PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice for Seal Beach pier/jetty

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I have been fishing plenty of times in the freshwater lakes but with the cost of bait and paylake fees, it is becoming expensive so I decided to do some pier/jetty fishing at local Seal Beach. Any idea on when to fish and what type of bait? Also how far on the pier should I go? Thanks.

smokehound
10-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I have been fishing plenty of times in the freshwater lakes but with the cost of bait and paylake fees, it is becoming expensive so I decided to do some pier/jetty fishing at local Seal Beach. Any idea on when to fish and what type of bait? Also how far on the pier should I go? Thanks. I generally go no further than the wall under the pier, because I do not like tiny white croakers stealing all my bait. It was so bad, I switched to a big-*** octopus hook, and a 5 inch croaker STILL swallowed the damn hook.

Those DO make a good live bait, though.

vince
10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I have been fishing plenty of times in the freshwater lakes but with the cost of bait and paylake fees, it is becoming expensive so I decided to do some pier/jetty fishing at local Seal Beach. Any idea on when to fish and what type of bait? Also how far on the pier should I go? Thanks.

Normally fish the area near the lifeguard tower, by the light post. Usually corbina hangs around that area. If you can't get sand crabs, use cut up market shrimp, little 1/4 pieces, bury the hook inside. Fish it with 10lb-15lb, in fact, I use 20 lbs mainline, and use a 10lb leader. #4 or #6 hook, dropper loop, around 1-2 oz weight. Just lob it about 20 feet or so, and hold on. Sometimes those corbinas get feisty =) Let me know when you go back, I might join you =) Let's have a pier fishing 101 =)

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Normally fish the area near the lifeguard tower, by the light post. Usually corbina hangs around that area. If you can't get sand crabs, use cut up market shrimp, little 1/4 pieces, bury the hook inside. Fish it with 10lb-15lb, in fact, I use 20 lbs mainline, and use a 10lb leader. #4 or #6 hook, dropper loop, around 1-2 oz weight. Just lob it about 20 feet or so, and hold on. Sometimes those corbinas get feisty =) Let me know when you go back, I might join you =) Let's have a pier fishing 101 =)

Sure thing man. Thanks fr the info ^^

vince
10-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Ooops ! also forgot to give you when is a good time to go fish...normally one hour before (incoming tide), and one hour after (outgoing tide) high tide... some websites out here if you google "tides"...now you made me want to go fishing again...I might be at Seal Beach tmw...trying my lure again...oh wait, I gotta pick up my reel that just got serviced...at Youngs.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Ooops ! also forgot to give you when is a good time to go fish...normally one hour before (incoming tide), and one hour after (outgoing tide) high tide... some websites out here if you google "tides"...now you made me want to go fishing again...I might be at Seal Beach tmw...trying my lure again...oh wait, I gotta pick up my reel that just got serviced...at Youngs.

Yeah Young's is always a pretty reliable place. I need to go pick up a couple plastics and soft lures. Any ideas?

vince
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Plastics / lures.... i just normally use those zoom jerkbaits, and some big hammers/worm king swim bait, or swimming mullet by berkeley/gulp, rootbeer color.

bigfishlittlefish
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I use plastics to get cod or albacore at Ruby's at the end of the pier. I understand greenbacks work just as well there.

As far as fishing off the pier, it depends upon what they're catching there. For grunions and smelts, I use fresh shrimp pieces on #10 or #12 hooks; for macks and tom cods, cut macks or larger pieces of shrimp on #8 to #2 hooks. Tom cods and macks also go for small Crocodiles and other metal jigs. I've also caught short halis on fish type (gray or blue upper, lighter underside) soft plastics or freshly caught smelts/grunions on #2 to 2/0 live bait hooks. When fishing with shrimp or cut macks, I slowly jig the bait up and down. Mussel and frozen anchovies work well, but don't stay on the hook very long. If I forget to buy fresh bait, I'll sometimes use cut pieces of Berkeley Gulp! sandworms or clams.

I fish near or at the end of the pier near Ruby's and the restroom due to my hypertension pills which require numerous trips to the restroom throughout the day. Unless I'm fishing for halis, I usually stay near the surface with just enough weight to keep a taut line, usually 1 or 2 oz....and just deep enough so that I only see my bait when the water level goes down before a large wave.

bflf

DockRat
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I use plastics to get cod or albacore at Ruby's at the end of the pier. I understand greenbacks work just as well there.
That is the best line of the year :Applause:

I would like to get some Albacore on the pier too.
DR

DockRat
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Use one of your FW setups for smaller stuff 6lb to 15lb whatever you have to see if you like SW. Rinse off all salt, gear, lures, hooks after use. 2 rods per person only allowed on piers. Some FW lures work, Kastmasters, Krocks ect.

Frozen squid, mussels, anchovies ect.
Live Ghost shrimp, lug worms (they bite), bloodworms whatever they have can be bought at Big Fish Tackle, Seal Beach Blvd & PCH.
Liquor stores near the beach have frozen stuff, look for 'Bait' sign.

For grunions and smelts, I use fresh shrimp pieces on #10 or #12 hooks; for macks and tom cods, cut macks or larger pieces of shrimp on #8 to #2 hooks.
bflf
I'd pin on one of the above with a 20lb - 40lb size setup, 2/0 hook, 2 - 4 oz weight.
Go Big.
Depends if you want to kick back on a pier, chair, chill, (kids, wife, gf ?)
or charge like Swat crew or others.
DR

Newfishsmell
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
bflf

I was there on Sunday with my daughter , and did pretty good on the Albacore with
the greenbacks !
And for dessert , we had vanilla ice cream cones ... lol

smokehound
10-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Psh, nobody can top my Lingcod from Bolsa Chica.

DockRat
10-07-2011, 08:54 AM
At first it went over my head ??? This Newbie must be confused ?
He must be thinking a lizard fish is a albacore or something ?
Then a minute later I figured it out. :Smash: Lol

Psh, nobody can top my Lingcod from Bolsa Chica.

? SH No Comprende ? Please bump or copy paste T jack.
DR

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM
yup i have no idea whats up

vince
10-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Everyone having fun on our expense. Sarcasm is alive and well, when it comes to helping a new angler. Albacore is a kind of tuna that is found offshore, and maybe in the 1920's could be caught off piers. Cod fish, if not mistaken, are found in deep water, unless they are talking about a "tom cod" which is not really cod but a croaker. Then "they" discussed plastics. These are artificial lures that "smart" anglers use to to fool the "stupid" fish. uhuh. Best thing to learn is go out there at the pier, and use bait, collected near shore, or bought at the tackle shop (Big Fish). They are very helpful, Shawn Morgon (Owner/Proprietor) will help you there, if you have any questions. He's fished these waters since 1980's. For the rest of the comments, I feel are TROLLS. See defintion here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet).

vanillagurilla
10-11-2011, 02:47 PM
actualy he was talking about using a credit card "plastics" or cash "green backs" to buy food "cod or albacore" at the DINER lol

smokehound
10-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Everyone having fun on our expense. Sarcasm is alive and well, when it comes to helping a new angler. Albacore is a kind of tuna that is found offshore, and maybe in the 1920's could be caught off piers. Cod fish, if not mistaken, are found in deep water, unless they are talking about a "tom cod" which is not really cod but a croaker. Then "they" discussed plastics. These are artificial lures that "smart" anglers use to to fool the "stupid" fish. uhuh. Best thing to learn is go out there at the pier, and use bait, collected near shore, or bought at the tackle shop (Big Fish). They are very helpful, Shawn Morgon (Owner/Proprietor) will help you there, if you have any questions. He's fished these waters since 1980's. For the rest of the comments, I feel are TROLLS. See defintion here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet).You do realize right this very instant, that YOU'RE trolling, right?

vince
10-11-2011, 04:37 PM
You do realize right this very instant, that YOU'RE trolling, right?

He asked for advise, and I gave it.

How is that trolling ?

smokehound
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
He asked for advise, and I gave it.

How is that trolling ?"I use plastics to get cod or albacore at Ruby's at the end of the pier. I understand greenbacks work just as well there." Read that a few times. it was a joke.

DockRat
10-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Attn Vince ! The Plastics/Greenbacks JOKE went over your head, me too at first.
They are talking about BUYING FISH at Ruby's. Here is a pic.

That was a great Joke. Still don't know what SH Lingcod joke ?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/missruthamy/rubys%20on%20the%20seal%20beach%20pier/pier10.png
DR

DockRat
10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Albacore is a kind of tuna that is found offshore, and maybe in the 1920's could be caught off piers.

Don't forget about the 40 lb Wahoo in Long Beach Harbor or
guys catching Tuna by hand at Imperial Beach.

BOTH ARE TRUE STORIES THAT HAPPENED IN 2010 !

Waiting for Redondo Tuna to come back.

More true stories below, the Pacific Ocean is HUGE, anything is possible.

Yes they have caught Tuna off Redondo Pier (deep canyon 1/8 mile from pier)
In the 80's a Purse Seiner illegally scooped 20 ton of Tuna in 50' of water off Seal Beach.

Friend of mine scooped 55 Ton of Tuna in the mid 80's between Catalina and Clemente in one day on his dads SP Seiner.

A Swordfish was under the dock in King Harbor for a few days late 70's.

School of salmon under the fuel dock at couple years ago.

20' + Great White taking bites off a dead whale in San Pedro 90's.
Pics were in the Daily Breeze newspaper.

Just last year they had a record 40 + Whales off Pt Vicente PV eating krill.
Ect Ect

DR