PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Creek Basin/Convict Lake/Rock Creek Lake Report

DC5fishR
10-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Went fishing last weekend for my last trip to the magical sierras for the year. The weather was nice except for the gusty wind. The fall colors seemed to be just starting and there were a lot of photographers. More photographers than fishermen really.
Day 1 PM: Stopped by a spot on the south fork creek for 1 rainbow. I then fished south lake for a couple hours, but it was seriously windy and I managed to only get a few rainbows. I then went down to try weir pond for the first time and actually caught like 9 rainbows and 4 brookies!
Day 2 AM: Went to Convict Lake and decided to check out the creek. Didn't do any fishing, but a deer did pop out of no where about 15 feet from me and then acutally started to follow me :Shocked: I then fished for a couple of hours and caught about 5rainbows.
Day 2 PM: Headed down to Rock Creek Lake and explored the creek inlet. I caught a brown trout out of the creek and then caught about 5 more rainbows from the lake. My first fish from this lake!
Day 3 AM: Went back to Weir pond and had the entire pond to myself. Caught about 10 trout, including brown, brook, and rainbows. One of the rainbows was about 2 pounds and the brooks were beautiful. :Big Grin: I then headed down to south fork creek and caught 2 more rainbows.
Day 3 PM: Headed to Lake Sabrina, but ended up only fishing the lake for like 15 min since it was windy with serious gusts and I was starting to get addicted to the stream and pond fishing. Went below the dam to the creek and managed 5 rainbows. I then decided to fish the last two hours at Intake II where I caught another 5 rainbows. The lake was actually nicer then I rememberd and protected from the wind.

I cpr'd all the fish and caught most of them on mini jigs. Didn't get much action from the metal or crank baits this time. The fishing for me wasn't wide open this time, but I did learn a lot more about creek fishing. Thanks wind!! :Twisted: Does anyone have advice on fishing Sabrina or South Lake from shore when it's so windy?

DC5fishR
10-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Here are a couple of pics.

Hooked Up
10-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Sounds like a good trip! Nice pic's of the brown and brook.

TROUT MASTERS
10-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks for your report,
nice brooks and brown.

Which Way Out
10-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the report. Heading up next week, glad you left me a few at the pond.:Thumbs Up:

diamondbear
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
NICE FISH , great report , thanks .

MexicanPistachio
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Good report, sounds like we were up there the same time. The winds were killer this past weekend. When the winds are blowing the best bet is to fish the inlet of the lakes. This way your casting with the wind vs into the wind. I tried casting into the wind off the South lake dam and we went 5' if that.

ityperx
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Does anyone have advice on fishing Sabrina or South Lake from shore when it's so windy?

Don't fish it at it, it's not worth the effort. Aside from that, sounded like you had a blast with the creeks and ponds. I'm assuming your sn matches the ride you got? DC5 is sick. What year you got?

phishin phool
10-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Awesome job on the trifecta at Weir, and browns on the jig very cool! Sorry to hear about the wind. Thanks for the cool report.

bstolton
10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
nice report and pics. I can`t wait to go one more time in about 3-4 weeks.

DC5fishR
10-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Good report, sounds like we were up there the same time. The winds were killer this past weekend. When the winds are blowing the best bet is to fish the inlet of the lakes. This way your casting with the wind vs into the wind. I tried casting into the wind off the South lake dam and we went 5' if that.

Yeah, the winds were howling. Did you catch any at the dam? Are any of the inlets at south lake shore accessible?

eggot
10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Nice report.... now how about pics of your DC5?

EndlessSeason
10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Sabrina is always good for me on that little island up the trail a few minutes from the bait /boat shack. I use red & yellow plastic worms and do well at all times of the day.