PDA

View Full Version : Bass fishing in the winter

djkim1
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi all, I'm still new to the whole exciting world of fishing. Just wondering, how is the winter season for LMbass in socal?

What kind of advice do you have for winter season bass fishing?

riverside_angler
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
fish deep! FYI...the Fall season started about 2 weeks ago. You still two and a half months before "winter" actually starts. Add another 2 months to that in SoCal.

djkim1
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your reply! For the fall, how do topwaters fare? Swimbaits? I'm fishing local city lakes, and the occasional Pudd.

ityperx
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Topwater still works in the early mornings as I have used it this past few weeks at Cachuma, but like riverside_angler stated deep is the way to go...

riverside_angler
10-07-2011, 10:23 AM
swimbaits will pick up once the trout get planted.

bassgrabber1
10-07-2011, 11:11 AM
swimbaits will pick up once the trout get planted.

And that started yesterday at Perris ...woo hoo!!!!

pescadormejor
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
As the Beastie Boy's song goes... "Slow and Low, that is the tempo"

I also like to down grade my gear during the winter and fish lighter and smaller.
4" plastics drop shot or wacky rigged flick shakes.

Slow rolling blades deep can pay off well during the winter.

Good Luck!

XMrxSEAUx
10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
For me I like go with 4 lbs test and fish bigger worms. The ttheory for me at least is that fish wants to expend the least amount of enery for the meal. I have caught bass with 4 inch robos all season long but the hefty 7 inch worms caught me more bass. Some can argue this. But for me this was what happened to me at the leg

TheAsianGuy
10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
For me I like go with 4 lbs test and fish bigger worms. The ttheory for me at least is that fish wants to expend the least amount of enery for the meal. I have caught bass with 4 inch robos all season long but the hefty 7 inch worms caught me more bass. Some can argue this. But for me this was what happened to me at the leg

That is true about the larger the meal, the less the work. However, that will apply for lakes that don't have to much food resources to share all around. When you have constant load of nutritious food sources coming from the aqueduct, insects from the surround vegetation, plenty of water worms, and on top of that, the fish populations that were hammered during the nice long summer season by us anglers :LOL: well..plenty of food to go around. Small is good. Big is good. Now..the question is, are they full, hungry, or starving?

XMrxSEAUx
10-07-2011, 01:03 PM
That is true about the larger the meal, the less the work. However, that will apply for lakes that don't have to much food resources to share all around. When you have constant load of nutritious food sources coming from the aqueduct, insects from the surround vegetation, plenty of water worms, and on top of that, the fish populations that were hammered during the nice long summer season by us anglers :LOL: well..plenty of food to go around. Small is good. Big is good. Now..the question is, are they full, hungry, or starving?

I like your take on the winter sessions. Now just gotta go out there and wet our lines!:)