PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day guide trip on the Jewel.

orionkhan
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Buddy from work and myself went out with Bob (troutonly.net) today. It was a first time fishing stripers. We went out for a half day trip. Had a few get away. Had a great time. But we caught plenty of fish in only a few hours. I would highly recommend Bob if you're looking for a guide.

scott e
10-11-2011, 05:45 AM
That's a nice half days fun! Good goin'!

fishstory
10-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Looks like Bob put you guys in the right spot. Was a lesson learned yesterday. I was just three boats out from you guys in 90ft of water and hardly had any bites. The shallower water was definitely the spot to be in yesterday. The boats next to me werent getting much either. A bite here or there but seemed like every few minutes we could see you guys hooked up as well as the boat behind you with a few double hookups. Yesterday was tough going with the full moon we had. Nice going! Kind of interesting seeing the smaller models in numbers. A couple weeks ago our fish were averaging 6-8 lbs. Now the little ones are at it. Any reason why that might be? Bob?

orionkhan
10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
One thing Bob mentioned to use was having fresh bait. He picked it up on Saturday. There were people in boats next to use using bait a few days older or frozen stuff and weren't hardly getting anything.

Looks like Bob put you guys in the right spot. Was a lesson learned yesterday. I was just three boats out from you guys in 90ft of water and hardly had any bites. The shallower water was definitely the spot to be in yesterday. The boats next to me werent getting much either. A bite here or there but seemed like every few minutes we could see you guys hooked up as well as the boat behind you with a few double hookups. Yesterday was tough going with the full moon we had. Nice going! Kind of interesting seeing the smaller models in numbers. A couple weeks ago our fish were averaging 6-8 lbs. Now the little ones are at it. Any reason why that might be? Bob?

TroutOnly
10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
fishstory i was there two days in a row and two different bites were happening,different class size fish feed in seperate groups,we had lots of hook ups with the bigger units but we didnt land as many big ones as the day before, fishing with light tackle and striper rookies usally dont land too many bigger fish with the real light tackle. and youre wrong about the moon there are two main phases for the month the few days before during and the couple days after each moon phase full and new moon. the stripers like other fish will feed heavy for about a week then slow a week then back to feed. the cooler water on the surface and the stripers anual fall gorge of bait have started, they bulk up as much as they can before the winter hits,i usally do real good the more time i get on what ever piece of water i'm fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HawgStalker
10-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Love to see those stripers being slayed, thats a lot of tacos! Great job guys.....

Way to put them on the fish TroutOnly.....

fishstory
10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
fishstory i was there two days in a row and two different bites were happening,different class size fish feed in seperate groups,we had lots of hook ups with the bigger units but we didnt land as many big ones as the day before, fishing with light tackle and striper rookies usally dont land too many bigger fish with the real light tackle. and youre wrong about the moon there are two main phases for the month the few days before during and the couple days after each moon phase full and new moon. the stripers like other fish will feed heavy for about a week then slow a week then back to feed. the cooler water on the surface and the stripers anual fall gorge of bait have started, they bulk up as much as they can before the winter hits,i usally do real good the more time i get on what ever piece of water i'm fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting. Thanks for that. Yeah, as far as bait goes, I likely had the freshest of everyone out there on Monday as we got it right off the barge the afternoon before, straight into ice and fished them first thing Monday morning. Never froze them. We did much better a week ago with some frozen sardines. I think I was the third boat on the line and it was obvious that there were more fish feeding in the shallow end as we hardly even metered any fish the whole morning. We caught some but you guys had doubles and bent rods almost constantly. It wasnt just us, every boat closer to you had more and more fish and you guys were definitely in the hotspot. I pulled off and was going to anchor in the shallow end but decided to head out as the pontoon boat had just pulled up and I didnt want to watch people getting ticketed. Looked like they left everyone alone though as I was leaving. Any tickets?

TroutOnly
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
IT'S THE LITTLE RED BOAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,