PDA

View Full Version : Mile Square Park SKUNKED!

smokehound
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
If you're headed here, DONT GO. The lake is full of rotting dying/dead catfish.

They stocked way too many catfish in there, after all, it's a very small lake. And when all these fish died, it caused a minor fish kill. I spotted dead bluegills and bass in several areas. It wasn't the lack of oxygen, as there are several aerators there. The water was cloudy with putrefaction. Ever notice how the water in a fish tank turns cloudy after one dies? Well multiply this by about 30 times, and you have Mile Square Park.

There were a few healthy catfish, though. Watched a few tough ones get reeled in.

I should have went to Tri-City. =\

I tried my whole arsenal, and not a single bass. This was by far, the most brutal fishing day I've ever had.

No larger bass spotted in the shallows. Water was cold. fish are deeper.

fish4keep
10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
LMFAO.........

I have never heard of "stocked too many".

smokehound
10-11-2011, 07:48 PM
LMFAO.........

I have never heard of "stocked too many".This tiny lake already has tons of huge carp, medium bass, and bluegill up the wazoo.. because of the small size, it's rather easy to exceed the bio-load limit, even with that many aerators. had they stocked a smaller amount, it wouldn't have been this bad.

And that's not even considering the park-workers that push-broom all the duck **** into the northeast section!

fish4keep
10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
This tiny lake already has tons of huge carp, medium bass, and bluegill up the wazoo.. because of the small size, it's rather easy to exceed the bio-load limit, even with that many aerators. had they stocked a smaller amount, it wouldn't have been this bad.

And that's not even considering the park-workers that push-broom all the duck **** into the northeast section!

The more DFG stock, the more ppl will take out. Most of these fish get fished out faster then it take them to be acclimated to the pond/lake. If DFG stocked a smaller amount, of course there would be less dead fish because there's less fish to die. But not from "stocking too many". DFG have stocked more than it had this last time (~300lbs). DFG have stocked upto ~500 lbs with no problem.

For some reason (I'm not a biologist), the last few stocking, the catfish have been dieing (those that aren't caught). Not from "exceeding the bio-load limit" but something else. It's just not MS thats having this problem, it's at alot of other lakes (big and small). And no they aren't choking from bluegills. Stocker catfish don't go after live bait since they aren't fed live bait. Eventually the holdovers will go after live bait.

smokehound
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
The more DFG stock, the more ppl will take out. Most of these fish get fished out faster then it take them to be acclimated to the pond/lake. If DFG stocked a smaller amount, of course there would be less dead fish because there's less fish to die. But not from "stocking too many". DFG have stocked more than it had this last time (~300lbs). DFG have stocked upto ~500 lbs with no problem.

For some reason (I'm not a biologist), the last few stocking, the catfish have been dieing (those that aren't caught). Not from "exceeding the bio-load limit" but something else. It's just not MS thats having this problem, it's at alot of other lakes (big and small). And no they aren't choking from bluegills. Stocker catfish don't go after live bait since they aren't fed live bait. Eventually the holdovers will go after live bait.I didn't mean the catfish were dying from the bio-load, I meant the other fish. As I said, I spotted numerous dead gills and bass. All those corpses in there fouled the water. (they dont have to be alive to contribute)

Fysher
10-12-2011, 06:41 AM
I remember about 10 years ago, this happened at the big lake but sadly it was trout. They overstocked the lake with trout and at the time, the lake had no aerators. Rangers were out in their dingy netting up tons of dead trout (some nice size too) I walked the whole lake and I'll tell you this, I saw a whole bunch of 20Lb+ carps, 20lbs+ catfish and a whole lot of 5lb bass, just cruising the shoreline, catfish had their mouth out of the water and looks like trying to breath air.

This time around at the small lake, I don't think it's due to overstocking, it's gotta be something else killing the cats because it's just not MS, other lakes are experiencing the same thing.

Gordita
10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
milesquare has fish in it ?