PDA

View Full Version : just got first float tube

kingfish2
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
OK so I picked up my first float tube and I have no clue where to start. So any help is appreciated. I have not purchased fins or waders yet and need advice on what to get. I have some of bros old dive fins and I planed on using them this weekend if its not to cold to go bareback out there. Amy tips on lakes to start at and any other questions I have put up and ill be happy. Thanks guys.

mjc89
10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
How much are you looking to spend on waders and fins?

kingfish2
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I was hoping to get away with less than 200

mjc89
10-09-2011, 08:51 PM
You can get pretty good stuff for $200. My waders, boots, and fins cost under $150.

headcase881
10-10-2011, 08:00 AM
hit up bass pro shop they got some nice booted waders. as for the tube do you have a rod holder??? if not get one. when you catch a fish your rod will end up in the drink. i built mine from some utility straps and a rod holder from wal-mart with zip ties. cost less then twenty bucks. next is just get creative its an endless set up with a few that work well. i am designing a small canopy for mine. that sun is a killer

kingfish2
10-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info ill have to get me a rod holder can't afford to be donating equipment to the lake's right now.

TheAsianGuy
10-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Congrats on the first tube. It will be quite fun. Just be warned that you'll get a heck of a workout if you plan to travel too far, too fast. Any wind will kill you. Suggestion:

1. Good pair of fins: any good pair of snorkeling fins will do. However, put in mind that you'll be using waders soon. The only types of fins that will allow you to use waders with would be the basic jet fins (sold at Bass Pro), force fins (WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!), and a few fins designed for fishing. Just type "fins fishing" keywords into the search engine. Always nice to find a pair in this forum or the Craigslist.

2. Rod holders: no more than 4 rods at time. Too many rods can make the first time on the water a bit clumsy. Try with 2 rods first. Tubes have rods holding velcros on both side for two rods at any time. Try that first. Once you get the necessary experience, go buck wild and load up like crazy. I normally carry 3 to 4 rods at a time.

3. Good covering: Forget the canopy. One good wind, and you'll be a sail boat. Just a nice wide bream hat, long sleeves, and good pair of long shorts covering your knees. Like headcase mentioned, the sun is a freaking killer. Long sleeved shorts past the knees will save your kneed from the lobster burn pains. Oh..cover your neck and arms with sunblock real well. The sunlight reflection at that close to the water will roast you. Just make sure you remove the sunblock scent/oil completely from your hands before handling your baits and lures. Slight amount of the oil/scent will discourage the fishes from biting. Suggestion would be a bit of vinegar or salt to rub onto your hands, and wash them well in the lake's water. Better yet, if you can reach down and grab some water weeds, rub the weeds all over your hands for a good minute if you don't want to use vinegar or salt. Sweat can also be a killer. A good forehead band will save you full of woes when you kick like a freaking drowning victim.

4. Future investment of a 2.5 to 3lbs mushroom or grappling anchor. Winter is approaching, and wind can be unpredictable. The anchor with a nice tethered line will station you in the water for a nice long time as you toss soak one line while casting a line towards the shallow water for some actions.

5. Go light: pack only the necessary. For us, that means everything! :LOL: but seriously, go as light as you can. Only pack what you need for the fish species that you're aiming for.

Good luck!

etaggart
10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
HotSpot Float Tube fins - sold at Turners Outdoorsman. Best deal on excellent fins anywhere. They really do make a big difference - and they float!

Make rod leashes out of old cell phone charger chord and zip ties - look on youtube for videos of how to. I lost an old fly rod my father-in-law gave me - old thing, but it was still a bummer - and my rods still fall out every once it a while, but the leashes keep-em safe.

I like to wear light to heavy sweats under my waders - otherwise a long day of kicking gets a bit chaffey on the back of my legs.

Glacier Glove float tube boots. gotta have boots over your wader neoprene socks or else your fins will wear through the wader socks. Sport Chalet in Mission Viejo sells them.

I wear a wide brim hat with flap on the back, light-weight long sleeve shirt and Dr Shade stripping gloves. I got light skin and burn easy. Sunscreen!!!

Go up to Big Bear and let us know when you're there - we'll see if we can connect on the water!

Cheers,

Eric

kingfish2
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow thank you guys for all the advice I'm pretty excited to get out there and give it a try. Hope to see you guys out there.