PDA

View Full Version : CATCHING MACKEREL FROM THE PIER

TARHEEL15
08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I NEED TO CATCH SOME FRESH MACKEREL TO DO SOME CATFISHING. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY? CAN YOU CATCH THEM WITH SABIKI'S? IF YES, WHAT SIZE HOOKS? ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

SOSO
08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Sabiki rig is your best bet! For fast, instant, mulitple hook-ups. Any size will do, most of them are small hooks anyhow. If you down south towards Newport, you will get hooked up on some Bonito, so go with a little bigger hook. Post your day out with pics for us!

cappo
08-15-2007, 01:15 PM
try some krocs and kastmasters too

victor101
08-15-2007, 01:54 PM
yup sabiki is the easiest fastest way. you can add a small piece of squid to the hook. it makes em go crazy. i like using size 6 hooks. if you havent used a sabiki before i would recommend using a 3or even a 4 oz weight. it helps keeping it from turning into a mess on multiple hookups. good luck and dont forget to post a report!

pipelayer5150
08-15-2007, 02:16 PM
once you catch one ive found fresh mac to be the best bait for catching more make sure to keep the skin on it helps it stay on the hook.

TARHEEL15
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks everybody, I'll let ya know how I do.

RRTGuy
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
One other bit of info, If your hooked up, leave it down in the water for a minute. The thrashing of the fish on your hook will drive the other fish crazy and you will end up with three or four fish per rig...

Just my experience at least

Tight Lines

RRTGuy

Fisher-of-Men
08-16-2007, 04:04 PM
One other bit of info, If your hooked up, leave it down in the water for a minute. The thrashing of the fish on your hook will drive the other fish crazy and you will end up with three or four fish per rig...

Just my experience at least

Tight Lines

RRTGuy

That brings to mind when I was fishing off the jetty in Newport by the Wedge. I was using flies. I had 5 flies to a rig with a 1 oz. sinker at the tail. I casted it out and hooked up 4 Bonito in one shot. I was amazed. :shock: I've never caught more that one fish on a rig before this. Good thing I was using 15 lb test when I pulled them up over the rocks. :wink:

Fisher-of-men

smokehound
08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
ive found that larger mackerel school deeper than smaller mackerel.

Anchovies work good for larger mackerel, but so does a small mackerel slashed to bleed a little bit. Hook the mackerel through the tail, i do that. Try to get a very tiny mackerel with a single tiny hook. 4 inch macks are a wonderful bait. lively, strong, and very bloody. A good way to use a live mack for shark fishing, is to give the fish a little slash, but take care not to damage the lateral line. then just keep the fish at the bottom.