PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-10-09-11 A Variety Pack.

Tunaslam
10-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Fishing Sunday morning, Oct. 09, 11, on Lal’s 18’ boat, the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davie’s in Los Alamitos at 5:30 am, our beginning destination being the Newport Pipe. It was grease calm, and the ride out to the pipe was extremely pleasant.

Before arriving at the Pipe, we had to make a stop on ***** slap rock, known for it’s radical pinnacles, caves, and big Bass, amongst the slappers, most likely Black Sea Bass? It’s a few miles north of the pipe, very small and often cost you gear. After a few drops, both Lal and I got slammed, and both of us had fish take drag, and unbutton. Darn, however, as I recovered from the shock and took a few cranks on the reel, it was bit again, no drag pulling this time, yet a very healthy fish, with intense head shakes:

Myself with a 3.5-pound Sand Bass, notice how beautiful the Sunrise was.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Barracuda%20and%20Bass-05-12-11/100_1803.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/Lal-Barracuda%20and%20Bass-05-12-11/100_1804.jpg

A few more passes on the “Rock” and no action, so on to the Pipe.

It was a slow pick, working various depths, metering fish here and there, however, few biters. Caught about eight Sand Bass, and one Calico Bass in two plus hours. We also caught a half dozen Sculpin, several Cabazon’s, a Tree fish, and a Chocolate Rockfish, There was a great high tide of 5.2 feet at 8:30am. However, there was almost no current, and with no wind, we did not cover much ground. Yet, who’s complaining, it was drop dead gorgeous weather out on the water, with outrageously clear conditions, Catalina behind us, and Baldy in the mountains in front of us. Anyone taking a harbor cruise was going to enjoy the moment. This is California at it’s best in the Fall.

Lal moved us over to the Newport Reef area. The marks were quite good, yet the fish didn’t seem to notice our lures. I’m guessing they were just taking in the beauty of the day? Look out, Lal has a bite, he hollers, its taking drag on my 20-pound outfit. We mostly fish 15 and 12-pound line, except for ***** Slap Rock. I watch as Lal works the fish to the surface, oh yeah it’s a Big’n all right. A five-pound beast, on the Boga Grip. Go to take a picture, and the big Sand Bass hops off the grip into the water, darn, no picture.

Give up on the reef after only one more Sand Bass for the next hour. Work our way north, stop on a few other small rocks and structure for three more Sand Bass. We end the day at noon, with 13 Sand Bass, one Calico Bass, and ten other species of fish. The winds were barely over 5 to 8 knots at their worse. We could of fished much longer, yet Pro Football was waiting, and a fantastic top 20 Zinfandel I had purchased the night before, wow, it lived up to its billing.

All fish released. What an enjoyable day on the water.

Thanks Lal, another fun day on the Ducky!
Hook up! Cory

JapanRon
10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Dang, wish we coulda seen that 5 lber but that's how it goes sometimes. Sometimes that boga grip kinda puts the hurt on the person holding it from the little experience I've had due to a weird kind of leverage exerted when fishy flops and turns !!

Great report and pics .... good for you guys,

JapanRon

vince
10-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Looks like a nice trip !

TUNAVIC
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Good trip,I always have mixed emotions when it's flat grease calm in the am,one feeling is it's gonna be great fuel mileage,great ride,and all the other stuff that goes with a flat water day,but then I worry it's gonna be a scratchin here and there day because it's seems when it's a no current day the fish won't play!
Seems like you guys did very well,plan to go out myself,wed or friday,I'm retired so any day is good for me but it's up to my fishing partner who isn't.
Thanks for the report!

DockRat
10-10-2011, 08:12 AM
. Go to take a picture, and the big Sand Bass hops off the grip into the water, darn, no picture.

Oh Yah, that is terrible news you lost a Sand Bass :ROFL:
I'm still thinking about the 8 day Mexico trip.
DR

Tunaslam
10-10-2011, 09:27 AM
It was so nice out, a boat ride in the harbor was worth the trip, besides the scenery can get quite pleasing in the harbor. Yep, no current usually equals slow fishing. Since Lal is going to be out most of the winter with surgery on his ailing knees, I need to find a new winter Bass fishing partner, let's hook up Vic.

Cory

Good trip,I always have mixed emotions when it's flat grease calm in the am,one feeling is it's gonna be great fuel mileage,great ride,and all the other stuff that goes with a flat water day,but then I worry it's gonna be a scratchin here and there day because it's seems when it's a no current day the fish won't play!
Seems like you guys did very well,plan to go out myself,wed or friday,I'm retired so any day is good for me but it's up to my fishing partner who isn't.
Thanks for the report!

Tunaslam
10-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Oh Yah, that is terrible news you lost a Sand Bass :ROFL:
I'm still thinking about the 8 day Mexico trip.
DR

Nope didn't lose a Sand Bass, all fish are released anyhow, we lost the picture of a Dandy Sandy!
Cory