PDA

View Full Version : New to Trolling - need some help

BigE
10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm new to trolling and need some help. Just about to invest in some lead core set ups, which everyone keeps telling me I need, especially for DVL. Any advice would be appreciated.
1. How to set up my lead core line?
2. Best method for trout?
3. Best method for stripers?
4. What speed do you usually troll at for each?

A lot of questions, but I need a lot of answers :LOL::LOL:

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Big E

KingShad
10-09-2011, 02:48 PM
1) 25' monobacking, 10 colors leadcore, overhand lead core knot, 25' leader to lure.
2) dunno
3) multiple lures found in previous fnn posts
4) Striper 1.5 - 3.5 mph

GdHkSet1
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey BigE, welcome to the FNN I found some really good deals on some LC/DR Rods on FISH USA.com, if you go with LC try the 27lb version vice 14lb, less cranking in 10 colors unless you like the burn. Some of the trollers are using the 27lb version. Spools come in 100 or 200 yards. I used to use the LC for trout and stripers, now i just drop the DR down. I like to troll a little faster for stripers..if I ever return to troll for trout at DV flashers or dodgers w/NC works pretty good out there. Good luck out there and post with pics!

TrouTracker
10-10-2011, 01:26 AM
To BE- Trolling is a very specialized form of fishing that's pretty technical at times. KS and Vince have some great pointers that you should take to heart. One suggestion would be to hire a guide that specializes in trolling to help you with all of your questions. You can go to some of the local tackle shops, such as Last Chance in Hemet and Longfin in Orange. They can get you on the right equipment to start out.

For trolling flashers, dodgers, releases, lures and flies, I'd check out Sepsprofishing.com. They have terrific trolling accessories that will do the trick for trout/stripers. As mentioned, to get "fast tracked" on learning the trolling game for either leadcore or downriggers, I'd go with the trolling guide. Do the half-day thing just to learn the basics and a few tricks of the trolling trade.

It will be a bit of a challenge for you at first, but you'll have a blast when you start nailing them. Best of luck and welcome to the club........
Barry

BigE
10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks all for the tips. Please keep them coming! I'll let you know how I do and post some pics along the way!