was one nice golden bass.....the most elusive of all gamefish

fish-o-haulic
10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
If were comparing bass to other fish i say striper beats it. World record LMB 22lbs i beleive. World record striper 78lbs i beleive. You bass guys can carry on over over your 3lb "whopper" I'll stick to my 10lb stripers. LOL. And my even bigger than both catfish. PB Cat 20lbs, pb striper 17lbs, pb lmb 5lbs. just sayin HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

smokehound
10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Carp hardly maintain their numbers. They do not reproduce quickly. The carp we have here are not the "Asian Carp" that are such a problem in the East jumping out of the water into boats and stuff. The carp we catch at "common carp." The grass carp are protected in California. I hate to see a carp mistreated. They are a great game fish and should be treated as such. C&R!That is definitely false. Carp can spawn at one year of age. Common carp are also one of the most fecund fish on earth, they lay ALOT of eggs, and over 80 percent of them are successfully fertilized.

Fortunately, no parental care is given to the eggs.

fish-o-haulic
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Carp hardly maintain their numbers. They do not reproduce quickly. The carp we have here are not the "Asian Carp" that are such a problem in the East jumping out of the water into boats and stuff. The carp we catch at "common carp." The grass carp are protected in California. I hate to see a carp mistreated. They are a great game fish and should be treated as such. C&R!

Asian carp i guess is what im talking about. I hear there a big nuisance in different parts of the country. But i know one thing there is a high population of carp, it would be hard for someone to convince me to think different.

flytyingreloader
10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm a "generalist", I guess--SW, FW--trout, bass, panfish, pike, walleyes--and prefer the pelagics and basses out on Big Blue. I want no part of carp--catfish--squid (except as bait)--sharks--and bottom-fishing isn't a favorite, either. 95% of my caught fish go back, a few are dinner guests.

Gordita
10-16-2011, 09:16 PM
man, that 's alot of sashimi.

carpanglerdude
10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
V T C :Applause:

5 to 20 min light line fights beat casting for hours for a 1 to 2 min Bass fight.

Try to Reconsider What Is Really More Fun to C&R ?

IRVINE LAKE PICS, YOU DECIDE WHO BURNED DRAG WASHERS MORE ?
Look how happy the bass guy is :ROFL: WHY ? The other guy below looks tired. http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z203/the_rABiD_kittEn/Feelers/Sleepy/tired-sleeping-smiley-4658.gif

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q445/Rybeckman/0721081038a.jpg http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/FishStoriesJR/Carp%20Fishing/DSCN3570.jpg
USA FW Bass guys can't understand why in Europe, Carp are so popular. http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/faeeyes/smiley-confused013.gif
DR

^ True true.
I love catching bass, but a carp fight thrilling, better than most other freshwater fish.

Ifishtoolittle
10-16-2011, 09:42 PM
^ True true.
I love catching bass, but a carp fight thrilling, better than most other freshwater fish.

Hence the name haha.

smokinflies
10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
nice fish....

LGHT
10-28-2011, 08:26 AM
I've never caught a carp and probably won't be targeting them, but I recently heard from another fisherman that they are actually "good eatin" he mentioned that you deep fry large pieces really crispy so that the bones are edible.

Has anyone ever eatin a carp that way? I actually don't eat fresh water fish except srtripped bass, but thought it was interesting since I never heard of anyone eating a carp before.

reservoir dog
10-28-2011, 09:39 AM

WORD!!! And I hope none of you guys are eating the LMB...:EyePop: