PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Ray 10/8 New Member....Pics included

Mr_Dunev
10-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum, although i have been on a few times for tips and locations.
I am from Florida, and have grew up fishing with my brother, and last week I bought my first rod in 5 years.

I went to the Jetty in Marina Del Ray Saturday night from about 7pm-1am

Within the first 30 min I caught 2 Thornback Guitarfish around 4lbs ea and about 14" across. I mostly used Frozen Anchovies, since the squid I brought didn't seem to work.

Throughout the night my gf, buddy and I caught 5 guitarfish, 2 mackerel, 1 crab, and an eel I haven't yet identified ( if you know what kind, please let me know).

Planning on going fishing again tomorrow, and probably Thursday. If anyone is interested let me know.

Here are some pics
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd173/Mr_Dunev/FISHING/DSCF0860.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd173/Mr_Dunev/FISHING/DSCF0856.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd173/Mr_Dunev/FISHING/DSCF0855.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd173/Mr_Dunev/FISHING/DSCF0854.jpg

iLLest
10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
on behalf of S.W.A.T and all of the members here on FNN, let me welcome you to the site. Have fun, fish hard, and post reports! :Envious:

Darius
10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
nice pretty girl.

bsp
10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Yellow Snake eel... nice catch! They're not that common, so pretty cool to see one pulled up.

headcase881
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
it almost looks like a hag fish did it give off a bunch of slime

Which Way Out
10-11-2011, 10:09 AM
on behalf of S.W.A.T and all of the members here on FNN, let me welcome you to the site. Have fun, fish hard, and post reports! :Envious:

What brother Frank said..

Mr_Dunev
10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Hey thanks for all the replies. It was a slimy eel, but then again so are are a lot of things from the ocean. Don't hagfish have a bunch of tendrils on their face? Because this one didn't. He put up a struggle the ENTIRE time i tried to take the hook out. He also pretty much strangled himself by tying himself in knots and getting the leader wrapped around his neck about 8 times.

Mr_Dunev
10-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I am going back to Marina Del Ray tonight around 8 or 9, if anyone wants to join us

ordane
10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I wouldnt mind fishin out there with you guys.. I typically hit the Salt scene Sundays but I'll be down in San Diego this weekend. I haven't hit Marina Del Rey yet tho I am a big fan of harbor fishing. Maybe an evening session sometime next week can take place.

Mr_Dunev
10-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt mind fishin out there with you guys.. I typically hit the Salt scene Sundays but I'll be down in San Diego this weekend. I haven't hit Marina Del Rey yet tho I am a big fan of harbor fishing. Maybe an evening session sometime next week can take place.

I am probably down next weekend, just give me a day or 2 notice, a week is too far to plan ahead. I'll post pics tomorrow from tonights catch

DockRat
10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Welcome :Thumbs Up: You must live up that way ?

Watch out for these Round Stingrays.
They have the stinger at the end of the tail between the skin flaps
and can whip it and nail you.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/sumdumsk8r/2007/PC240025.jpg
DR

iLLest
10-11-2011, 11:46 PM
nice pretty girl.

thats my sister... :Beat Stick:

Mr_Dunev
10-12-2011, 03:54 AM
[QUOTE=DockRat;583882]Welcome :Thumbs Up: You must live up that way ?

Watch out for these Round Stingrays.
They have the stinger at the end of the tail between the skin flaps
and can whip it and nail you.

Haha funny you should mention that!

I just got back from Marina Del Ray, and my GF caught one of those. I had pulled up another thornback earlier, and assumed the ray was one too, until I attempted to pull the hook out, and noticed it was different. I also caught a little stone fish.

It was a pretty slow day with only 3 fish all night, but I caught 2 new species which I take as a win.

DockRat
10-12-2011, 06:46 AM

I just got back from Marina Del Ray, and my GF caught one of those. I had pulled up another thornback earlier, and assumed the ray was one too, until I attempted to pull the hook out, and noticed it was different. I also caught a little stone fish.

It was a pretty slow day with only 3 fish all night, but I caught 2 new species which I take as a win. [/QUOTE]

Get a DFG rules and regs book at a tackle shop or Big 5 or Big Fines!
I got nailed by a round ray the size of a med pizza. Painful, the had a 1/8" piece of the broken stinger in there for a couple months till they x-rayed it, saw it, then had to cut it out.
DR

Mr_Dunev
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM

It was a pretty slow day with only 3 fish all night, but I caught 2 new species which I take as a win.

Get a DFG rules and regs book at a tackle shop or Big 5 or Big Fines!
I got nailed by a round ray the size of a med pizza. Painful, the had a 1/8" piece of the broken stinger in there for a couple months till they x-rayed it, saw it, then had to cut it out.
DR[/QUOTE]

OUCH thats gotta hurt! I heard the stonefish hurts quite a bit too. and to answer your other question, I don't live very close to Del ray, I live in Downtown LA

ordane
10-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I am probably down next weekend, just give me a day or 2 notice, a week is too far to plan ahead. I'll post pics tomorrow from tonights catch
Yea, I hardly ever actually plan a trip. We typically just end up somewhere... But I will definitely let you know what day we will try to head out there.

campeontri
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice report. I also fish the harbor but usually during the summer time, but being a frequent fisher of this area over the past years I have some advice to give you guys. Don't fish alone nor fish the middle or last jetty from where you were fishing late at night. Over the past years I'm seen a couple of fights and people being assulted by young trouble makers. So keep safe and keep the reports comming up...

Mr_Dunev
10-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Nice report. I also fish the harbor but usually during the summer time, but being a frequent fisher of this area over the past years I have some advice to give you guys. Don't fish alone nor fish the middle or last jetty from where you were fishing late at night. Over the past years I'm seen a couple of fights and people being assulted by young trouble makers. So keep safe and keep the reports comming up...

Thanks for the heads up, I don't usually fish alone, usually with 3 or more people. I did see some "kids" earlier in the night between about 7-10pm, but after that its mostly just dog walkers or joggers. I will definitely be more aware now that you mention it, and keep my eyes open for trouble.

I wanna go fishing again today, I have a fever and the only prescription.......is more fishing

keepemlo
10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
It looks like you fish the playa side..vie seen a lot of success there..people usually have a live bait setup where they go and get live bait and fish for halibut kinda slow fishing ,I had great times walking out from the other jetty I would use a large split shot and cut the anchovy in thirds using the middle piece ,I would throw out and just kinda bounce and retrieve they bait ..hold on they go down right into the rocks good luck

Mr_Dunev
10-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes the rocks are annoying I'll admit.

murrieta angler
10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Mr_Dunev,
Looks like you have been busy lately.
Keep up the good work!
Robert
<><

Mr_Dunev
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Mr_Dunev,
Looks like you have been busy lately.
Keep up the good work!
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert,

I have been busy, I have been fishing at least every 3rd day if not every other. I am bringing a group with me tonight.